Rust Valley Restorers , a new low ?

1912Staver

I’m 30 and hate most all “reality” tv shows, especially the car ones. But my dad loves them (the car ones), every time I pass by the television he tells me to wait and watch what  they are doing. It’s usually all the same thing, doing some extraordinary work with less than two hours to go. I humor my old man, but am truly disgusted at the shows. 

Honestly the only one I could ever stomach was Motortrend’s Roadkill, but I stopped watching after they went fully commercial and left YouTube for cable tv. 

• Like 2

On 4/7/2019 at 1:33 PM, Ottawa said:

All the while being his own boss and answering to no one.

Yeah good luck with that. Everybody answers to someone. In the workplace, it's your boss, in business it's your customers, If married, ya answer to her, if independently wealthy, ya answer to the IRS. :)

-Ron

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, woodstocker said:

I recently had a good look underneath a 1975 or so Rolls Royce that was supposed to be "restored" by a shop here in Canada that has it's own Reality TV show on History Channel. It was really, really bad. I mean cobbled together in a very poor way. But the paint was very shiny!!

In fairness to all cars that go to a "Restoration Shop" few people will ever know what the owner requested, maybe that Rolls you saw went in for paint only, and the crappy work was dome years before some were else. When I used to paint a house I'd take a walk around with the owner and point out drips and spill areas from the last gut that showed up to paint the place. 

Bob 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, JamesR said:

My theory is that many of us like old cars because they remind of us a world that, while not perfect, was a little better adjusted than the world of today.

I unhitched my wagon from the train of society's progress a long time ago and that is definitely why I like old vehicles and technology. They lost me somewhere around "Boy George"

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, 1937hd45 said:

In fairness to all cars that go to a "Restoration Shop" few people will ever know what the owner requested, maybe that Rolls you saw went in for paint only, and the crappy work was dome years before some were else. When I used to paint a house I'd take a walk around with the owner and point out drips and spill areas from the last gut that showed up to paint the place. 

Bob 

That may very well be the case. But this car was slapped together with many rough edges of bodywork only visible down low. Not professional at all. As for the chassis I can't see how an ethically run shop could or would do a very expensive "Mop 'N Glo' job on a badly rusted and shoddily repaired car that was not safe to drive.

2 hours ago, jeff_a said:

You mean the James Cromwell who was Vice President of Peerless Motor Car Corporation, and married to auto Heiress Delphine Dodge and later tobacco heiress Doris Duke?

Image result for james cromwell, hawaii     ddpph13009034.jpg.......................................................................................................photos from pinterest and Duke University Library..........car  described as "1938 Packard Convertible"

Nope, not that one.... the actor one...

1B5916631-130207-JamesCromwell-vmed-5p_fit-760w.jpg

43 minutes ago, Locomobile said:

Yeah good luck with that. Everybody answers to someone. In the workplace, it's your boss, in business it's your customers, If married, ya answer to her, if independently wealthy, ya answer to the IRS. :)

-Ron

And then................. finally............ the grim reaper has the last word...................Bob

• Like 1

Not all, but many segments of the old car hobby have been an important part of my life for 60 years. I don't take this goofy crap as entertainment or any manner of my reality.

I simply take it as an affront to me and the hobby I enjoy. That goes for the buffoon "actors", the formulae script writers, the climactic directors, and the ignorant sponsors. If I don't sound as tolerant or liberal as many it must just be a different value system that I was raised with.

When I came inside from the garage I was happy because I found a replacement torque tube for my Allis Chalmers B, better go back out. I'm ;losing the Adrenalin buzz.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, woodstocker said:

That may very well be the case. But this car was slapped together with many rough edges of bodywork only visible down low. Not professional at all. As for the chassis I can't see how an ethically run shop could or would do a very expensive "Mop 'N Glo' job on a badly rusted and shoddily repaired car that was not safe to drive.

Maybe, but there were a lot of cheap customers that would pay for paint and "its good enough" on other things. As a shop worker the lines I hated the most were "nobady will ever see it" and "it is good enough", car owner would NEVER admit he wanted second rate work in public, and crap work makes any shop look bad. Bob 

2 hours ago, woodstocker said:

That'll do, Little Pig, that'll do.

On ‎12‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 1:33 PM, John_S_in_Penna said:

I remember when the History Channel had 

good programs on HISTORY;  when the

Learning Channel had programs for LEARNING.

I gave up my television service a few years ago

and don't miss it in the least!

I am with John on this one. Got rid of our satellite system and put up a tv antenna and never looked back . As the 64 stations we get now have enough crap to watch.

Thanks to the digital TV revolution, putting up an antenna for me in this rural area gets me nothing watchable. At least when the signal was analog I could get a snowy picture.😏

So I have cable with internet. Cable for other people in the house, and internet for everyone!😁

Yes, I like NONE of the restoration shows. Having run a collision shop I know how shops work, and that made up drama pales in comparison to the real drama of a shop, but that would not make good TV!

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/26/2019 at 9:27 PM, Frank DuVal said:

Thanks to the digital TV revolution, putting up an antenna for me in this rural area gets me nothing watchable. At least when the signal was analog I could get a snowy picture.😏

Yes that was a real shame. I get spotty reception. So I might be watching a show, national news or 60 minutes, for a few minutes, maybe 10, then the signal drops away.

They promised us free converter boxes, but didn't disclose the propagation would be so much worse.

Rust Valley Restorations is filmed right here in my backyard. I have no TV subscription and have not seen 1 episode. I can say I’ve seen the same dreadlocks at a few local cars shows. I just move on and keep enjoying the cars. I got nothing to say. No clue about ‘em. 

I love my TV free life. 

• Like 1

Our transmitter is in San Francisco, and I am 60 miles north.

Mount Tam is in the way of line-of-sight propagation.

image.jpeg.2ae0036517b6b71c75e6a862f8da8099.jpeg

Mount Tamalpais
Peak in California
Mount Tamalpais is a peak in Marin County, California, United States, often considered symbolic of Marin County. Much of Mount Tamalpais is protected within public lands such as Mount Tamalpais State Park, the Marin Municipal Water District watershed, and National Park Service land, such as Muir Woods. Wikipedia
Elevation: 2,572′

• 2 weeks later...

3 pages.

I had to tune in.

I have to tell you guys, I am stunned by all the negative replies about this show when you should be embracing it. Granted, it ain't Masterpiece Theater but.....

I like it and I get it for what it is.... a comedy!

Heavens to Murgatroid! A comedy about cars. I like cars, so do you. Sure they're kind of hacks but therein lies the humor. Three regular dudes (not actors) working on cars.  If they were all clean cut and did nothing but the highest level of painstaking resto work it would be BORING and garner zero audience.

You guys are debating the literal correctness of Gilligan's Island here.

I find it a refreshing change from the tsunami of zombie trash and kudos the producers for breaking from the current Hollywood checklist:

1- black guy- check

1- oriental girl- check

1- native American- check

1- gay man- check

1- lesbian- check

1- one dumb white guy to be the butt of all jokes- check

Geez, lighten up you guys. Crack a beer, tune in and yell at your TV. It's fun.

waldorf-and-statler.jpg

Edited by GregLaR (see edit history)

4 hours ago, GregLaR said:

3 pages.

I had to tune in.

I have to tell you guys, I am stunned by all the negative replies about this show when you should be embracing it. Granted, it ain't Masterpiece Theater but.....

I like it and I get it for what it is.... a comedy!

Heavens to Murgatroid! A comedy about cars. I like cars, so do you. Sure they're kind of hacks but therein lies the humor. Three regular dudes (not actors) working on cars.  If they were all clean cut and did nothing but the highest level of painstaking resto work it would be BORING and garner zero audience.

You guys are debating the literal correctness of Gilligan's Island here.

I find it a refreshing change from the tsunami of zombie trash and kudos the producers for breaking from the current Hollywood checklist:

1- black guy- check

1- oriental girl- check

1- native American- check

1- gay man- check

1- lesbian- check

1- one dumb white guy to be the butt of all jokes- check

Geez, lighten up you guys. Crack a beer, tune in and yell at your TV. It's fun.

waldorf-and-statler.jpg

I can’t argue with the Muppets photo!

i loved those old guys on that show. I’ve been practicing ever since. Looking forward to getting a cane so I can shake it at people and mumble some unintelligible thing about kids. 

I have a cane-brella, even better.  Not much else to do other than watch TV when over 90 in the garage and the cats are sleeping. Just turn it on and set pause then go do something else for an hour or so. x4 through the commercials. And if want to protect your car while parked, there is nothing as good as a blue parking pass.

BTW thought many actors had really short haircuts so they could wear any kind of wig.