Rust Valley Restorers , a new low ?

1912Staver

Did anyone else catch the debut of a new History channel car show "Rust Valley Restorers "? Verging on unwatchable in my humble opinion, I was curious as it is filmed reasonably near to me in British Columbia's interior. Every cliché in the book and the most absurd premise imaginable.

Greg in Canada..., surely TV land can do better.

I just looked them up. I am not much of a fan of "entertainment for the masses" anyway.

But this made me laugh:

"Sup bro'. We're here about your car on Craigslist."

image.thumb.png.0d80e9128ad2868f88e902addf63f7b3.png

How about a show called Drunk Casting Crew? Appearance and body language are completely lost in this century.

Bernie

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Matt Harwood said:

a white guy older than 50

I bet he's the tyrant boss.

I've seen those three before. ----- with their other hair.

image.png.d4c20c8b3b4c4468d5091737d51e8a32.png

I just realized- that's not hair. Its the macrame like my ex brother in law learned to make in rehab.

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)

21 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

I just looked them up. I am not much of a fan of "entertainment for the masses" anyway.

But this made me laugh:

How about a show called Drunk Casting Crew? Appearance and body language are completely lost in this century.

Bernie

A young version of David Crosby (Crosby Stills Nash and Young)  on the left,  on the same type creative self medication,

The sad part is that they throw buckets of advertising money at those guys. If you Google the net worth of some of the cast of those TV shows it is down right incredible. I don't usually watch those shows but on occasion I catch one and some of the work they do is comical. I remember one show and they used 1/4" x 2" cork instead of frame webbing on a '34 Ford. How long do you think that lasted?

Yep - These guys are laughing all the way to the bank.  Unfortunately, I too remember when the History Channel was about History.  We've been "dumbed down".  I'd like to see the AACA do their thing one more time.  Where's our hero Tom Cox when we need him?

These car shows are often not meant for auto enthusiasts.  We are not the target market.  They are meant for people who find this sort of thing entertaining.  If you don’t like a show, it’s because it’s not a show that was made for you to like.  It was made for someone else.  Turn the channel.

• Like 5

On 12/7/2018 at 12:50 PM, 60FlatTop said:

But this made me laugh:

Bernie

I wondered what happened to The Offspring.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, 39BuickEight said:

These car shows are often not meant for auto enthusiasts.  We are not the target market.  They are meant for people who find this sort of thing entertaining.  If you don’t like a show, it’s because it’s not a show that was made for you to like.  It was made for someone else.  Turn the channel.

Good point, I've never had the chance to use a forge or blacksmith equipment , but I'm a faithful fan of "Forged in Fire". Nine times out of ten I can pick the winner or runner up just after the introductions. Good show. Bob 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, AJFord54 said:

I find it amazing that you guys know who Ron Jeremy is! :) :)  

ah my friend, we could say the same about you! :D

Errr....aaahhh.... Isn't he the guy that restored Camaros back in the '70s?  :):wub:

No, I believe he was a guy known for working on rear ends.😉

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, 39BuickEight said:

If you don’t like a show, it’s because it’s not a show that was made for you to like.  It was made for someone else.  Turn the channel.

True, but a lot of shows must be accidentally made for

very few to like.  Their content isn't substantial enough,

or is lame enough, that there aren't many

"someone elses" to keep them going.  A lot of these

shows seem to fail---

• 2 months later...
On 12/8/2018 at 1:53 PM, Buick64C said:

I wondered what happened to The Offspring.

I love these guys there genuine, I hope they can keep it going . Got to give it to mike he has an incredible collection. You guys that don’t like them go back to watching your grays anatomy, or third rock. Keep going rust valley you guys rock. Mike from Drumheller 👍

• 1 month later...
On 12/7/2018 at 2:45 PM, Matt Harwood said:

If you're a white guy older than 50 and still sporting dreadlocks, you have made a very wrong turn in your life somewhere.

The guy ran a sucessful business, made a reasonable amount of money, and is now embarking on a new career and has a TV show. All the while being his own boss and answering to no one. Can you say the same?  If you judge people by the length of their hair it is more likely you who "made a very wrong turn in life".  l

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
On 12/9/2018 at 1:06 PM, JACK M said:

This is what I do when there are Zombies or walking dead in the title.

What the heck is wrong with people these days?

It isn't the people, it's the cable channels, they are scrambling to get the audience back and why they keep stretching with these ridiculous fake low budget shows. Most young people don't watch TV like us older people did, and lot's of older people got fed up and quit Cable years ago. When there were only a few major networks broadcasting, advertising was very expensive, so there were few commercials and higher quality programming. When cable came along with hundreds of channels, advertising became dirt cheap because of the competition, two things happened, the money to produce quality programming disappeared and they combated it by selling more commercial time, running as many as 20 ads in a row during commercial break, more people quit. Cable TV is in a death spiral.

Many of the Cable channels are trying to make the segway in to social media, thinking they can somehow monopolize and trap a new audience in to sitting through the commercials again, it's laughable how poorly they do, some random guy talking about substantive intelligent issues in his kitchen on a laptop gets more viewership.

-Ron

Amazing, two pages on a terrible show, personally anyone who can't afford a razor or haircut already has a few strikes against. (Wayne's mustache is neatly trimmed, Dan is free from any paraphernalia. Maybe what I want is "Delta Force Restorers".

BTW I was taught that long hair, or a beard, or dangling jewelry on anyone near rotating machinery is not a good idea...

On 12/7/2018 at 2:48 PM, Lahti35 said:

Guy in the center looks like James Cromwell... younger brother maybe? lol.

You mean the James Cromwell who was Vice President of Peerless Motor Car Corporation, and married to auto heiress Delphine Dodge, and later tobacco heiress Doris Duke?

Image result for james cromwell, hawaii     ddpph13009034.jpg.......................................................................................................photos from pinterest and Duke University Library..........car  described as "1938 Packard Convertible"

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)

I packed it less than 5 minutes of watching. Same old formula for these "reality' car TV shows. I recently had a good look underneath a 1975 or so Rolls Royce that was supposed to be "restored" by a shop here in Canada that has it's own Reality TV show on History Channel. It was really, really bad. I mean cobbled together in a very poor way. But the paint was very shiny!!

On 12/7/2018 at 1:45 PM, Matt Harwood said:

If you're a white guy older than 50 and still sporting dreadlocks, you have made a very wrong turn in your life somewhere.

Or his parents made the wrong turn...9 months prior to his birth. :D

My theory is that many of us like old cars because they remind of us a world that, while not perfect, was a little better adjusted than the world of today.

• Like 2