For Sale: John W. Hobbs Reel Out Trunk/Under Hood Light

Riviera63

I have for sale a very nice John W. Hobbs accessory reel out trunk/under hood light. This light does not have the mercury switch as the ones that were used in our Rivieras. This would be the type which would have been used on Pontiacs and other GM models where it is connected to the headlight/tail light power feed. You need to have the parking lights/headlights on to use. I added trunk lights to all of the several 1963 Pontiacs I owned and they all tied into that power source. The light comes with a power feed line. I am offering it up to Forum members first before putting it on E-bay as I thought someone might like this set up rather than the mercury switch. It has been cleaned, repainted and tested. The line pulls out and retracts fully and the lens is perfect. One thing I noticed with these lights is that when you take them in and out the bracket scratches the top of the light and the bottom of the light scratches the bracket. I added felt to the underside of the bracket arms and also to the bottom of the light. This should eliminate or at least minimize the scratches keeping the light looking like new. With the felt pads on the bottom of the light also enables you to place the light on any surface without worrying about it scratching that surface. The felt is removable if you so choose. $75.00 plus S & H. Please PM me if interested. Thanks.

Bill

IMG_4922.JPG

IMG_4923.JPG

IMG_4913.JPG

IMG_4914.JPG

IMG_4915.JPG

IMG_4916.JPG

IMG_4917.JPG

IMG_4924.JPG

Just now, telriv said:

IF you don't want to use the lights for a power source you can just hook-up a toggle switch, conveniently  located, that is powered by 12vlts. all the time & use an in-line fuse for protection at the originating point.

Tom,

That is a great idea. I might even do that with the new light I will install in the spring. That way I won't have to worry about battery drain if I forget to close the trunk or leave it open for an extended period as at a car show. Maybe this is not something I need to be concerned with. 

Bill

Bill,

In that case I would put a toggle switch, again in a convenient location, & wire it to the incoming wire for the trunk light somewhere by the left hinge hidden by the Gray cover. This way you can turn off the light independently of the Mercury switch. AND, you don't have to worry about an in-line fuse as that wire is already fused.

Tom T.

Another thought Bill.

IF you used an LED bulb you wouldn't have to worry about how much heat is generated from an incandescent bulb if the trunk lid is left open for any amount of time. The LED won't dis-color the paint from the heat because there is very little if any heat. 

The other positive is that an LED draws so little power you could probably leave the trunk open for a week & the battery would not go dead. ALSO it will more than likely be brighter.

Just another thought.

Tom T.

1 hour ago, telriv said:

Another thought Bill.

IF you used an LED bulb you wouldn't have to worry about how much heat is generated from an incandescent bulb if the trunk lid is left open for any amount of time. The LED won't dis-color the paint from the heat because there is very little if any heat. 

The other positive is that an LED draws so little power you could probably leave the trunk open for a week & the battery would not go dead. ALSO it will more than likely be brighter.

Just another thought.

Tom T.

Tom,

Heat is an aspect I never thought about. I do have several instances where I leave the trunk open for long periods. Up until now I just removed the bulb. Putting in the reel out light will make that problematic. Using an LED would certainly be much simpler than removing the bulb every time or adding an on/off switch. I will give that a try. Thanks.

Bill