Greasing window channels?

65VerdeGS

Any tips on the best way to grease the window channels on my '65?

I recently swapped out the clear glass on my Riv with Soft-Ray tinted glass.  All good, and it looks great!   Now I want to grease the window channels while everything is apart (and adjust those pesky rear quarter windows - but that's a story for another post). 

I heard that lithium grease is the correct stuff to use to lube the window tracks, so I went out and bought a spray can of it.

So far so good, but how do you spray the lube into the tracks?  The window rollers run in these tracks but the open side of the tracks are not accessible from the outside, especially  on the rear quarter windows where they're only accessible through an access hole covered by a piece of removable metal.  I guess I could contort and spray into wherever I can get to the tracks, hoping enough of it gets into the rest of each track?  Do I spray where I can access the inner track and hope the rollers carry the lube to the rest of the track?

Anyone have tips on how to do this job?

Thanks,

aaammm

Some spray cans of lithium grease come with a hollow plastic tube that can be inserted into the can nozzle to direct the spray?

Otherwise you can use a small disposable brush to spread the grease into the tracks - oil all the bare steel pivot points with a silicone spry while your at it, and ensure the glass moves smoothly and freely without any binding. Apply the grease and light oil sparingly, a little helps a lot!

Edited by 68RIVGS (see edit history)

When u said “while everything is apart” I thought u meant everything was still apart haha. But it sounds like u put it all back together.

I greased the tracks while they were out of the car before install. Like someone already said, I used a little brush (solder flux applicator brush about 15 cents at HF). I bought a small tub of lithium grease not the spray. 

U might still be able to use the brush method thru the two access holes for your quarter windows. You’ll have to take front door skins off to access tracks to use the brush. Or not & just try that spray. 

Good luck

5 minutes ago, RockinRiviDad said:

When u said “while everything is apart” I thought u meant everything was still apart haha. But it sounds like u put it all back together.

I greased the tracks while they were out of the car before install. Like someone already said, I used a little brush (solder flux applicator brush about 15 cents at HF). I bought a small tub of lithium grease not the spray. 

U might still be able to use the brush method thru the two access holes for your quarter windows. You’ll have to take front door skins off to access tracks to use the brush. Or not & just try that spray. 

Good luck

I had all the glass replaced by a glass shop.  It wasn't easy to find a shop willing to take this on!   So, they did the swap, including the back window and the vent windows, both those I didn't want to take on and possibly mess up being likely the only time I would swap the glass out of a car! 

When i picked up the car the guy told me he'd used WD-40 to lube the tracks!  What could I say??   Anyhow, I assumed the shops would know their trade.  His lame-o excuse was he didn't have any white lube on hand (aka lithium grease) so he used WD-40 instead!   

So yes, the car is back together.  I'm not so worried about the door tracks as they run smoothly.  I might just pull the outer door panels to properly lube the tracks anyway as I know WD-40 isn't going to last.  The rear quarter windows are creaky (I have power windows) and one side is binding slightly.  Also, the quarter windows need to be adjusted to bring the top of both windows "in" as they'll bind against the door glass if it is up. Joy!  I know adjusting those quarter windows is a PIA, but I'm going to give it my best shot.  Wish me luck.

I'll try the tiny tube in the lithium grease can, as well as the brushing in method suggested.

Thanks guys for your tips!

My 65 has power windows as well, and my right rear quarter window was fussy about coming up all the way on it's own. Had to give it a little tug while working the switch. Sprayed in a shot of silicone spray with the little red nozzle on the can, and all is right with the world now. Had to wipe the excess off with a rag the first few times I used it, but it works perfectly now.

On pretty much every power window car I've ever worked on I've used regular old motor oil in a pump type oiler, usually 50 or 20w50 weight. The oiler allows you to get the oil where you want it to go without disassembling everything. Oil all the tracks, motor linkage and pivot points then move the window up and down a number of times until it is working smoothly. Then I use wheel bearing grease (Not lithium) and grease the tracks and sector gear by hand. Very messy job but assuming the motor works at all this will get everything moving correctly.

• Like 1