Sign in to follow this  
Pete Phillips

425 V8 in 1963 Buicks--here's proof

I am always challenged on whether the 425 in my '63 Wildcat is correct or not. I was looking for something else this morning and ran across my copy of this Dealer Service Advisory letter, dated Dec. 5, 1962 (hmmm--exactly 56 years ago to the day!). It states that the 425 has now been released as an option in the 1963 4700 series which is Riviera, and in the 4600 series which is the Wildcats.  I have another Service Advisory letter that states the 425 is painted silver with a red air cleaner, even in the Wildcats. Will try to post that one later.

Pete Phillips

EPSON002.JPG

• Thanks 1

And here is the dealer advisory letter on the engine color for the 425s in 1963. 4600 series is Wildcat; 4700 series is Riviera. Red air cleaner; silver engine, even in a Wildcat if it has the 425.

Pete

EPSON003.JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hi Pete,

I recall supplying you with these bulletins...yes, the 425 was a late addition to the `63 lineup. The `63 Riv was always intended to be built with power and performance in mind and the 425 catered to that design goal.

Tom Mooney

PS I may also have a "zone letter" that announces the availability of the 425

• Like 1

Pete,

What is the build date for your Wildcat?  Jim Cannon has a registry of '63 Rivieras and if I remember correctly, an ROA member in Illinois has a car built in December and so far it's the earliest known 425 equipped Riviera in the registry.

I find it interesting that in the service info bulletin dated in January that Buick refers to the engine color for models. other than 4600 w/425 and all 4700, as blue.  

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

The ROA has the numbers on how many 1963 Rivieras were equipped with each engine, the 401 and the 425.

Year Body Code 
* see note
Total Production     Engine Size HP 
** see note
Carbs Produced
1963 4747 40,000 Standard: Wildcat 445 401 cu. in. V8 325 1x4bbl (37399)
      Option: Wildcat 465 425 cu. in. V8 340 1x4bbl (2601)