35dodgekcl

1935 Dodge KCL - need help

I have found a ‘35 Dodge KCL I want to purchase but the title number has a DSP prefix (Directors Special/Serial Plate) and that number is not found anywhere on the vehicle and was never affixed by the DMV for whatever reason.

If The serial numbers on the cab and frame are intact, does anyone know of a way to properly revert the title back to the original serial numbers?   The previous title number from another state are shown on the current title.

concern is that if an insurance claim was ever necessary and the title doesn’t match the vehicle it may be declined.  Or for an out of state purchaser having issues with transferring title to new home state.

any insight would be appreciated.

8 hours ago, rjtx667 said:

not sure about where you live, but in Texas you would have to do a Bonded title.

Same for Cali

Thank you both for the quick reply.  As I’ve been searching for one, I’m finding it quite common for these KC’s to not have titles most of the time.  Is that more common than not, or am I just not coming across the right vehicles?  From a resale perspective, with a bonded title, how substantial of an impact on value should I expect if or when I ever decided to part with it?  

This is only driver quality and a good candidate to mildly restore..   does not have original engine or tranny, so it will never be all that as a collector item.

Bonds on the title expire after 3 years in Cali, title is solid after that.

Q: Does a Bonded Title look different than a regular title?

A: Not really. The only difference between a Bonded Title and a regular title is that a Bonded Title is branded ‘bonded’. A Bonded Title and a regular title function exactly the same and allow you to register, insure, and sell your vehicle.

The ‘bonded’ brand can be removed from your title usually within 3-5 years (depending on the state you live in).

The 3-5 year time period starts from the date the original bonded title was issued. It does not start over if the title is transferred into someone else's name. 

Once the 3-5 year period ends, it is the responsibility of the current title owner to go to the DMV and apply for a clean title.

Edited by Surf City '38 (see edit history)