Sign in to follow this  
RatFink255

One of a Kind Buick

I had the privilege of rebuilding the complete valve train for Paul Marr when they were restoring the car.  I was introduced to Paul by my good friend, the late Terry Dunham.  I did manage to see the car with the body on the frame before the restoration work started.  This is truly one awesome automobile.  If you ever get the chance to see this automobile in person and hear that engine run, you will be absolutely amazed.  The photo shows every piece that makes up the caged valve assembly.  Everything was laid out and documented before the rebuilding started.  New valve springs were made.  New stainless valves were obtained.  New spring cups and caps and spring keepers were made.  The keepers and caps were heat treated.  The cages were rebuilt by machining and pressing in new valve guides.  And lastly, new brass sealing rings were made.  The valve cage nuts really were not in all that bad of condition and I spent a few hours straightening them up with a hand file.  It was a fun project and I got a lot of personal satisfaction knowing that I was working on parts for the only engine like it in the world.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

Buick Taillight 027.jpg

• Like 5

Here is a photo of the caged valve assemblies ready to be sent back to Paul Marr.  There is a lot of work represented here.  Every time that I see Paul and the car he tells me that it runs just perfectly.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

ASSEMBLED CAGES 002.jpg

• Like 6

That engine must have extraordinary torque with that 4.5" stroke. It could probably drive up a cliff.

I wonder why they didn,t put those oilers on all their engines.

1915-Buick-V12-LF-detail.jpg