Sign in to follow this  
OrtonvilleBob

Sway Bar Bushing Orientation

The hole in the replacement sway bar bushings is not centered. When installing them does the thicker wall go towards the front or rear of the vehicle? I didn't realize the bushings weren't symmetrical so I didn't pay attention to the orientation when I removed the old, deteriorated set from my '53 Catalina.

New Sway Bar Bushings.jpg

bob, i hope you'll look at my posting in the our cars and restoration projects titled 1953 pontiac chieftain custom catalina restoration.

pontiac1953, I'll have more photos soon. This photo gives the impression the car is in great shape. But looks can be deceiving and I'm still inventorying all the problems that keep it from being road worthy. It had been sitting at a consignment dealership for about 8 years. Unfortunately, there is no history of the maintenance or reworks that have done to it. And there are some real mysteries. Just one example: it's the 8-cylinder engine and has power steering but the harmonic balancer not only doesn't have the pulley for the power steering pump belt the part number on the damper says it's from a 6-cylinder engine. I will have a bunch of questions and will be looking for advice as soon as I wrap my head around what I've gotten myself into. And, honestly, your restoration project was inspiration to even consider tackling this challenge.

Car with hood up - Crop.jpg

• Like 1

hi bob, have located a nos straight eight non power steering harmonic balancer, and i know a very talented 1954 pontiac guy in alabama who has before taken a non power steering harmonic balancer and modified it to have the power steering pulley added to it. if you would like, i can contact him and see if he'll agree to do one for you.

hi bob, i have found the correct straight eight harmonic balancer for power steering 1953 & 1954 pontiacs, let me know if you want to buy it. charles.

hi ortonville bob, i need to know if you're interested in buying the correct 268 power steering harmonic balancer, thank you.