Oh no, body rot!! :(

psychostang

So, my car has lots of undercoating on the rear of the vehicle.  Yesterday I was airing the right rear tire, and I noticed a split in the coating.  So, I pulled it down and this is what I found.  I know the vehicle was damaged by a hail storm, but the seller never mentioned that the back glass was damaged.  I didn't find this out until after the vehicle arrived.  So I believe the back of the cabin was drenched.

IMG_20181202_132304.jpg

IMG_20181202_132315.jpg

IMG_20181202_170746.jpg

IMG_20181202_172046.jpg

Edited by psychostang (see edit history)

5 hours ago, psychostang said:

So, my car has lots of undercoating on the rear of the vehicle.  Yesterday I was airing the right rear tire, and I noticed a split in the coating.  So, I pulled it down and this is what I found.  I know the vehicle was damaged by a hail storm, but the seller never mentioned that the back glass was damaged.  I didn't find this out until after the vehicle arrived.  No I believe the back of the cabin was drenched.

IMG_20181202_132304.jpg

IMG_20181202_132315.jpg

IMG_20181202_170746.jpg

IMG_20181202_172046.jpg

All of this damage was not caused by a broken rear window, but by years of having a rusted out rear window channel letting

water into the trunk and back seat area. All of these cars have this problem unless you find one that was never driven in the rain and

never sat outside in the rain. My Dad's 65 riviera that he bought new had this problem in 1970, and it was a garaged car that was rarely driven in the rain.

5 hours ago, psychostang said:

So, my car has lots of undercoating on the rear of the vehicle.  Yesterday I was airing the right rear tire, and I noticed a split in the coating.  So, I pulled it down and this is what I found.  I know the vehicle was damaged by a hail storm, but the seller never mentioned that the back glass was damaged.  I didn't find this out until after the vehicle arrived.  No I believe the back of the cabin was drenched.

IMG_20181202_132304.jpg

IMG_20181202_132315.jpg

IMG_20181202_170746.jpg

IMG_20181202_172046.jpg

Andrew wear a mask when cleaning up that debris and try no to kick it up too much, that's a mouse nest I can smell the urine from here. It will make you sick.

That looks nasty!  

Yes, it's fixable, but first you'll need to remove the back window and get that rusted window channel repaired.  Then the trunk. 

I went through the same, as have many others with 1st Gen Rivs.  I guess I was lucky, because the rot on my car only extended to the trunk floor.  Water somehow didn't invade the back seat area which remains solid.

Good luck getting your car fixed. 

• 2 months later...

So, I just went into the car tonight with all my protective gear on. to try and clean up and inspect the rear floor pan.  This is what I found.  I also confirmed that I need a replacement rear seat frame.  I still have to remove the seats and carpet to check the rest of the floor pan.

IMG_20190210_184149.jpg

IMG_20190210_184208.jpg

You may want to do some further investigation under , around , inside , as to how rotted out the car really is before committing to spending more money on it. 

I don’t know your skill set on fabrication / welding etc ... but that car screams time and lots of dollars !!!!  I looked at about 30 63-65 Riviera before I found my 99.999 percent rust free car , it sure was nice restoring this one !  They are out there , may be time better spent to find a cleaner , rust free car to own and enjoy for the long term !!! I

pull up the front carpets 

check the outer rocker boxes 

check the trunk floor 

check the front and rear window channels 

👍👍👍

Let us know what you find 

On ‎2‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 12:45 PM, telriv said:

ALSO check the inner rocker boxes & the front seat bracing.

Agreed.  The ends of the under floor bracing just loves to collect dirt and water and rust them out from the inside.  Almost finished rebuilding mine due to the same issue.

• Like 1