Joe Block

Winter meet 2019 Ocala

Just registered for Judging at Ocala.

Don't yet know what I'll be showing - depends on several factors, but as a reminder -

Registration must be by February 1st

Looking forward to visiting with old friends,

and meeting new ones !!

• Like 1

See you there Marty.

Staying with inlaws in Claremont.

Mike in Colorado

PS ; My daughter loves the Explorer.........

On ‎12‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 7:59 AM, Marty Roth said:

Looking forward to visiting with you at Ocala - and also the '56 caddy caps😎

Marty,  your caps are here in Ocala, made the trip safe and sound from NY a few weeks ago, the weather seems to have broken down here this week. See you in a few

FYI,

The weather is looking good for next week, going up to the low 80's 

We are driving up from Clearwater to judge this year. The weather has been great all week and it looks like it will continue on Sat.  It's a 120 mile drive. Hope I am not late for the judge's breakfast. lol

I live in Ocala about 6 months of the year. I found a very good Italian restaurant about 1-2 miles west on RT 200 from the host hotel in the Publix shopping center. The restaurant is called Chef's of Napoli. I eat there a lot and never had a meal I did not enjoy!  I will post the exact address later today

Drove the 91 Buick Park Avenue up here from Sebring FL yesterday.  It has 3400 miles on it already from new now.  Be over 3600 by the time I get back home.  Scared I'm using it up.

It goes in it's first show tomorrow.  People can't believe it only has 3400 miles from new.

🙂

16 hours ago, John S. said:

Any photos? Thanks. John

I took a couple of photos of my car an others.  Will download the camera when I get home. Maybe some pics on Monday.  Our "new" 1991 Buick Park Avenue was well appreciated by everybody, including the judges.  She took a National 1st Junior.  Trophy weighs a ton(8.5 pounds I'm told).  I wish we could have also gotten our newly restored 1941 Buick Roadmaster there too but it wasn't in the cards.  Maybe next year in Miami.  Might drive the Park Avenue to Mobile in the Fall.  Can't go to Charlotte.

I've got photos but need to travel 9 hours home and go to work tomorrow first lol

Didn't  have anything to show and wife and I went saturday as spectators. 

Great place for the meet! Parking was handled professionally, great job.

Very much enjoyed looking at the cars/trucks/motorcycles and talking with their owners.

Porta potties sucked. 

9 hours ago, kdancy said:

Porta potties sucked. 

They always do, why didn't you go into the nice air conditioned building and use the facilities? I never even saw a port-a-san at the site.

Good time and a good job done by all involved

John Mahoney

• Like 1

There were a whole row of 10 or so right next to the corvette area on the west side. 

At 10:00 am Saturday they were filled to the brim. 

Anyway, the meet was enjoyable. Only saw one Hudson, a 53 Hornet sedan. I have a 52 Wasp sedan on the rotisserie in my shop and am doing work on a 51 Pacemaker now. Just finished installing a wire harness in a 57 Studebaker Golden Hawk for a 92 year old friend. 

as always I enjoyed the Ocala event and their improvements over our show a couple of years ago.  It is too bad the car numbers were down in the historically well attended class 36B.

I did set a personal best at this event though.  I busted 3 tires going down the 850 miles and busted 2 on the Sunday night return trip.  Had a very appreciated helper, Tommy Nolen,  who stopped by Sunday night for two of the the I-95 tire changes.  My lithium battery operated torque gun got a work out!  One of the tires that popped Sunday night was a vicious one causing serious damage to my trailer.  Tore off most of the aluminum fender, ripped two of the aluminum siding pieces and slight bending of the wheel well.  Now to find an ATC trailer dealer!

Robert

Edited by Robert Street (see edit history)
  • Sad 1

Robert, I feel your pain.  I've been there and replaced all 4 trailer tires at the next stop that had them in stock.  Thank goodness you nor anything other than the trailer was injured.  Now about the additional safety of radial tires...……...

Steve thanks that isn’t too far from me. There are no ATC dealers in MD I always heard because of trailer licenses and the taxes

robert

7 hours ago, Steve Moskowitz said:

Robert, a bit far away but I bought my ATC trailer in Lansdale, PA (by Philly)

Steve I have contacted the big ATC dealer down in Charlotte and I am impressed. They schedule your trailer for the shop and stock the fenders for my Quest series and the side panels. So they estimate a 48 hour turnaround for 4 panels and the fender. I am impressed!!

Robert

I will probably take trailer and visit the nascar museum and Rick Hendrick’s museum then pick it up!

robert

On 2/25/2019 at 9:09 PM, Robert Street said:

I did set a personal best at this event though.  I busted 3 tires going down the 850 miles and busted 2 on the Sunday night return trip.  Had a very appreciated helper, Tommy Nolen,  who stopped by Sunday night for two of the the I-95 tire changes.  My lithium battery operated torque gun got a work out!  One of the tires that popped Sunday night was a vicious one causing serious damage to my trailer.  Tore off most of the aluminum fender, ripped two of the aluminum siding pieces and slight bending of the wheel well.  Now to find an ATC trailer dealer!

Robert

So sorry to see your post about your trailer tire problems.

Any idea as to the cause of the tire failures? (ie debris on the road puncturing the tires, etc)

I lost a trailer tire on my way to Hershey one year thanks to debris slashing the sidewall of the tire.

I did not even know I lost that tire until I stopped for a periodic trailer check about 7 miles into my trip.

BTW, are you using a Tire Pressure Monitoring System for your trailer tires? I am looking at systems for my car trailer that monitors tire pressure and temperature. I think it is time for me to invest in a system before my 1,200 mile round trip to Auburn this year.

Also, does your ATC trailer have a street side escape door with the removable fender/wheel well? I have always wondered how these removable fender/wheel wells hold up in the event of a tire situation like you encountered.

5 hours ago, charlier said:

So sorry to see your post about your trailer tire problems.

Any idea as to the cause of the tire failures? (ie debris on the road puncturing the tires, etc)

I lost a trailer tire on my way to Hershey one year thanks to debris slashing the sidewall of the tire.

I did not even know I lost that tire until I stopped for a periodic trailer check about 7 miles into my trip.

BTW, are you using a Tire Pressure Monitoring System for your trailer tires? I am looking at systems for my car trailer that monitors tire pressure and temperature. I think it is time for me to invest in a system before my 1,200 mile round trip to Auburn this year.

Also, does your ATC trailer have a street side escape door with the removable fender/wheel well? I have always wondered how these removable fender/wheel wells hold up in the event of a tire situation like you encountered.

1.  No idea of tire failure as 4 were Goodyear Marathon that were 4 years old. The “Loadstar” was one of my pile of spares that had no exposure to sunlight except for brief spare usage and had a ten year old date. All 5 suddenly exploded and chunked the tread so puncture not likely.

2.  Yes I use a trailer tires monitor system and there was no reduction of air pressure nor build up of heat on the screen at either tire sensor prior to the big pop. Yes the alarm for each tire that went went off at almost the time I heard the pop.

3. My ATC is a 2007 model that doesn’t have the raised escape door over the fenders but does have an escape door placed correctly.

4.  There isn’t any structural damage just the siding panels and the fender. The interior aluminum wheel well is damaged but is still not allowing any water in.

5.  I don’t know what the outcome would be if a tire came apart with one of those doors. 

Robert

• Thanks 1