Winter meet 2019 Ocala

Joe Block

Robert, I feel your pain.  I've been there and replaced all 4 trailer tires at the next stop that had them in stock.  Thank goodness you nor anything other than the trailer was injured.  Now about the additional safety of radial tires...……...

7 hours ago, Steve Moskowitz said:

Robert, a bit far away but I bought my ATC trailer in Lansdale, PA (by Philly)

Steve I have contacted the big ATC dealer down in Charlotte and I am impressed. They schedule your trailer for the shop and stock the fenders for my Quest series and the side panels. So they estimate a 48 hour turnaround for 4 panels and the fender. I am impressed!!

Robert

On 2/25/2019 at 9:09 PM, Robert Street said:

I did set a personal best at this event though.  I busted 3 tires going down the 850 miles and busted 2 on the Sunday night return trip.  Had a very appreciated helper, Tommy Nolen,  who stopped by Sunday night for two of the the I-95 tire changes.  My lithium battery operated torque gun got a work out!  One of the tires that popped Sunday night was a vicious one causing serious damage to my trailer.  Tore off most of the aluminum fender, ripped two of the aluminum siding pieces and slight bending of the wheel well.  Now to find an ATC trailer dealer!

Robert

So sorry to see your post about your trailer tire problems.

Any idea as to the cause of the tire failures? (ie debris on the road puncturing the tires, etc)

I lost a trailer tire on my way to Hershey one year thanks to debris slashing the sidewall of the tire.

I did not even know I lost that tire until I stopped for a periodic trailer check about 7 miles into my trip.

BTW, are you using a Tire Pressure Monitoring System for your trailer tires? I am looking at systems for my car trailer that monitors tire pressure and temperature. I think it is time for me to invest in a system before my 1,200 mile round trip to Auburn this year.

Also, does your ATC trailer have a street side escape door with the removable fender/wheel well? I have always wondered how these removable fender/wheel wells hold up in the event of a tire situation like you encountered.

5 hours ago, charlier said:

So sorry to see your post about your trailer tire problems.

Any idea as to the cause of the tire failures? (ie debris on the road puncturing the tires, etc)

I lost a trailer tire on my way to Hershey one year thanks to debris slashing the sidewall of the tire.

I did not even know I lost that tire until I stopped for a periodic trailer check about 7 miles into my trip.

BTW, are you using a Tire Pressure Monitoring System for your trailer tires? I am looking at systems for my car trailer that monitors tire pressure and temperature. I think it is time for me to invest in a system before my 1,200 mile round trip to Auburn this year.

Also, does your ATC trailer have a street side escape door with the removable fender/wheel well? I have always wondered how these removable fender/wheel wells hold up in the event of a tire situation like you encountered.

1.  No idea of tire failure as 4 were Goodyear Marathon that were 4 years old. The “Loadstar” was one of my pile of spares that had no exposure to sunlight except for brief spare usage and had a ten year old date. All 5 suddenly exploded and chunked the tread so puncture not likely.

2.  Yes I use a trailer tires monitor system and there was no reduction of air pressure nor build up of heat on the screen at either tire sensor prior to the big pop. Yes the alarm for each tire that went went off at almost the time I heard the pop.

3. My ATC is a 2007 model that doesn’t have the raised escape door over the fenders but does have an escape door placed correctly.

4.  There isn’t any structural damage just the siding panels and the fender. The interior aluminum wheel well is damaged but is still not allowing any water in.

5.  I don’t know what the outcome would be if a tire came apart with one of those doors. 

Robert

• Thanks 1

Guest Mark McAlpine

Robert, Marion & I are sorry to hear about your tire problems on your return trip, but happy--as 61Polara said--that you weren't hurt, nor your car or truck.  After speaking with you in Ocala, we knew about your problems on the way down, but didn't know about the two blowouts on the way home.  (We've been tied up working on getting out our newsletter and just got around to checking the Forum.)  

I'm surprised to hear about the problems with the Goodyear Marathons.  Everything I've read over the last year said these are now made in the United States and are tires to buy, even if a bit expensive.  Because yours were 4 years old, maybe the newer ones are better quality.  (Or maybe all trailer tires are problematic.)

Again, we're glad you're okay.  We look forward to seeing you in Charlotte (and wish you a better trip).

No Mark, the Marathons used to be made in America but Goodyear started having them made in China about 4 or 5 years ago. A couple of years ago they introduced the Goodyear Endurance tire, it is made in America.  I have a set on one of my trailers and so far they have been good 

Thanks to my Judging Team in Ocala--John, John (Jack), Edward (Ned), and Louis (Lou).  You guys were great!  I look forward to serving with you again at future AACA National!

To those who didn't make it to the 2019 Winter National, there were some great cars there.  The owners should be proud!  

Marion's Judging Team - Ocala FL - 23 Feb 2019.jpg