Winter meet 2019 Ocala

Joe Block

Orlando and Tampa are about the same time as far as travel. Tampa is just an easier airport to get in and out of, no attraction traffic and planes full of kids screaming!  I have a part time home in Ocala, and travel there several times . There is an Airport in Gainesville about 35 miles away but not many direct flights to anywhere.

The problem with either location I had found is just make sure you are not landing in the late afternoon, there will be some traffic to deal with

Snowy day here in Virginia, not much to do so i thought I would make some reservations for the up coming show season. The host hotel for the Winter meet is full for Friday night, they do have a few rooms remaining for Thursday of Saturday nights but not wanting to have to move I checked the alternate hotel and was able to get rooms. This is the La Quinta which is right there near the host hotel. Better make your reservations if you plan to go

Thanks Tommy, were going to make our reservations too!  With all the nasty weather looks like folks are looking forward to a break!   Oh, by the way, Susan and I both swear we'd never again fly via Orlando that time of year.  Seems every runny-nosed kid going to Disney sneezed, coughed, weezed and drooled all over the plane.  We both got sick last time as a result and had to cancel post meet plans and go home early.  We're going to probably drive this time.

Terry

no dates posted in this thread. Not sure why no one posts dates at the beginning of a thread nor do people post states. Often many shows are held in towns that a duplicated through the country and those of us somewhat new to the shows have no idea where these shows actually are.  I'm heading down now but it looks like Feb. is the month. Is that correct?

14 minutes ago, chistech said:

no dates posted in this thread. Not sure why no one posts dates at the beginning of a thread nor do people post states. Often many shows are held in towns that a duplicated through the country and those of us somewhat new to the shows have no idea where these shows actually are.  I'm heading down now but it looks like Feb. is the month. Is that correct?

21-23 - AACA Winter Meet - Kingdom of the Sun Regions - Ocala, FL.  website: http://2019aacawintermeet.org   meet brochure

The above information is in the calendar on the AACA home page.

Thanks, that is how I learned about Feb being the month. By the time one navigates all the searches, it can be found but what I’m saying is a quick read of thread does nothing to help anyone know when it is. Actually, reading some of the posts one can get the impression that it’s very soon if not going on now. 

I didn’t post to pick on anyone, just to state what I see as a very common trend in the way events are mentioned and posted. I believe many assume people know where Auburn or Amelia island is for instance when many don’t. There is an Auburn MA for instance. I have been a member on these forums about three years now and it almost seems some go out of their way to post in such a manner, almost in code, that only others directly involved with the event or makes of cars can follow the thread. Sorry, but if we want to keep our hobby going it needs to be more inclusive of others not so we’ll versed in all aspects of the hobby. With this post for instance, my immediate reaction was great, I’m heading down for Christmas to see family and I’ll catch a meet. After a few minutes of research I realized I won’t be there. I suppose what I’m trying to say is I find some content posted in an anti-social,specifically inclusive way and it shouldn’t be. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve had to search around to find dates and the states of happenings posted. Yes, I know, it’s not that big of deal but is it that big of deal to list the dates and full locations? When done by the OP for instance, it’s very easy because they already know the dates and exact place and it only involves one person. For anyone reading the thread who doesn’t know, they all have to spend time and go research and involves a lot of people. Sorry but I always feel the more you can educate someone by simply providing more information, the better off everyone will be.

ok, off my soapbox.

I’ll be at the Ocala meet and for me it will be a first. I have attended AACA meets since 1971, and almost every Hershey since then also, but this is the first time I will have ever showen a car or have it judged in this organization. I’m looking forward to having a car on the field and meeting some more forum members in person. 👍

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On 12/9/2018 at 7:46 PM, Terry Bond said:

Thanks Tommy, were going to make our reservations too!  With all the nasty weather looks like folks are looking forward to a break!   Oh, by the way, Susan and I both swear we'd never again fly via Orlando that time of year.  Seems every runny-nosed kid going to Disney sneezed, coughed, weezed and drooled all over the plane.  We both got sick last time as a result and had to cancel post meet plans and go home early.  We're going to probably drive this time.

Terry

I have a house in Ocala, and if I have to fly I go from Tampa, no kids or drunken parents to deal with! I did not tolerate my own kids all that well, and have even less patience when they are not mine.   Tampa is about 15 miles further than Orlando, all highway....... I am driving down from NY a few days from  after the 1st.

Edited by John348 (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Hi Terry. It hasn’t been on a AACA field as far as I know. I don’t want to “spill the beans” but I think you will enjoy it. It has many unusual and unique features. It’s an unusual platform, and not often seen. I look forward to seeing you at the show. PM sent, Ed.

7 hours ago, John348 said:

I have a house in Ocala, and if I have to fly I go from Tampa, no kids or drunken parents to deal with! I did not tolerate my own kids all that well, and have even less patience when they are not mine.   Tampa is about 15 miles further than Orlando, all highway....... I am driving down from NY a few days from  after the 1st.

Looking forward to visiting with you at Ocala - and also the '56 caddy caps😎

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/4/2018 at 1:03 AM, John348 said:

Orlando and Tampa are about the same time as far as travel. Tampa is just an easier airport to get in and out of, no attraction traffic and planes full of kids screaming!  I have a part time home in Ocala, and travel there several times . There is an Airport in Gainesville about 35 miles away but not many direct flights to anywhere.

The problem with either location I had found is just make sure you are not landing in the late afternoon, there will be some traffic to deal with

Tell me more about the Gainesville airport.  Do you think it would be possible to get a flight to Philadelphia from Gainesville?  Or, is it just a very small airport. I've never been to the Tampa airport because I didn't know where it was, but like everybody else find Orlando to be awful.  But, the last time I took my wife to Tampa General Hospital I noticed an exit from the toll road I was on that said Tampa airport, so maybe I can find it.  I'm closer to Tampa than Gainesville.  We live in the vast wasteland area, in Sebring.

I have driven past it a few times and it is very small and only had one flight daily to direct to NYC, so I would doubt that the service to Philly is any better, also it was expensive! Tampa Airport is big and not crowded. Right off the highway just before the bridge toward Clearwater. I'm heading down Thursday, stop off and visit my son and his Family In Virginia for a day or so. 

Guest Mark McAlpine

Marion & I are looking forward to the Ocala National.  Like Tommy & Debbie Nolen, we're staying at the LaQuinta (and already have our reservations for Charlotte, Auburn, Parsippany, and Hershey).

Ed:  You definitely have my curiosity piqued.  I can't wait to see what vehicle you're bringing.

Safe travels everyone!  See some of you at the Annual Meeting in Philadelphia next month (7-9 Feb for Chistech) and the rest of you in Ocala.

On 1/4/2019 at 8:31 AM, John348 said:

Has anyone gotten their confirmation back yet? I mailed mine a month ago, and emailed the the person who is accepting registrations earlier this week and have not heard anything back? 

John348, 

I got my confirmation email today for the Ocala meet. I hope you received yours by now too.

Bob

On 1/4/2019 at 9:31 AM, John348 said:

Has anyone gotten their confirmation back yet? I mailed mine a month ago, and emailed the the person who is accepting registrations earlier this week and have not heard anything back? 

Got my email also :) 

Just registered for Judging at Ocala.

Don't yet know what I'll be showing - depends on several factors, but as a reminder -

Registration must be by February 1st

Looking forward to visiting with old friends,

and meeting new ones !!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎12‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 7:59 AM, Marty Roth said:

Looking forward to visiting with you at Ocala - and also the '56 caddy caps😎

Marty,  your caps are here in Ocala, made the trip safe and sound from NY a few weeks ago, the weather seems to have broken down here this week. See you in a few

I live in Ocala about 6 months of the year. I found a very good Italian restaurant about 1-2 miles west on RT 200 from the host hotel in the Publix shopping center. The restaurant is called Chef's of Napoli. I eat there a lot and never had a meal I did not enjoy!  I will post the exact address later today

Drove the 91 Buick Park Avenue up here from Sebring FL yesterday.  It has 3400 miles on it already from new now.  Be over 3600 by the time I get back home.  Scared I'm using it up.

It goes in it's first show tomorrow.  People can't believe it only has 3400 miles from new.

🙂

16 hours ago, John S. said:

Any photos? Thanks. John

I took a couple of photos of my car an others.  Will download the camera when I get home. Maybe some pics on Monday.  Our "new" 1991 Buick Park Avenue was well appreciated by everybody, including the judges.  She took a National 1st Junior.  Trophy weighs a ton(8.5 pounds I'm told).  I wish we could have also gotten our newly restored 1941 Buick Roadmaster there too but it wasn't in the cards.  Maybe next year in Miami.  Might drive the Park Avenue to Mobile in the Fall.  Can't go to Charlotte.

Didn't  have anything to show and wife and I went saturday as spectators. 

Great place for the meet! Parking was handled professionally, great job.

Very much enjoyed looking at the cars/trucks/motorcycles and talking with their owners.

Porta potties sucked. 

9 hours ago, kdancy said:

Porta potties sucked. 

They always do, why didn't you go into the nice air conditioned building and use the facilities? I never even saw a port-a-san at the site.

Good time and a good job done by all involved

John Mahoney

• Like 1

There were a whole row of 10 or so right next to the corvette area on the west side. 

At 10:00 am Saturday they were filled to the brim. 

Anyway, the meet was enjoyable. Only saw one Hudson, a 53 Hornet sedan. I have a 52 Wasp sedan on the rotisserie in my shop and am doing work on a 51 Pacemaker now. Just finished installing a wire harness in a 57 Studebaker Golden Hawk for a 92 year old friend. 

as always I enjoyed the Ocala event and their improvements over our show a couple of years ago.  It is too bad the car numbers were down in the historically well attended class 36B.

I did set a personal best at this event though.  I busted 3 tires going down the 850 miles and busted 2 on the Sunday night return trip.  Had a very appreciated helper, Tommy Nolen,  who stopped by Sunday night for two of the the I-95 tire changes.  My lithium battery operated torque gun got a work out!  One of the tires that popped Sunday night was a vicious one causing serious damage to my trailer.  Tore off most of the aluminum fender, ripped two of the aluminum siding pieces and slight bending of the wheel well.  Now to find an ATC trailer dealer!

Robert

Edited by Robert Street (see edit history)