BABlas48

1939Buick Sport Coupe Emergency brake cable

I need the correct length of front Emergency brake Cable. Either NOS or custom-made..  The "standard modern size" cable seems to be too long for the coupe.  I have tried using the available item (from "CARS" Inc.) but it is too long. Please email with information: creativeartperson@gmail.com

camera photos 010.JPG

Edited by BABlas48
contact information. (see edit history)

Welcome to the AACA Discussion Forum. Have you tried stopping by a local hardware store? My local old fashioned hardware store has the crimp on ends needed and the tool to install them. You should be able to take your long cable to a hardware store and have them crimp on a new end in the correct location and cut off the excess cable.

I can see if it is possible here. I don't have an old-fashioned hardware store here but if you know of a Brake Service that can do such work, perhaps I can take it there.

Another place that I would probably check with if you can't find a hardware store that can help you would be a garage door installer. They use similar cables.

Contact Rob, He can and will help you.  These guys are professionals of the highest order.

Brake & Equip Whse (Rob) 455 Harrison St NE, Mpls MN 55413-2408 (612) 378-3141  #2=shop

Thank you for this valuable information.  I will measure the length of the current cable that I ordered from "CARS", which proved to be wrong, just to solve this mystery of cable size.  Then I will call up and order the correct cable from the  B&EW. 

And, I make Brake Cables -- make it any overall length and conduit length you want, if different than what is listed by factory.....

You can call me --- Craig, Mobile parts , west Hempstead, New York -- 516 - 485 - 1935.........

Thank you. I wish I could take the car right to you, but I cannot.  I will instead measure the length of the "wrong size" cable and see how much shorter it should be.  I believe the difference will be about 6 inches but I'll check it out to be sure.  I will also enclose photos of the ends of the cable.  I appreciate your help on this.

Edited by BABlas48 (see edit history)

On 12/5/2018 at 6:04 AM, BABlas48 said:

My car is the model 46S.  It seems to have a shorter wheelbase than a sedan.

Nope.  Exactly the same at 120 inches

Series 60 are longer at 126 inches

Then why the discrepancy for the emergency brake cable? The one I received as a replacement was too long.  The only thing I can think of may be that my car is an early car ("one of the first 10,000 Buicks made" is the saying on my original key bob).  As such, it has the "short chassis" where  it ends at the top of the rear wheels.  This means that from this point to the rear bumper is nothing but sheet metal and two brackets supporting the bumper!  Could this be the reason for the shorter cable? 

The short chassis wouldn't affect the brake cable as the axles are still in the same spot.  The only thing attached to the extended part of the frame are the bumper and 2 bolts for the very rear of the body.

Edited by 39BuickEight (see edit history)