Headlight woes...

Chrisssssssss

Hey all,

My headlights seem to be loose. The one on the passenger side you have to manually help get it to come up and lock into place. The one on the drivers side functions ok, but they both bounce around while they are open and on. What I mean by this is that as I am driving down the road, on the highway, or whatever, they re-aim up and down substantially as they hit small dips and bumps on the road. They stay aimed either too high towards the sky/ too low towards the road and then as soon as you hit the next slight bump/dip in the road they re-aim as they please. It's like they are loose. Is there a specific bolt or screw that I should look at? I will maybe post a video if necessary, but I if someone can help point me in the correct direction to start with that would be great. Thanks

There is a part that has been named the UPSTOP that takes the slop out of the system, but only when the parts are in good condition.

All mechanisms have tolerances, in our headlight case there is the bellcrank to the motor shaft, bellcrank to the link,  link to the housing,  housing pivot bolts and all those add up to slop even when the parts are good.

The UPSTOP allows you to control the slop.   There is nothing in the parts book or the service manual about the UPSTOP so I am attaching a picture.   Often the plastic nut that  the UPSTOP screws into is broken.

Bad bellcranks add to the problem as well as rollers in the gear that have been ground into powder.

As a side note, I recently rebuilt a headlight motor that had faucet washers (rubber) in place of the plastic rollers.

upstop3.JPG

BELLCRANKS.jpg

gear-roller.jpg