1903 Packard F/S a Month Ago

jeff_a

I know the Packard Forum has more discussion of the last 25 years of Packard's contribution to American automobiles, but I saw an ad for a small-time auction with a 1903 Packard that occurred about Nov 3rd. There was an estate auction in Beulah, CO with a red 1903 Packard Model "F" runabout, one of 3 cars owned by someone in LaVeta, CO. It was a one-cylinder car and would be a great addition to any collection regardless condition. I just wondered if anyone else heard of the car or the auction. Certainly among the oldest dozen or so Packards out there!

CORRECTION: Sellers claimed it was a Packard. It's not.

1903-Packard-Model%20F-Antiques--Car-101045267-db1b7c6eea187cfec274109f6f956b17.jpg?w=1110&h=624&r=thumbnail&s=1

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)

Not a real Packard.  This car is a replica. The Packard Script in front is not even close to correct. The wheels look like Model T wheels. The hub caps are not correct. I have done some research on this car and believe It has a Briggs and Stratton engine. Probably fun to drive, but that's about all.

Thanks. I didn't catch that it was an attempt at a replica. I did not know the craze of making Curved Dash Olds replicas in the 50s & 60s extended to Packards, too. Someone must have wanted to copy the Packard that crossed the country in 1903, "Old Pacific"...but forgot to use RHD. This one looks like shaft drive, when it should be chain. I did think the spray-painted lights were cheesy, but didn't catch the rototiller fuel tank on the dash(original was soldered copper & out of view). Maybe this one started out as a golf cart. 

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)