Sign in to follow this  
Scott Mckenzie

`64 Riviera amp light

I`m picking at a list of things , one is the amp light stays on when running. The alternator has been rebuilt, I`ve tried unplugging and plugging the voltage regulator many times in case corrosion has built up on the contacts.  Lost in the woods again. 

Mine had bad corrosion on the terminals that met the voltage regulator. I'd take a look at those, they might need a good cleaning.

• Like 1

so turn the key to on, light is on, start the car, light is still on?  OR turn the key to on light is off, start the car light is on?

20 hours ago, dr914 said:

so turn the key to on, light is on, start the car, light is still on?  OR turn the key to on light is off, start the car light is on?

The light stays on while engine is running

The obvious thing to try is a new voltage regulator. My car was doing this and it was green corrosion on the voltage

regulator connector pins. Try spraying WD40 on the terminals on the regulator and the wiring plug and plug and unplug a few times and see what happens......it

fixed my car.

Edited by Seafoam65 (see edit history)

...And just because the alternator is rebuilt doesn’t mean it’s good. A bad diode in the alternator will give the same symptom. 

Edited by Paul K. (see edit history)
  • Like 1

if the light is on when you turn the key to the on position and then stays on when the car is started, and the regulator has been substituted, it is a bad rebuilt alternator