Wood in Sabra sports car

padgett

This is one of those things when I do not trust my memory and need to ask.

In the early sixties there was a two seater made in Israel called the Sabra. It was not very successful and until recently had never seen one but remember a magazine article (Road and Track ?) back then on it. One of the things I remembered was that part of the chassis/frame was made of wood (Ash). Just tried the usual sources and found no mention. Did find that the chassis was made by Reliant who was using wood in the early sixties.

Can anyone confirm or deny or could a prototype seen by magazines have used wood in the chassis or body (other than the steering wheel) ? It is one of those things that is really bothering me.

Here's a start.  Much more information via searches.  https://petrolicious.com/articles/the-sabra-gt-is-the-sports-car-from-israel-you-ve-been-waiting-for

Here's more:  https://www.google.com/search?q=Road+%26+Track+article+on+Sabra+auto&rlz=1C1FGGD_enUS497&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwir3tLlnYTfAhUpmuAKHUGDBHEQsAR6BAgAEAE&biw=1440&bih=785     Quite honestly, the subject does not interest me enough to wade through all the Rad & Track stuff. but you should be able to find what you want with a little effort.

Edited by ejboyd5 (see edit history)

Saw those. What I found was that the Sabra used a chassis from Reliant ( "the first one-hundred cars were actually assembled by Reliant in England.") and in that period Reliant still used Ash wood in production cars. I did not find anything to confirm/demy my memory of a magazine article when it was being introduced that said there was wood in the Sabra chassis. May have been for a pre-production press car but was something that just stuck in my mind and want to confirm or refute it.

Just thought someone here might have had one apart or remember the article.

There was also a tiny pickup Sabra that looked a lot like the Reliant three wheeler. I am not sure if the Sabra version was three wheeled or not, but if Reliant was using a wooden frame on theirs, I would think that the Sabra version would also have a wooden frame.

I also have a recollection that the sports car version of the Sabra was based on a car that Daimler tried to sell in the fifties.