rivnik

RIVNIK

Greetings!     For decades Ive depended on Interstate Batteries for my Rivs & other cars. Here in Orlando they've operated out of a small warehouse in the local industrial park. One of several old school guys always knew exactly what you needed. Recently the battery in my '65 went dead, & when I went to replace it, I found Interstate Batteries had moved to a chi-chi strip mall across town. They have a fancy showroom between FiveGuys Burgers & a dry cleaners. They now have a pimple-faced teenager running the store & sell other batteries of all types. This person had little or no knowledge of car batteries. They had changed their catalog & nomenclature, had no listing of older cars, & no longer carried any batteries of the same dimensions as the '65 Riv. Not to mention all their new products are bright neon green! This really sucks!  If anyone has advice on what batteries they recommend it would be greatly appreciated. I do not want to spend big bucks on  

a classic car battery, just a normal black one that does not draw attention.   Thanks,   Rivnik

Oh I remember YOU, alright. Who could forget a face like that, not to mention the flattop!  Hopefully your knowledge of batteries has improved along with your complexion.

C'mon, Bern, after all you've (apparently) been through surely you have some useful advice on the subject.

https://www.interstatebatteries.com/product-search-results

Here are the locations of a couple of distributors in the Orlando area. 

https://www.interstatebatteries.com/location-finder?dealerservices=&dealertypes=1&producttypes=&search=32801'

Here's a link to the dealers in the Orlando area.

https://www.interstatebatteries.com/location-finder?dealerservices=&dealertypes=&producttypes=&search=32801

Amazing what a simple Google search will turn up. 😎

I have been buying Interstate blems for over 20 years now. They are plain black, no label, and still available. The Group 27's don't come in often but they do come in. I have also never seen anything I would call a blemish.

Last summer they had a bunch of black ones. They also had a real neat electronic tester that was about $1,000. I guess I will be sticking with my old resistance one.

Your writing was very descriptive and entertaining first thing this morning, made me laugh. Memories, when I was a pimple faced 14 year old I would sell a mismatched pair of used tires and tell the customer the smaller diameter one had to go toward the crown of the road. A dollar an hour plus 10% of the sale. Always had the customer's best interest in mind.

003.thumb.JPG.0bb462271bd2ad6b09e05de573c668c0.JPG

• 2 months later...
On 12/1/2018 at 9:34 AM, RIVNIK said:

Greetings!     For decades Ive depended on Interstate Batteries for my Rivs & other cars. Here in Orlando they've operated out of a small warehouse in the local industrial park. One of several old school guys always knew exactly what you needed. Recently the battery in my '65 went dead, & when I went to replace it, I found Interstate Batteries had moved to a chi-chi strip mall across town. They have a fancy showroom between FiveGuys Burgers & a dry cleaners. They now have a pimple-faced teenager running the store & sell other batteries of all types. This person had little or no knowledge of car batteries. They had changed their catalog & nomenclature, had no listing of older cars, & no longer carried any batteries of the same dimensions as the '65 Riv. Not to mention all their new products are bright neon green! This really sucks!  If anyone has advice on what batteries they recommend it would be greatly appreciated. I do not want to spend big bucks on  

a classic car battery, just a normal black one that does not draw attention.   Thanks,   Rivnik

Rivnik, I bought a NAPA battery. I put a Delco battery topper on the battery. I turned the battery so the NAPA logo is hidden. Looks good and cranks the engine just fine. There is no prestige in needlessly over spending on items you can easily mask and still maintain good looks.( when I was working I bought really good shirts and ties and reasonably priced suits at Jos Bank.) 

Turbinator

I used to sell Interstate Batteries (sold them for 35 years), but had to drop them because they were all going

bad on me in 12 months....way too many warranty batteries were coming in to my shop. What I use now is Super Start batteries

from O'reilly's Auto Parts. These batteries are fantastic and on average last about 6 years. I just changed the Super Start in my wife's car

and it lasted 8 years. What I did on my Riviera is use a 24F battery so I could use a Tar Topper battery topper. Nobody makes a Tar Topper

for a 27 series battery.

1 hour ago, Seafoam65 said:

I used to sell Interstate Batteries (sold them for 35 years), but had to drop them because they were all going

bad on me in 12 months....way too many warranty batteries were coming in to my shop. What I use now is Super Start batteries

from O'reilly's Auto Parts. These batteries are fantastic and on average last about 6 years. I just changed the Super Start in my wife's car

and it lasted 8 years. What I did on my Riviera is use a 24F battery so I could use a Tar Topper battery topper. Nobody makes a Tar Topper

for a 27 series battery.

Funny you mention that; our Nissan batteries are made by Interstate, and it sure seems I have had a lot of them lately coming back bad in less than 18 months, which calls for a swap out.

2 hours ago, Seafoam65 said:

for a 27 series battery.

I got 10 years out of the original Delco batteries (2 batteries in a diesel) on my 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 Duramax.  I replaced them with Interstates and they lasted 4 years.  Guess what, there once again are Delco's in the truck.

I started buying the Interstate blems from the distribution center at least 20 years ago, probably closer to 30. They were $20 exchange at the time. I think they are $35 now. I like the people and the service when I go, but that is not often. My Son is going there now, as well.

I really don't know how old my Interstate batteries are. Maybe the newest is 2 years old. I call every few months to see if they have any 27's. Next time they do I will get two.

My '05 Silverado got 12 years on the original Delco and I did replace that with the exact same battery. It got to the point of knowing I should replace it, but had to keep pushing.

Interstae has served me well for a long time and making the blems available saved me quite a bit. I think I will continue on with them "until they prove themselves unworthy". There is a saying like that up on the reservation. I have been repeating that since I was in my 20's and thought it was an apt statement. I will stick with that too.

Bernie

On 12/1/2018 at 8:30 PM, telriv said:

The proper replacement is a size 27. If you don't want to cross the cables to keep them from making possible contact with the fender use a 27F which will put the + cable next to the radiator.

Yes, I have my positive cable next to the radiator. I have heavy duty black battery cables I seem to get good service. Probably my imagination. I think the cables are a gauge one. Keeping the cable ends and battery terminals clean and tight will like you as well. Basics like these I have to keep after. 

Turbinator