Spam 🥧?

Elpad

When I first came here about couple of years ago, I remember a thread about Spam Pie. I could never grasp what was all about and the connection with Buicks other than, I suspect, Mr. Earl was deeply involved. I was searching for it to try to find the meaning of it but I can’t find it. I don’t have much time on my hands and the free time I will dedicate to the Buick project but I confess, this forum helps me fall 💤 asleep in a soothing way. Gosh I’m becoming addicted to Buicks!

Anyways, if someone or the administrator finds what was the commotion about, I would really like to know. A thought came to my mind that if Lamar keeps selling his Buicks, he can always turn his newly garage an service center to this!

39A8D0D1-32CD-4213-86CD-541EC10383E0.jpeg

• Haha 2

In the original Charles Phoenix website, there was a picture of a medium-sized group of party goers getting ready to dive into a buffet of sliced Spam "pie" on a serving dish.  There was a long thread on the "Spam Pie" subject.  Lots of other neat pictures (with cars) from 1960s Los Angeles in that old website, too.  Seems like SPAM was an ultimate convenience food, in an era before "cold cuts" had proliferated?

A while back, I got some Underwoods "potted meat" at the store.  Not even enough in there to feed a finicky cat!  But I remember it had a lot of buzz about it in the '60s?  Now, wondered what the real buzz was about.

LOTS of flavors of SPAM, now . . .

NTX5467

Edited by NTX5467 (see edit history)

10 hours ago, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

... I like to mix relish and chopped onions with a little mustard into the Underwoods.

Ben

Adding "stuff" does help...I do that too.  I can tolerate the beef Underwood but not the chicken or ham.

We had "Deviled Ham" probably because my parents were from MA.

William Underwood Company

American Food Company
William Underwood Company
The William Underwood Company, founded in 1822, was an American food company best known for its flagship product, Underwood Deviled Ham, a canned meat spread. The company also had a key role in time-temperature research done at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology from 1895 to 1896, which would lead to the development of food science and food technology as a profession.

• Like 2

Glad we got this going again.  If we were able to have a true "forum breakfast" in Allentown,  I was prepared to treat everyone present to a piece of true PA scrapple, also know as spam, without a can.  Maybe next time, if in the NE.

John

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Many of my relatives worked at the main Hormel plant in Austin, Minnesota, where the Spam Museum is located.  Several years ago, I was lucky enough to have my aunt take me on a special tour of the museum. Her last job at the plant in the 1980s was making Spam. It is an interesting part of Americana! 

• Like 1