vette-kid

P2 Deluxe details

Hello everyone, its been a while since I have posted here.  Im trying to refocus some attention back on the 36 and we have run into a few questions.  The pedals and dust boots all need replacing as they are worn and torn and generally non functional.  What im having a hard time determining is what the color should actually be on these items.  All of the rubber in it now is brown, with the exception of the starter pedal (replaced by me a while ago).  From what I can tell in google pictures of restored cars (hard to see most as most don't exactly take pictures of the floor board) they seem to be brown as well.  However, we are having a VERY hard time finding everything in brown.  I cannot find the accelerator pedal and the shift boot.  Several are only available in brown from Steele rubber, who charges a SIGNIFICANT premium (seriously, $144 for the shifter boot!!!???) and the entire package with brown parts only available there will cost well over $400 for just the pedals and boots, plus the steering shaft grommet.

Can someone confirm that brown is the correct color?  And does anyone have any good sources for these parts?  We are trying to stay as correct as we can.

I have a 36 P2       I have black matt and peddle rubber but I understand that it should be Brown as you say     but not that important to me

6 minutes ago, broker-len said:

I have a 36 P2       I have black matt and peddle rubber but I understand that it should be Brown as you say     but not that important to me

Thanks for the reply.  I probably wouldn't bother changing them if they were functional, but since they need replacing anyway I'd like to find the right color

Steele has the best quality if all the rubber suppliers I have tried.

I bought a simple fender grommet tht surrounds the fuel fill from another supplier and in two years it was dried out and cracked.

Bought the same from Steele and it still looks great after 25 years.

So, if you plan on keeping the car don't be afraid to buy the best.

• Like 1

I think Andy Bernbaum carries them in both colors.

13 hours ago, GregLaR said:

I think they changed hands within the last few years. Maybe their stuff is better now.

2 hours ago, JACK M said:

I think they changed hands within the last few years. Maybe their stuff is better now.

Yes. And if my experiences with them on the 'phone are anything to go by, I doubt there has been improvement.

20 hours ago, GregLaR said:

They have some, but not all of what I need.  They do not have the brake or clutch.  In fact the only thing they lost in both colors is the starter pedal.

I wouldn't worry about the color of the pedal seals as they are behind the toeboard and really can't be seen.

On 12/3/2018 at 11:49 AM, Spinneyhill said:

Yes. And if my experiences with them on the 'phone are anything to go by, I doubt there has been improvement.

I kind of get what you're saying. I deal with them a fair amount, I've spent several $K, and even after all this time the guy I usually get on the phone (who will remain nameless here) generally acts like a DMV employee who's doing me a huge favor by even talking with me and taking my money. I'm always polite, friendly and call him by name. All to know avail. He's just not a very friendly guy. Knowledgable, yes. Friendly? No.