Auburnseeker

Xander Wildeisen

Going into winter, the two snow shovels have to much value. And one of my chickens passed away last night. I am out of the hunt for your Cord. I did find this in the barter section out here. Seller says he is willing to deal on this airport tug. It is not a Cord, but it does have a warning light.   https://boise.craigslist.org/bar/d/clark-airport-tug/6765920170.html

I can replace the two snow shovels with 3 unused Grateful Dead 4th level of the stadium seats behind the post 1980 concert. If that’s not enough I’m out. Oh the dozen eggs are now only 8 eggs I was hungry this morning. 

• Haha 1

That airport tug would be tempting but at the price of a used Side by side , I think he's going to own it for a while.  

Now that you are both out of the race,  I guess I'll have to go back to the offer of the Dell laptop with windows 98 and  two older horses I had offered.  He said I had to act fast though as some company called Elmer's was coming for the horses in the morning.  

I did get an engine shot,  though it's a bit dark. Someone wanted it to be a bit showy back in the day.  They put sheets of chrome over the firewall and chromed all sorts of stuff,  the fan, Generator Oil filter housing.  The engine I believe has some stuck valves I oiled the crap out of it a few years ago.  I should try to turn it over and see if anything freed up.  I could get a little turn on it but not a full rotation.  Unfortunately with the valves so High in the block there is no practical way without pulling the intake or heads there is no way to get oil to the valves. 

IMG_2205.JPG

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, 60FlatTop said:

Interesting location on the Craigslist ad. Somehow I figured you to be a lot farther out in the sticks.

My wife didn't want to live in the sticks.  That location isn't exactly accurate but not far off either.  I could have had alot more acreage and if she didn't have to live in town.  For where we do though.,  7+ acres isn't bad. 

16 minutes ago, John_Mereness said:

And, if it has Edmunds aluminum heads I seriously doubt it is going to unstick itself - been there and had to take the long way to fix that.

Thus the reason it's sitting there in the corner not running.  How much do I devote to get it running as is, as opposed to how much of that money could be put toward sourcing the parts to make it correctly powered.  

Lets not forget I'm waist deep in a huge shop building project that consumes all my free time and money. 

14 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

Thus the reason it's sitting there in the corner not running.  How much do I devote to get it running as is, as opposed to how much of that money could be put toward sourcing the parts to make it correctly powered.  

Lets not forget I'm waist deep in a huge shop building project that consumes all my free time and money. 

Fortunately, Cadillac Flathead engine and engine parts are not too hard to source, all be it getting one reliable (via easy starting, no overheating - they have their flaws in this regard, quiet, and ...) is a whole other story.     And, the flip side of the coin is that a Supercharged Cord engine (and all needed parts) or an non-S/C engine with a S/C exhaust manifold  is pretty much egregiously expensive (in unrestored or restored form) no matter how resourceful anyone is. 

There actually was a perfect parts car on here last year,  complete with pipes for 10G.  It was partially apart/ restored in the dead of the winter 1/2 way across the country, being buried in my garage project I wasn't able to persue it.  Another one came up for sale and sold for 7500 on ebay with an original drivetrain in CA that wasn't roached out.  Though I had no idea what shape the drivetrain was in.  You can find a drivetrain for around 10G with some patience in a project/ parts car.  The way to go instead of buying a block / case and going from there.   That way I will guarantee you will bury yourself.  One thing you will find is that every guy with a cord has a ton of spare parts and few mechanical parts ever seem to have been scrapped. 

2 minutes ago, auburnseeker said:

There actually was a perfect parts car on here last year,  complete with pipes for 10G.  It was partially apart/ restored in the dead of the winter 1/2 way across the country, being buried in my garage project I wasn't able to persue it.  Another one came up for sale and sold for 7500 on ebay with an original drivetrain in CA that wasn't roached out.  Though I had no idea what shape the drivetrain was in.  You can find a drivetrain for around 10G with some patience in a project/ parts car.  The way to go instead of buying a block / case and going from there.   That way I will guarantee you will bury yourself.  One thing you will find is that every guy with a cord has a ton of spare parts and few mechanical parts ever seem to have been scrapped. 

My parents drive an 851 Auburn Phaeton, I have  two 852 Phaetons, plus there have been such as the prior 851 Sedan, the 31 Phaeton, two 8-90 Cabriolets, and way back a 35 851 S/C Phaeton - I have pretty much been at this my whole life too.   Realistically, while the fluke does come along, as to a Cord S/C drivetrain you are probably should budget 40K for a base product prior to restoration (I am aware of some very resourceful people who will talk of their 20K investments in their superchargers too).  And unfortunately, I would agree a complete sedan probably has to bite the dust to get the job done.

This being a 36 wouldn't have been supercharged,  someone added the pipes before it was painted black from it's original Cigarette cream.  Probably when it was converted,  so you don't need the expensive supercharger set up,  so only the manifolds are needed to make the pipes functional.   It was a shame because that car last winter was the perfect match. 

Personally I would stick with your Cord, and probably keep the drive train as is. Or at least once the shop is finished get the Cord back into driving condition and re-evaluate your desires. The right  Auburn is something you can always keep looking for and add to your collection at some point down the road.  I always find it easier to part with a previously interesting car if I already have purchased its replacement in my "grand plan".

Greg in Canada 

• Like 1

The problem with hanging onto this and getting the next is we are talking 60K cars or more. up to 100K for what I'm looking for.  I can say I make more of a beer paycheck  than a champagne one.  From this I still have a 30K floor to buy, 10K minimum in Electric, Probably another 25K in insulation before I even get to another 10K for a heating system.   Then I still have to come up with an interior wall finish.   There will be no spare money for an Auburn in the conceivable future.  Figure in the inflation curve and the price will continue to go up as well. 

I wish it were as easy.  The only other possiblity for advancement on the old car curve would be to sell my all original 50's 32 roadster hot rod, built in the 50's and still wearing that original finish in very good shape.  My guess is that would probably stall in the 40K range at best riding the current curve in value of original vintage hot rods.  I have weighed this option a tad but haven't gotten around to persuing it as I have too much on the plate and the car is in a heated garage 60 miles from here. 

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On 12/8/2018 at 10:51 AM, auburnseeker said:

Cord parts cars became such for good reasons, like major mechanical failures of the transmission being perhaps the most likely, then engine, then damage and rust to the body.  Transmissions were of a weak original design, and the engines have paper thin heads and side walls, and are also prone to sometimes fatal internal rusting.  Parts cars often have had the goodies already stripped off, sometimes to put another parts car back together.  Accordingly, you might just end up with a hopelessly rusted hulk (that could look ok in pictures) with an engine and transmission in a pitiful state to boot.  On the other hand, you might come out better by procuring an engine and trans alone for around the same money.  Condition would be the major focal point in the transaction, and you wouldn't be saddled with all the leftover iron and tin.  But you could bury yourself either way! 
Cord owners historically have accumulated spares, but that was mostly back in the day a generation or so ago when they were available, even in junkyards, and were inexpensive.  Lots of salted away critical parts, especially tranny's, have long been used up.  I copped a parts car back in the dark ages, 1952, for the princely sum of $45, and since it was running when wrecked, the drive line was in good condition.  Slim to non existent chance to duplicate that today.  
I wish you good fortune in resolving your Cord dilemma.      

14 hours ago, Laughing Coyote said:

That is Doug's Hudson. I have known him for about 29 years. We were about the only two people interested in Hudson's around this area. I bought the coupe and convertible from him to make my courtesy car. The coupe was sitting in one of his buildings nick named "death Row" it is where nice original cars were park. And sentenced to death, to die a slow death by the hands of time, and the mice. Open on one end, about 6-7 cars can be parked under this shelter of death. It took both cars to repair the convertible. The 47 Hudson convertible, and the 54 convertible came out of the Portland area. One day Doug had to have them, so while going to the Portland swap meet, he bought three cars, and we hauled them back. I was hauling the convertible, following Doug, who was hauling a 47 Commodore coupe parts cars.(not pictured) That coupe was a real Portland special. Mother nature had a bone to pick with that car. The rust was so bad in the coupe, while driving behind Doug on the freeway. You could see that the frame/suspension was strapped to the trailer. And with every bump/dip in the road, the body would bounce /flex and lean in the corners. I really thought he would get back to Idaho, with just a strapped down frame. Doug has sold his old prison labor farm house, and is letting a few cars go. He bought a house in the same subdivision where I used to live. That hopefully you will see on the news. What a story out here. I was asked to speak to the new HOA out there in Star, fill them in on what information has been lost over time. Or shall we say? I seem to be the unlucky one who remembers what happened.  Won't they be surprised to find out that they have really been lied to. If only someone would have said something, wait, I did. I will tell you what that got me later. Sh#t is going to hit the fan. It is going to pit a bunch of people against each other. Maybe when this story is told, people can put to rest this little game of wrapping people up into events through entrapment. Very sad, the damage that has been done to peoples lives and businesses. Maybe others have tried to say something, and have run into the same problems, in trying to let the people in charge, know what is going on.  The targeting of people and businesses in Idaho is very real, and needs to be talked about.  Doug is a good guy, I am sure he will read this post, and I know others will be reading it as well. The word interesting is used a lot out here, it will be interesting to see what people say. Sorry to get off track with this post, your question was about the 54 convertible. It is a nice solid project, if a person was looking for a 54 Hornet convertible. PS, PB, PW and PT. Twin-H 308 engine. A person might be able to get it running and drive it the way you see it. No rust in the rear frame area. Rust in Hudson step downs, is not fun to fix. About the Cord Auburnseeker just posted a picture of. I think that car could be fixed pretty easy. I would not be afraid to get a car like that, would want to really look it over before buying it. I will get a Cord one day, one of the best looking cars built in the 30's

IMG_20111113_161025.jpg

IMG_20120423_195245.jpg

Hudson convertible 054.JPG

I would still go the parts car route.  lots of bits crazy Cord guys have been fed a line are worth near unobtanium when there is still a good stock of them are had on a parts car and by parts car,  I mean decent partially restored stalled restoration or the like,  not some carcass that hasn't turned a wheel left to the elements for 50 years.   The one on this forum last year would have been a very good choice/ candidate.  When the known engines have a price tag of 20G They are just waiting for some restoration shop to come along with someone's blank check and write in the appropriate zeros.  Not my kind of purchase.  I don't have the funds so I have to buy somewhat on the cheap,  but in cheap I mean value for the dollar not just cheapest price. I have already bought many parts for less than the cost to restore them.  Replated bumper guards cheaper than the cost of plating, etc.  Lots of other stuff the same way.  I wait for something priced right then buy it.  The parts car would be the same. 

On 12/2/2018 at 2:51 PM, 1937hd45 said:

I want to see how they get the Christmas tree in this one. Note the door handle position, looked at some restored ones and it must be correct. Bob 

Auburn-8-90-Speedster-5-1080x585.jpg

Look at the chains ! When one of the cross links comes loose, as almost always happened, you would beat the crap out of your fenders.  

Ron