Otahuhu

Starter Drive

What is the part number for a replacement bendix drive on a 1929 Model M Stutz starter motor?

I had this company help me last time I needed a Bendix drive issue (they can often provide new and equally can rebuild) on a Franklin, then an Auburn, and ....  I found them by a little silver Weldon (their brand name) tag on a reproduction part I bought for another car and thought let's explore.    http://www.starterdrives.com/

I come up with starter Delco-Remy #726-C and it used 16789 Bendix. I bought over 1000 NOS and NORS Bendix gears last year and that is not one of them. But I would recommend Van Bergen and Greener to rebuild your if it is rebuildable. My family has used them for over 70 years.

Jeff

On 12/15/2018 at 4:41 PM, certjeff1 said:

I come up with starter Delco-Remy #726-C and it used 16789 Bendix. I bought over 1000 NOS and NORS Bendix gears last year and that is not one of them. But I would recommend Van Bergen and Greener to rebuild your if it is rebuildable. My family has used them for over 70 years.

Jeff

Hi Jeff,  

Unfortunately the starter drive of my car broke today. It is a 1929 Marmon model 78.
The starter is a Delco-Remy, model 726A. I cannot identify any part number on the drive, please see broken part picture. Do you have a replacement for it?
Thanks 

FEE294B2-8116-4373-8A56-CBFF6D35CE3E.jpeg

That is Delco-Remy #16810. I do not have any of that part number. What I do have is a 16798 which is the same design with a different gear. It might be possible to take 2 to make 1 good gear assembly. But I cant guarantee it. Looking at yours I don't think it is rebuildable.

Jeff