chistech

32’ Oldsmobile Convertible roadster roster

I’m looking to compile a roster of 32’ Olds roadsters, both 6 & 8 cylinders. Below is listed cars that I know and some of the owners. There are some cars listed that I don’t know the owner and I’m also looking for any cars out there that others know of that aren’t on my list. Any help would be appreciated. Currently I have found 2, 8cyl deluxe roadsters, one wire, one wood, 4, 6 cyl, wire deluxes, 3, wood wheel deluxes, and one rodded car. This gives me a grand total of 9 roadsters known at this time. Breakdown is below.

a

NAOC members and their roadsters 

F-32 (6 cyl) 

CR (convertible roadster, 5 wheel car)  Robert Dare, unrestored, not on road,wood wheel (possibly a 6 wheeled car), Jim Conoran, restored on road, (hot rod)

DCR (deluxe convertible roadster, 6 wheel car) Ted Brito, in restoration, not on road, wood wheel,  Brian Osborne, unrestored, off road, wire wheel,  Doug Width, restored, on road,  wire wheel

L-32 (8 cyl)

DCR (6 wheel deluxe),  John Evans, original car, on road, wire wheel

Known cars with unknown owners: looking for any info

F-32 DCR,

1. Maroon with black fenders, wire wheels, restored, recently sold through a auction site (can be found on the internet, sold by Diane’s auction)

2. Color,s unknown, wire wheels, restored in the 70’s by Don Spieldenner of Fremont OH. Sold to Asher Brunes of Indianapolis. Whereabouts unknown 

3. Silver with candy red fenders, wood wheels, originally from NY, restored by Edward Shingary of Parma, OH (pictures on the internet) Whereabouts unknown 

4. Yellow w/red wood wheels, owned by Daniel Brook of Westfield NJ back in early 60’s, sold to Curtis Motors, Potsdam NY around 1966 (looking for any info on Daniel Brook and the car in those early years, this is my car today)

L-32 

DCR 1. Tan w/brown fenders, wood wheels, pictures can be found on the internet, whereabouts unknown 

Yes, don’t know where that car is as of now. But, when looking at the pictures in the Owls Head add, I believed the car offered by Diane’s auction was the same but it might not be. The car in Diane’s auction shows chrome running board moldings and Owls Head does not. They both are missing the front bumper medallion, both have a tan top with burgundy piping (also on the top boot), both have the same tires, and both list 67,500 miles. Owls Head is in ME, said the car was from the Catskills, and the Diane’s auction car is registered in AL. So, are they the same car or two different, indentically painted cars?

A little more digging shows the Owls Head car was at Carrol St. Classics in New Hampshire and sold through the Owls Head auction in 2015 for $39,600. Did it end up in Alabama for resale just a year or two later?

Edited by chistech (see edit history)

I had no idea these cars were so rare. What was the total number manufactured? Are the bodies the same as Chevrolet or a bit larger? Bob 

They are pretty rare if I can use that term without somebody jumping on me about it. There was a total of 333 wire wheel F-32 deluxe cars made and 249 Wood wheel F-32 deluxe cars made. (My own DCR is just one of 249 made and just one of 3 wood wheeled currently known.) The production numbers for the 5 wheeled versions are much lower and as far as I can find, none of the five wheeled cars survived, 6 or 8 cylinders.(not sure if Jim Conoran’s hot rod was a 5 wheeled car) So far I can only find two 8 cylinder deluxes with one wood, one wire.  Statistically the claimed average of 1-1 1/2% of wood framed bodied cars made still exist seems to be holding up by the numbers I’m finding in these roadsters.

I like the registry idea, though some may be concerned for their privacy.  I celebrate every time I meet an owner of a "low-production, low-survivor rate" car like mine.  Oh, to hell with it, rare is a fine and very appropriate word.

• Like 2

I wonder if I've seen the one that is a Hot Rod. Is it maroon with flack fenders, built back in the 1960's over in New York state? Bob 

17 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

I had no idea these cars were so rare. What was the total number manufactured? Are the bodies the same as Chevrolet or a bit larger? Bob 

Sorry Bob, I forgot to add that the bodies are all very similar across the 32’ GM line with Chevy, Pontiac, Olds, and 50 series Buick. The convertible roofs are exactly the same and share the same part numbers. Folding windshield frames are the same except for the center medallion. Rumble seat cushion and seat back all seem to be the same too. The front seat and frames are the same at least on the Chevy, Pontiac, and Olds. While some body parts are close, like doors you can use from the belt line molded area down, others that you think would fit, like the cowl band, will not. The cowl on the Olds is taller than the Chevy and the Chevy band comes up short. Chassis parts are all different of course. The interior body wood varies quite a bit also which you wouldn’t think would with all bodies so similar and all made by Fischer. Of course only Olds, Pontiac 8 cylinder models, and Buick had golf bag doors. Chevy and Pontiac 6’s did not. 

2 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

I wonder if I've seen the one that is a Hot Rod. Is it maroon with flack fenders, built back in the 1960's over in New York state? Bob 

I believe Jim’s car is maroon and black. I know he lives in PA.

21 hours ago, chistech said:

I believe Jim’s car is maroon and black. I know he lives in PA.

Must be the same car, I never knew they were this rare. Bob 

Chistech, 

There was one of these cars on display at the RE Olds Club's Oldsmobile Homecoming this past June.  It was a lighter green in color and meticulously restored.  This same car has been on display at the RE Olds Museum in Lansing, MI.  I contacted an acquaintance of the owner/restorer and have name of the car's owner.  I don't feel free to share the owner's contact info as I haven't gotten his personal permission.  Moreover, I don't see a way to do private messaging on this site.  I will email the owner and alert him to your restoration thread as well as your posting of the registry in the general discussion section.  Do know that this person volunteers at the RE Olds Museum.  You might be able to contact the museum and establish contact with this person through the staff there.

Keith

51 minutes ago, KVP said:

Chistech, 

Moreover, I don't see a way to do private messaging on this site.  

Click on his user name on any of his posts. That will take you to his profile, where you will see a button labeled "message". Click on that and it will bring up a Private Message form with his user name filled in. When he replies to your message, you will see the message icon near the top right corner of the page. It is the envelope icon.

6 hours ago, KVP said:

Chistech, 

There was one of these cars on display at the RE Olds Club's Oldsmobile Homecoming this past June.  It was a lighter green in color and meticulously restored.  This same car has been on display at the RE Olds Museum in Lansing, MI.  I contacted an acquaintance of the owner/restorer and have name of the car's owner.  I don't feel free to share the owner's contact info as I haven't gotten his personal permission.  Moreover, I don't see a way to do private messaging on this site.  I will email the owner and alert him to your restoration thread as well as your posting of the registry in the general discussion section.  Do know that this person volunteers at the RE Olds Museum.  You might be able to contact the museum and establish contact with this person through the staff there.

Keith

Hello keith,

Thank you for your efforts but I know the owner of the green one and have actually listed his name in my first post. He is a member of the NAOC. His car is a wire wheeled F-32 and the only one currently being shown. It’s a very nice car done in the colors of an artist rendering in one of the 32’ Oldsmobile sales brochures. 

Edited by chistech (see edit history)

I'm a Ford guy and not fluent in GMspeek, are these cars Convertibles with roll up windows or Roadsters with side curtains? Bob 

I think these are "roadsters" with roll up windows. If I am not mistaken Oldsmobile was the only GM division that did this.

My understanding was in that era Roadsters used side curtains and Convertibles used roll-up windows. I know that is the case for '31 Chevrolets and '31 Chryslers. Of course a manufacturer could call them whatever they wanted. Should be easy to check what Olds called them. 

• Like 1

Oldsmobile called them “convertible roadsters”. Chevrolet called them Cabriolets. It is my understanding that Pontiac also called them convertible roadsters. They are all convertible roofed cars with folding landau bars and roll up windows. They all have folding windshields also.

• Like 1

I just stumbled upon your post. You are looking to build a roster of 32 Oldsmobile roadsters? I believe I have one with all my other old junk out back. It's a mess but I am pretty sure it's a 32 Olds roadster. I know 100% it's a 32 model and I know 100% it's a roadster with a rumble seat. I also recall a side golf door. There is a small possible chance it's a Pontiac. I think the bodies were pretty much the same. I have the title somewhere. If it's an Olds, I will give you the serial numbers to add to your roster. I will try to get close to the car and take photos but it's been buried under overgrown trees and sticker bushes since before 1960. There is a huge tree molded to the front fender so moving the car is not an option. I will post a few photos here if you like. It was an early attempt for a hotrod as there is a later Oldsmobile OHV Rocket 1950's V8 engine under the hood. I also recall it being a wood wheel car with the spare on back, non sidemounts.

Edited by RICHELIEUMOTORCAR (see edit history)

I went out back today and took a few photos so you guys would not think I am making something up so here is my proof. I can always back up what I say I have in the old junk pile. 😀Looks like an Olds to me and it does have wood wheels with the 5th spare out back, no side mounts. I also saw a data plate on the cowl so I wrote down the numbers. However, the plate only says, Fisher Body Corp, Detroit Michigan, it does not say Oldsmobile Motor Works or Pontiac or anything else. I could not get too close to the back of the car, too many pricker bushes and I thought I saw a snake in it, "just great, more crap to deal with". Anyways, it's either an Oldsmobile or maybe a Pontiac.  It has a folding front windshield, folding landau bars and a rumble seat, however, it has roll up side windows where a true roadster would not have side windows. Just what the heck is this thing?

IMG_6072.JPG

Edited by RICHELIEUMOTORCAR (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

It’s a Pontiac and if it had a golf bag door it would  have been a straight 8 as the Pontiac 6 cylinder convertible roadster in 32 did not. There are very similar but there are many more 32’ Pontiac Convertibles in existence (15-18) than Olds. A 6cyl recently sold in VT for $10k in complete condition, needing restoration. 

By by the way, the dead give away is the 4 vent doors on the hood. Olds have 5. 

4881067B-5647-43FD-AA02-093AC5601E3D.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well, we solved that mystery. Yes, when I looked at the four vent doors on the hood, I first thought it was an Olds 6 and maybe only the 8 had 5 vent doors. What also started to make me think it may have been a Pontiac was the teardrop looking rumble seat step plates as seen here in this photo. I also think since it has an Oldsmobile drivetrain, it was always in the back of my mind that it most likely is an Olds. Keep in mind, the car has been sitting out back for over 60 years and I never even took a real good look at it. Either way, at least the Pontiac guys now know of another rare 32 Pontiac convertible to exist. I hope I was able to help and I hope you guys enjoyed the photos. Maybe someday I will try and dig the car out and offer it to a good home. It would be nice to see such a rare car saved.

IMG_6070.JPG

• Like 2