Heated Running Boards

Hudsy Wudsy

I just came across a C/L ad for a '35 Olds. It looks like it's in real nice shape. Amongst it nice features, the seller says it has heated running boards. I already respectfully corrected the seller. I imagine that most of you know what he's talking about, but perhaps a few younger members don't. Who will be the first with the correct answer?

https://stlouis.craigslist.org/cto/d/1935-olds-model-sedan/6745595656.html

01717_eDbZQD9BAGH_1200x900.jpg

46 minutes ago, Hudsy Wudsy said:

Do any of you think that they would look better without all of that red paint?

Yes. Makes the grill look rusty. It is a pigs ear trying to chrome a grill like that too. I had one done for my '36 Chev and then tried to paint the rear part of it black. Not so easy!

Prefer it without the white wall tires. The wheels are attractive with nice pin striping and the white tires just hide them.

I believe that is the first GM turret top body too.

Edited by Spinneyhill (see edit history)
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Spinneyhill said:

Yes. Makes the grill look rusty. It is a pigs ear trying to chrome a grill like that too. I had one done for my '36 Chev and then tried to paint the rear part of it black. Not so easy!

Prefer it without the white wall tires. The wheels are attractive with nice pin striping and the white tires just hide them.

I believe that is the first GM turret top body too.

You're right about the turret top, Spinney. I once saw a film about that monumental feat. What we now take for granted was a landmark in it's day.

50 minutes ago, Bill Harmatuk said:

Give away price.

By the way. 

That is a reflection of something red.

Not rust on the grill.

Bill H

Bill, I respectfully disagree with you about the source of the red color. That's red paint added to the edges of the chrome to give it a distinctive look. I think that '35 might have been the first year that GM added red paint highlights to it's chrome. You'll notice that it was also added to the hood vents on this Olds. They used it in different places like grilles, hood ornaments, bumpers and bumper guards. Others will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that this decorative motif continued through '38 on various GM makes.

Edited by Hudsy Wudsy (see edit history)

13 hours ago, Johndavidhensley said:

Good evening

I reply to your post as I am unable to send a direct message to you.

I am looking for the clear vinyl seat covers we had in our car as kids.

I read you had an old set.

If not does ANYBIDY know where to get them?

Maybe you could inquire on the "Parts Wanted" forum. 

Ironically, there is an article on running board antennas in the Nov/Dec issue of the V-8 Times. There is also a 1935-1936,  article on how to use your rear mounted spare as an antenna. Ether way, I'll bet the reception was dismal.

• Like 1

On 12/4/2018 at 8:30 PM, GregLaR said:

Plymouth also had red painted accent on some of the chrome bits for 1938.

Maybe it was an industry vogue that year?

Yup.  AFAIK, 38 was the only year the grille badge had a red background - earlier ones were black and later were multi-color.  The wings under the grilles on my 38s had been re-chromed so the paint between the "feathers" was gone.  Rather than trying to make a repaint look good, I used some red pinstripe tape the right width - came out real nice.

I don't mean to belabor the point about red highlights in the 35 Olds grille, but while some 35 Oldsmobiles originally had red highlights, I don't think the grille did. 

More often than not restorers like to embelish. I personnally like factory stock. A nice Olds yes, and I'm grateful it didn't end up with green chartreuse highlights

which I see applied to some old marques.

n_1935 Oldsmobile Prestige-40.jpg

• Like 1

On 12/2/2018 at 2:23 PM, Johndavidhensley said:

Good evening

I reply to your post as I am unable to send a direct message to you.

I am looking for the clear vinyl seat covers we had in our car as kids.

I read you had an old set.

If not does ANYBIDY know where to get them?

I believe a supplier was FIngerhut. They are still in business, but I just looked and the covers are not listed.

On 12/3/2018 at 11:24 AM, Spinneyhill said:

If it was a new car, they were probably on the seats when it was delivered to the dealer and your folks said to leave them on?

I doubt that is what he refers to. Clear plastic seat covers were extremely common in the 50s and 60s up here in the US. They were put on usually when the car was new to preserve the upholstery, much like the leatherette and plaid ones that you still see on an unrestored car from time to time. The clear plastic ones came 2 ways, 1) plain clear (like boat side curtain window material) and 2) embossed with some small geometric or floral pattern to give it a little texture.

On 12/1/2018 at 8:03 AM, Hudsy Wudsy said:

I think that '35 might have been the first year that GM added red paint highlights to it's chrome. You'll notice that it was also added to the hood vents on this Olds. They used it in different places like grilles, hood ornaments, bumpers and bumper guards. Others will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that this decorative motif continued through '38 on various GM makes. 

I agree. My 36 Pontiac has red painted highlights in various places on the chrome. Originally it would have had highlights on the grille too, but on my car those would have been silver. On a car with red stripes on the wheels, It would have been red..

On 11/30/2018 at 6:10 PM, Hudsy Wudsy said:

Do any of you think that all of that red paint is more of distraction than an enhancement?

I think the grille is distracting. Note that the first Olds has red striping on the wheels, while the second one has silver. They might very well both have highlights on the grille, but the silver wouldn't stand out.

My moms next door neighbor who’s in his mid nineties has a 71 or 72’ Mercedes 220d that he bought new and he put those embossed clear seat covers on. Many years ago, he and that car became a member of the Mercedes million mile club with I think 2 or 3 rebuilds on the motor. Haven’t seen the car in years (it’s in his garage along with another older Mercedes diesel) but it was always like new and garaged all its life. Her neighbor is currently living  in a home wife his wife and the house is basically closed up. He is an extremely intelligent man and was an electrical engineer who designed the power house panel/switch board for the old New Bedford Gas and Edison Light Co. In later years, much after he had retired, they still had to call him in to troubleshoot the plant because no one else could figure it out. Not many men like him exist anymore these days.