1932 Pontiac Cabriolet for sale

sftamx1

Interesting car.  I am pretty sure this car was for sale in Hemmings about a year ago and in pieces.  It looks like somebody got it back together.  I keep a database of all 1932 Pontiacs and this one is on my list but with ownership "unknown".  Do you have any contact information for the seller?  I am the Pontiac-Oakland Club tech advisor for '32 and would appreciate getting some current information on ownership.  I can't read what the sign says about the number surviving but I do have 13 of this body style on my list worldwide.  It is actually called a convertible coupe Model 32318.  While my database is not perfect I think saying there are 10-15 survivors is not unreasonable.  However, from those records I think there are probably only half or less of them that are in drivable condition.  Additionally, there are two remaining V-8's of this body style that I am aware of. 

From what paint is left it looks like it was was two tone blue and probably the same colors as my sport coupe in my profile picture.  Antibes Blue and Boatswain Blue.  It would be a beautiful car if restored.

• 7 months later...

I am confused about the cabriolet, I read that it started as a 1928 Oakland model and then Pontiac made one but only in 1929. I know that due to sales GM shut down Oakland and kept Pontiac but what is the true history of the cabriolet model?

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/3/2018 at 11:22 PM, 32Pontiac6 said:

Interesting car.  I am pretty sure this car was for sale in Hemmings about a year ago and in pieces.  It looks like somebody got it back together.  I keep a database of all 1932 Pontiacs and this one is on my list but with ownership "unknown".  Do you have any contact information for the seller?  I am the Pontiac-Oakland Club tech advisor for '32 and would appreciate getting some current information on ownership.  I can't read what the sign says about the number surviving but I do have 13 of this body style on my list worldwide.  It is actually called a convertible coupe Model 32318.  While my database is not perfect I think saying there are 10-15 survivors is not unreasonable.  However, from those records I think there are probably only half or less of them that are in drivable condition.  Additionally, there are two remaining V-8's of this body style that I am aware of. 

From what paint is left it looks like it was was two tone blue and probably the same colors as my sport coupe in my profile picture.  Antibes Blue and Boatswain Blue.  It would be a beautiful car if restored.

Hello.. going back many years, sometime in the late 60's my dad picked up his 32 Cabriolet convertible somewhere in the US.I think Indiana? Dad passed in 1980. I sold the car shortly after my mom's passing in perhaps 94-95? Was sold to a man in British Columbia, perhaps Victoria area. I'm certain my dad was a member of the Pontiac Oakland club. Was also at one time President of Historical Automobile Society of Canada(HASC). My dad's name was Reg Carne, from North Bay Ontario, Canada. Any chance you have info dating back that far? Anything you have would be very interesting to me. At one time, again many yrs ago, a Google search produced a pic of dad's car. It was a yellowish body brown fenders. Thanking you in advance for anything you may have on the car. I have a notion I would like to reacquire it if at all possible. .... Dave Carne, North Bay Ontario, Canada.

On 7/30/2019 at 4:00 AM, Oldbart said:

I am confused about the cabriolet, I read that it started as a 1928 Oakland model and then Pontiac made one but only in 1929. I know that due to sales GM shut down Oakland and kept Pontiac but what is the true history of the cabriolet model?

Unless you had access to Oakland Division GM records of meetings etc. there is no way today to know the true history.  GM changed nomenclature and terminology about as fast a some people change their shirt.  There was never any continuity.  Senior staff from Divisions were moved back and forth and took designations with them, or invented new ones.  Every few years there was a whole new strategy that was supposed to help sales.  Most of them did not work.  Divisions were combined one way for production and another way for dealerships.  Then they were re organized again and again.  Then they started to sell off assets to show a profit and pay dividends and look how far the once great have fallen.

As I posted once before, for you, here is a sampling of Cabriolet or Convertible Coupe for a 12 year period for Oakland and Pontiac.  Who knows how these names were arrived at.  I don't believe any one with that knowledge is alive today, and certainly written records are long gone.

This is a compilation of information from my library and other data in these books leads me to believer that there were original errors by GM writers and that each new writer made other errors.

April 1, 1934 Master parts list Pontiac and Oakland Chassis parts

shows a cabriolet for Oakland in 1931 O/8 and for Pontiac in 1931 and 1932 P/6 and P/8

1925-1940 Master Parts Book Pontiac and Oakland Chassis parts.

shows no cabriolet for any year but does show Convertible Coupe for 1931 P/6 and O/8,

1932 P/6, P/8, 1933 P/8, 1934 P/8, 1935 P/6 and P/8, 1936 P/6 and P/8 in both Master and Deluxe and the same for 1937-1940.

1934 Pontiac and Oakland Body Parts

Does not list a cabriolet from 1926-1934

Does list Convertible coupe in all places where the Chassis parts book lists a Cabriolet.

“A History of General Motors” by Timothy Jacobs shows a picture of a 1934 Cabriolet.

“Identification guide Pontiac 1926-1966” by Thomas Bonsall

Shows a Sport Cabriolet in 1928, a Convertible Cabriolet in 1929, a Convertible Coupe in 1931,

a V-8 and a Six Convertible Coupe in 1932, a Convertible Coupe in 1933, a Cabriolet in 1934,

a De Luxe Six and a De Lux eight Cabriolet in 1935, 1936 and 1937, an Eight and a Six Cabriolet in 1938 and 1940.

“standard catalog of PONTIAC 1926-1995”

Shows a convertible cabriolet and lists a Cabriolet Convertible 2/4P 8960 in 1929, lists a Convertible Coupe 2/4P 31318 in 1931, shows a V-8 Convertible Coupe 2/4P 32368 and lists a Convertible Coupe 2/4P 32318 for 1932, lists a Convertible Coupe 2/4P 33318 for 1933, lists a Cabriolet 2/4P 34318 for 1934, lists and shows a Six Cabriolet 2/4P 2167AA in 1935, shows a six cabriolet and lists Cabriolet 2/4P 6BB, 2/4P 6BA and 2/4P 8BA in 1936, Shows a Deluxe Six cabriolet and lists a Cabriolet 2/4P 2667 and 2867 in 1937, shows a Cabriolet and lists 2/4P

2667 and 2/4P 2867 in 1938, lists a 5P 2667 and 2867 in 1939, shows and lists a cabriolet 4P 2667 in 1940.

• 2 years later...
19 minutes ago, Lyle Jorgensen said:

I have just acquired a pristine 1932 Series 402 six 2-Dr convertible. It is too nice to drive. Have both finished side mount tire covers. We named her "Fancy". 

4DE8259A-5DAB-4ED1-866F-845F477D8D55.jpeg.440a189e1748b75b9cc83a43caaaeb1f.jpeg

Very very nice. You should start a thread on the car. I love it except for the tires of course. Enjoy!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lyle Jorgensen said:

I have just acquired a pristine 1932 Series 402 six 2-Dr convertible. It is too nice to drive. Have both finished side mount tire covers. We named her "Fancy". 

4DE8259A-5DAB-4ED1-866F-845F477D8D55.jpeg.440a189e1748b75b9cc83a43caaaeb1f.jpeg

That is a beautiful example of a convertible coupe.  I am the Technical Advisor for 1932 for the Pontiac Oakland Club and keep a list of all '32's and don't think this one is in my directory.  I would like to chat with you about the car sometime.  If you could send me a private message with contact information we can communicate.  

I also have a website for splithead (1926-32) Pontiacs and there is lots of information about '32's on it.  The site is:

www.pontiacsplithead.com

Rob

Edited by 32Pontiac6 (see edit history)
  • Like 1