Upside-down fuel sediment bowl???

Batwing-8

Members:  I've recently noticed a '37 Cadillac and a '50 Chevrolet which both have the glass fuel sediment bowl mounted in an upside down position. On non-GM cars, I've seen these bowls mounted open-side up, such that sediment would accumulate in the BOTTOM of the bowl, thus allowing the fuel-filled cup to be removed and cleaned when the bail is loosened. 

How can that process work as I envision, if the bowl is mounted upside down? Or.......... am I missing something here? 

The bowl-on-top fuel pump for Cadillac flathead V8s was specified as a service replacement in 1943 due to vapor lock issues with the original configuration.  AFAIK, all 1946-48 Cads had bowl-on-top.  This is from a oft-reprinted 1944/45 Cadillac publication.

Can't give you the science but it worked fine for me.

My 1954 Series 62 convertible had the bowl on the bottom when I got the car back in '06.  Reversing it and later removing it and replacing it with a modern in-line filter altogether relieved the vapor lock issue, and we've since driven the car on 10,000 and 4,000 mle cross-country trips through some extremely hot conditions.

Thanks to those who have responded. However, my question dealt with the issue of, if the bowl is upside down, the "bottom" can't collect settled sediment as did the "standard" configuration. Secondly, if the upside down bowl is to be removed, isn't it full of fuel which would drain over the motor as soon as the bail is released? Obviously the configuration must "work" but it sure appears "funny!" 

Are you sure it can't? Which way does the fuel flow through the filter?

The sediment bowl on my 36 Pontiac is built upside down about like that, and doesn't even have a glass bowl up there, just a metal cover. It uses a fine brass screen (that also will fit the "normal looking" AC right-side-up sediment bowl). IIRC the gas has to flow up to get through the screen. There are cavities cast in the metal below to catch the crud that falls.