Terry Wiegand

AND THEN THERE WERE THREE

Posted (edited)

In the interest of moving forward, I want to get the speedometer head installed back into the dashboard.  Several years ago I traded the original unit to the car to Russ Furstnow for this one.  It is the same unit with the exception that this one has the light colored face.  Russ had completely gone through this one and he told me that this one was one of the best ones of these that he had ever came across.  We did our swap at the Chickasha Swap Meet and I had him set the odometer to the same mileage that was on the original head.  I also had him go through the flexible cable and check to make sure that all of the chain links would operate as they should.  I should have the swivel unit mounted back on the front axle maybe on Friday.  It has just been so blasted hot here that a person doesn't feel like getting out in the heat.  I will post some photos when that is done.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

P7310542.JPG

Edited by Terry Wiegand
GRAMMAR (see edit history)
  • Like 5

I'm still trying to keep moving forward with things on this car.  Here is a photo of the period accessory dash clock.  This is a porcelain-faced Sessions clock and from what I have been able to find out this was a modestly expensive timepiece back in the day.  I have had it cleaned and calibrated and it keeps accurate time for being over 100 years old.  Having its mounting base removed from the dash panel allowed for polishing out the dash.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

P8080545.JPG

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

I spoke with the shop manager at Abrahams Machine Service in Davenport, Iowa this afternoon.  He told me that they will be starting on my engine next week.  I am going to go up after they have everything disassembled and cleaned to get photos.  This will be the first time that this engine has been opened up in 104 years.  I can personally account for the last 56 years that nothing has been done with this engine.  I will post photos when I get them.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

Edited by Terry Wiegand
GRAMMAR (see edit history)
  • Like 6

One has to keep moving forward or nothing gets done.  I spoke with the shop manager at Abrahams yesterday morning and got a dose of good news and some not so good news to go along with it.  The good news is the engine has been completely disassembled and waiting for cleaning.  The bad news is that a small crack was discovered in the #6 cylinder wall.  When the cracks in the water jacket were repaired they pressure tested the block at 45 psi with no reported problems.  The guys at the shop feel that since this engine has set so long without coolant, the crack has simply rusted shut and did not expose itself under pressure.  ALL of the cylinder walls were ultrasound tested for wall thicknesses and then Magnafluxed for any signs of additional cracking.  They were able to determine that the #6 cylinder was the only problem area.  The guys told me that this crack was more than likely NOT related to a coolant freezing situation.  It is the farthest cylinder from the radiator and would suffer from overheating quicker than the others.  There is adequate wall thickness to  bore and sleeve the cylinder and end up with uniform bore diameters on all cylinders, so this is the route we will be taking - only a minor setback I gotta keep telling myself.  I asked Dave how the oil pan looked after setting all these years. His answer was "Not too bad".  I told him that my Dad always run Marvel Mystery Oil in any engine that he owned.  His reply was - good stuff.  I hope to make a quick run up and get photos after everything is all cleaned up.  The rods and crankcase will be taken down to St. Louis to have new bearings poured.  We are optimistic that the engine will be coming home sometime around Thanksgiving.  More photos to come and updates as I get them.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

This is a good time for an update on the engine rebuild progress.  I made a trip to Davenport, Iowa on 09/11 to talk with the guys at the shop and get some photos of everything while the engine is torn down.  They have gone through the oil pump and I was told that the gears looked really good and the bottom plate took minimal lapping to bring it back to where it should be.  The crankshaft has been MagnaFluxed and it is good in that respect.  The rod journals are in not that great of shape and likewise for the mains.  The main bearings and rod bearings are going to be sent out for the pouring of new Babbitt material.  The wrist pins will be able to be reused in the new Ross Aluminum Pistons.  The #6 cylinder will have to be sleeved to take care of the crack situation.  The front and rear camshaft bearings are in really decent condition, however, the two middle bearings will have to be replaced.  Try and figure that one out.  The camshaft has been checked and micro-polished, so nothing to do there but install.  All of the roller lifter assemblies are new.  All of the valve cages have been rebuilt with new stainless valves and new springs.  The rocker posts have new shafts and new bushings.  The pushrods are all new.  The starter/generator unit has been rebuilt.  The water pump has been rebuilt.  The manifolds have been ceramic coated.  With all of that said - here are some photos.  Almost forgot this detail - the oil pump drive spring is going to be made new.  There was an issue with the original spring that made reusing it not safe.  The one photo will show that.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas 

P9110578.JPG

• Like 3

On 9/13/2019 at 10:08 PM, Terry Wiegand said:

Another photo

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas 

P9120590.JPG

I guess I have to ask since all I see is a 100 year old spring (and it looks just like every spring I’ve seen on my car) - What is the issue here that makes reusing it not safe?

Granted, my coworkers have been badgering me to see an eye Dr. for 2 years since I can’t see the ‘burn’ on cutting tools anymore....

Ben P.

Edited by Ben Perfitt
Typo (see edit history)

Ben,

Look at where the curve goes into the straight and you will see where the wire has a worn spot almost halfway through it.  It might be OK to use as is, but if the wire were to break, then the oil pump function would be lost and could potentially destroy the engine.  I would rather be safe than sorry with this situation.  I am having a new spring made as I write this.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

• Like 2