Terry Wiegand

AND THEN THERE WERE THREE

The transport cradle is finished and the last thing that I will do is put a strip of 1/4" plywood on each side of the pistons to secure them from movement.  I guess I can add engine transporter to my resume now.  It is hurry up and wait.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

P4080426.JPG

• Like 2

We are Northbound tonight at around 10:00 PM.  This day has been a long time coming.  More photos when we get back home.  The thin plywood keeps the rods and pistons stable and tight during the trip.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

P4160436.JPG

• Like 2

The engine was delivered to Abrahams Machine Service in Davenport, Iowa this morning.  The gentleman who is going to be doing the work on our engine is also working on a 1937 Cadillac V-16 engine.  That engine is really quite impressive when it is completely torn down.  I have other parts and pieces on the car to attend to while the engine is gone.  Will keep everyone up to date on the progress.  Here is the contact information for Abrahams should anyone want to contact them with questions.  Really great folks to work with.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

P4180441.JPG

On 4/16/2019 at 12:22 PM, Terry Wiegand said:

We are Northbound tonight at around 10:00 PM.  This day has been a long time coming.  More photos when we get back home.  The thin plywood keeps the rods and pistons stable and tight during the trip.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

P4160436.JPG

What year is that pickup truck? 

It is a 1995 that I ordered brand new.  It still has the plastic cover on the back seat from when it was built.  

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

• Like 1

On 4/16/2019 at 12:22 PM, Terry Wiegand said:

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

P4160436.JPG

"It is a 1995 that I ordered brand new.  It still has the plastic cover on the back seat from when it was built.  

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas" 

--------

My 1998 GMC Sierra 1500 3 door, owner since 2002 and driven daily.  Great truck!  

20180716_173644.thumb.jpg.dbfcfa4dfb76eaa797c89d8e9b126a8a.jpg

Hugh has had a launch of his 1925 on Easter Sunday.

IMG_1842_Moment.thumb.jpg.112fe0bebc21c99da2ea819152cd3c9b.jpg

IMG_1842_Moment2.thumb.jpg.cc30b3fec364e77f5477dc776153f74b.jpg

Congratulations!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

That's my mom - Ms Daisy on the passenger side.  She is almost as old as my Buick.  

• Like 2

That must have been quite a treat for her, did she like it? 

A bit breezy... 

She loved the ride.  It is a bit of a step for her to get in and out.  She said it was a Humdinger.  

• Like 1

While we're waiting on the engine, I'm going to get the parts and pieces that I already have done together and all in one place.  Here are two photos of the roller lifter guides and lifter guide  clamps.   Back in the day, the price on the clamps was 20 cents apiece.

I will have the lifter assemblies all put together and plastic bagged waiting to be assembled into the crankcase.  I finished the machine work on these parts in the late Fall of 1996.  It has taken way more time than I have wanted to get this project to where it is now.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

P4210442.JPG

Edited by Terry Wiegand (see edit history)
  • Like 2

On 4/22/2019 at 11:34 PM, Hubert_25-25 said:

She loved the ride.  It is a bit of a step for her to get in and out.  She said it was a Humdinger.  

A friend of mine uses "Humdinger" a lot, he's the only one I've heard say it. 

I showed these posts to him, he was impressed you could drive a Buick that way and enjoyed the story and pictures Hugh! 

• Like 1

They look great Terry.  Big difference between these and the lifters on my 1922.

4 hours ago, Terry Wiegand said:

While we're waiting on the engine, I'm going to get the parts and pieces that I already have done together and all in one place.  Here are two photos of the roller lifter guides and lifter guide  clamps.   Back in the day, the price on the clamps was 20 cents apiece.

I will have the lifter assemblies all put together and plastic bagged waiting to be assembled into the crankcase.  I finished the machine work on these parts in the late Fall of 1996.  It has taken way more time than I have wanted to get this project to where it is now.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

Daughter was born in 1996.  She drove the first Reatta to South Bend in 2013 with a younger brother as navigator.  If things go according to plan, she’ll be with me in the Skyhawk down to Oklahoma.

Don,

The clamps were fine - did nothing with them.  The guides were shot.  There was .052" side-to-side slop in the worse one.  That particular 'find' was what helped make the decision to rebuild the complete valve train.  My Dad always complained that the engine was so noisy.  After I got into it I found exactly why it was so very noisy.  I will be posting more photos of what has already been done in the next few days.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

• Thanks 1

Here is a photo of the valve cage nuts that were made for the 1916 engine AND the 1920 and 1922 engines.  I have a friend who does a lot of work for the plastics facilities up in McPherson, Kansas.  I was able to catch him during a short lull in his work load and they turned these pieces out for me.  They have several 5-Axis machining centers and all of what you see here was done in about two days.  I used 12L14 bar stock and things came out beautifully.  I certainly have the ability to single point parts and pieces like this, but, in the interest of time, it made perfect sense to do it in the machining center.  There are a few extras for each engine just in case.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

P5010231.JPG

It amazes me what the NC machines can do. Accurate, quick and identical parts.

I agree, sure beats the heck out of single pointing.

This photo shows the rebuilt valve cage assemblies for the 1916 engine.  The valves are new stainless steel.  The springs were made to Buick Motor Company Engineering Drawing specifications.  I machined new spring cups and caps along with a whole bunch of spring cap keepers.  The keepers and spring caps went through the heat treat process.  I machined a special fixture or 'pot' to hold the cage so that the guide area could be bored out.  I used an extruded ductile material called 'DuraBar' for the new guides.  This material machines beautifully and works perfectly with the stainless valve stems.  With proper oiling this material has a tendency to just get slicker over time.  The cage nuts are done.  We're looking at the finished cage assemblies, and the brass sealing rings are finished.  I have been busy behind the scenes with finishing up the many parts and components, so that when the engine does come back home, it will simply be a matter of setting things back together.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas 

VALVE CAGE ASSEMBLY PHOTOS 006.jpg

• Like 4

I spoke with the guys at the machine shop in Davenport, Iowa this morning.  The Mississippi River as of this morning was an inch and a half under the all time record level.  Their shop is dry and they are keeping their fingers crossed.  It will be the first part of June before the flood waters recede.  So, in the meantime, here are some photos of the rebuilt Marvel carburetor for the engine.  Classic Carburetors did the restoration on this for me several years ago.  It is very fortunate that I had this done back then as they have closed the door on their shop.  Here is the 'before' photo.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

1916 BUICK CARBURETOR 001.jpg

Things are starting to move forward once again.  Larry Schramm took the starter/generator unit for the '16 back with him from Chickasha and delivered it to Rex Curtiss in Lansing, Michigan for me to be rebuilt.  He brought it back for me to the BCA Meet in Oklahoma City on Thursday.  Rex and his guys did a beautiful job on it.  I had the front cover and the coupling ring plated before the rebuild.  The top cover that the 'mailbox' coil mounts on is coming back with the painted parts that will be coming back home sometime in the upcoming week.  These guys do absolutely marvelous work on these very complicated pieces of early day electrical equipment.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

P6160493.JPG

• Like 1