NOS JACK for 1930 Studebaker 1927 Erskine - Seeking Confirmation

I found this super nice pair of AJAX jacks at the spring Winchester WV swap meet a few years ago and am finally starting to sell my collection of automotive jacks.  Before I sell a jack I try my best to get a solid ID, because there is a lot of mis-information and mis-representation to be found.  As far as condition when's the last time you saw a NOS jack from the 1930's ??? 

A seller on eBay has a similar jack listed but his does not "exactly" match the factory illustration.  My jack pictured on the left ( #58 ) has a much closer match in my opinion.

Am believing this jack to be the correct jack for the 1930 Studebaker Dictator 6 & 8, and the 1927 Erskine 6.  Any comment ?

The handle with the NOS jack is one piece.  On the factory illustration page ( Illus No 23 ) it shows this car came with a 2 piece flat folding handle.  Humm.

The jack on the right ( #59 ) I'm still digging up info on that one.

ukj_studebaker30sNOS.jpg

On 12/5/2018 at 7:40 PM, Tom Devoe said:

Wowabunga - here's a pic of the one from my 31 Stude. Does yours have any markings that I could compare to mine?

Tom looks like your jack is identical to the drawing I've seen that appears in the Studebaker literature.    My jack (58) on the left is identical to your jack as well as Keniman's jack.  All three are the same visually.   AJAX marked their jacks with a small circular red tag that was attatched to one of the rivets near the crank.  Seems all three are missing or simply were not supplied to commercial accounts.

Both handles are two piece handles and look very similar to the factory documentation.

On 12/5/2018 at 9:44 PM, keninman said:

These were under the front seat of my 29 Dictator when I bought it.

Very thankful for these photos.   See previous comments about this jack.

Looks like the handles were slightly different than what is pictured in the factory literature, but this is very slight difference.  Wonderful info...!

Thanks.

• Like 1

When I bought my '33 Rockne nearly thirty years ago these tools were under the seat. The cast metal screw type jack bears no resemblance to the models you've shown, and is quite probably not from the Rockne factory. The bent base gives the indication the jack has seen some use. 😬 There's a crank type lug wrench with a wooden handle, as well as the hand crank for starting should the electric starter fail. I am missing the crank that would have raised the jack. It would have a square drive.

PC120557.JPG

PC120559.JPG

PC120560.JPG

• Like 2

4 hours ago, studeq said:

Parts book image. Have all others. 

Studeeq.... the top image plate 5... from what year is this please ?

Your images are incredible as a research tool...!!!   Just this week have found that there are 3 different handles for the same jack... a one piece, a two piece, and a three piece.

I'm seeing a very slight difference in the two jacks illustrated looking at your two reference images you've provided.

On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 11:22 PM, Wowabunga said:

Studeeq.... the top image plate 5... from what year is this please ?

Your images are incredible as a research tool...!!!   Just this week have found that there are 3 different handles for the same jack... a one piece, a two piece, and a three piece.

I'm seeing a very slight difference in the two jacks illustrated looking at your two reference images you've provided.

Erskine parts book image below.

IMG_0733.JPG

• Thanks 1

On 12/17/2018 at 2:36 PM, starlightcoupe said:

So, it would appear that the jack that came with my Rockne is correct. Perhaps the hinged section at the top was an improvement for the 1933 model.

jack.jpg

Starlight your jack in your car does not match up unfortunately.  The factory illustration shows no holes in the upright... and you can't see it but the correct jack has a two tier screw that are set up like risers after one is deployed if you need more height you can unscrew the second inner screw.  Also the correct jack uses a folding handle and the tip end of the handle is flat like many of the modern handles.  Correct jack is made by Auto Specialties.

The handles are tough to find they all got bent up back in the day.  If I find a correct jack in my travels I'll give you a hollar.

Don't toss the jack you have now I'm pretty sure it has value, just can't put my finger on it right now which car it matches up... I think it's a 30's Mopar.