Any one else watch Perry Mason?

Paul from PA

Winter is coming and I have been taping some of the old Perry Mason TV shows. A 1961 Buick convertible has been used in many episodes with different characters driving it. The show is in black and white so I am not sure of the color. An episode I watched last night also had a 1956 Buick Special convertible. I am sure other old programs have Buicks in as well

Paul:

I have been watching Perry Mason for this previous year. I missed the Pilot episode from 1957 but have pretty much seen the later ones. It seems that the sponsoring car companies bounced back and forth from GM to Ford and back. The early 57 season showed Perry driving a dark 57 Retractable HT.  Lt. Tragg and company in 57 Ford Cop cars. (also noticed many had no drivers side view mirrors). Paul Drake driving a "light colored sports car" (Corvette). Later in the season shows him in a 57 Eldorado convert. The second season was Buick heaven with many 58s spotlighted. The one I watched last night was from 1959 and had Perry in a 59 Caddy. Convert. Then several episodes go by and A 59 Thunderbird shows up. The early 60s episodes show quite a few Buick convertibles. The mid 1960s show Perry with a white Lincoln 4 dr. convertible.

The original movie Perry Mason from the mid 1930s was Warren William. In some views during one of the 1934 series movies it looks that he has a 1934 Buick 90 series Convertible coupe. Alan Jenkins as "Spudsy" Paul Drake driving. From the B&W tone quality it may be like the Blue one in this photo.

DSCF3173.thumb.JPG.d36594925dffb425f5c64f04834dd4bc.JPG

• Like 1

Around the time of Y2K, I got off work at midnight.  At that time, there were THREE sets of Perry Mason re-runs on at that time of the morning.  That's when I saw him with the '57 Ford Skyliner, in black.  In the later '50s, there were some shows that were moving advertisements for GM cars.  Tragg was in a black Buick Special 2-dr sedan.  Perry and Della showed in in one scene in the Cadillac convertible.  The "good guy gone bad" was in a '56 Pontiac.  It also seems like the '59 episodes were where Paul Drake started driving T-birds?

1962 had Perry in an Electra 225 6-Window Sedan, I believe.  Then Lincolns after that.

Always liked that show.  Justice was always done, even if it looked like it wasn't going to happen.  "Expert Witnesses" were really experts, by observation.  Never did read the books, just watched the tv shows.  The cars weren't bad either!

NTX5467

Well, as it seems, my memory of Perry's cars was not as good as I thought!  I first looked at the IMCDB.com website and found a "search" for "Perry Mason".  Lots of information, there.  But the ultimate car list of the first three seasons was at www.perrymasontvshow.com , click on "The Cars".  Apparently Paramount put out a 3 DVD set of the first three seasons, somewhere along the line.

The '57 Ford Fairland 500 Skyliner was listed, as were similar '58 and '59 models (all three years of production).  There was also a '57 Buick Special convertible.  But there were also '57-'59 Cadillac Series 62 convertibles in that mix, too!  Paul Drake was in a '57 Corvette, then a '57 T-bird, followed by his seemingly constant '58 T-bird convertible.

There was a nice article at MeTV - Chicago on the "Cars of Perry Mason".  Same content on another website, too.

In the '65 model year, there was a light blue Lincoln convertible, which was reputed to be stripped in the show.  One of the color episodes.

Some interesting stuff out there!  Google "Perry Mason Cars" and lots of stuff comes up!

Enjoy!

NTX5467

Was the '56 Buick in that episode a victim of "burned bearing"? I remember an episode with that subject from yeeeaaars ago.

On every night at 11:30 EST on MeTV.  Followed by the Twlight Zone, more cars from the 60s typically.

Edited by Frank DuVal (see edit history)
  • Like 1

If you want pre war Buicks try Torchy Blane movies, many scenes are in or near a big '37 and '38 Roadmaster police car with side mounts .  That series of shows turn up on TCM or maybe YouTube have them for viewing or downloading.    Offices, restaurants, candlestick telephones and clothing outfits add interest to the times cars are not featured.  Torchy Blane movies were made with everything new and current, as opposed to say the Untouchables where the producers wanted a time period piece.  The plots are good too, romantic comedy with some crime solving.

Might appeal to the Mrs if she shares your interest in the late thirties America.  Gary 

Love the "Torchy" series for the same reasons. Glenda Farrell and Barton McClain work great together.

Last night on Perry Mason there was a variety of FMC stuff. Edsel Convert, other Fords and Mercurys. But there was also a new, White 1959 Buick Electra convert and Lt. Tragg's car was a  Black 1959 Electra 4 dr. sedan.

• Like 1