225 cu.in. slant six

Can anyone tell me, the approximate years and models of vehicles, which this motor came with at production? I have the motor and am looking for a project car to install it in. I realize this a bassackward way of approaching a project but it will be my first, so live and learn.

They started using the slant 6 about 1962 and used them until the early 80's. The engines had modifications so you could ID it to a perticular year or group.( IE.- spark plug hole boots, ext.) good luck

Guest carlnut50

The slant 6 came out in 1960.There were originally 2 sizes,a 170 cid and a 225 cid,the 225 has a taller block because it has a 1 inch longer stroke.The easiest way to tell the difference at a glance is to look at the water pump bypass hose which connects from the top of the pump to a fitting at the front of the cyl head.The best I can remember the small engine has a hose about 1.5 inch long and the large engine has a hose about 2.5 inches long.They also had a 198 cid eng in the early 70's but it is built on the tall block.

Thanks for the info about 1960 being the start date of the 225cid slant. Now as to makes and models into which I can easily slide this motor without too many problems re: motor mounts, anybody out there who can help with info will be greatly appreciated. If anyone reading this can think of a GREAT project car for this motor please feel free to suggest one. Thanks again.

• 2 years later...

If you are still doing this(this thread is almost 3 years old) there are several cars that you can use. Any Dodge Dart/Plymouth Valiant. I have even heard of a stock Plymouth 'Cuda(1970/71) that had one in it. Any of the middle to late 60's Barracudas, The early 60's B-body cars had them as well as the middle 60's. Not so much the higher end Dodges, (monaco, polara, etc), Plymouths(fury III, GTX, Sat.) none to my rememberance of any of the Chrysler line. They all started out as V-8's.