Wowabunga

Unique GM Ignition

1 hour ago, Carolina Chevrolet said:

I believe that  bracket was used '47 to '53 trucks with a floor mounted starter button. 

Yes I found a new repo that has the backing matching 47-53.   Not sure why there is a chrome nib... the nib moves with the key when turning.

Maybe some mountain men with huge hands were breaking off keys and they added a little bit of a "bumper guard" to aide in keeping things rolling along ?!?!?

Ok here's the exact setup for those looking to learn something today...  Thanks Carolina Chevy for the productive direction...!

http://www.oldchevytrucks.com/Articles/Ignition-Switch-Changes.php

Edited by Wowabunga (see edit history)

I believe the nib is so you can start and stop the engine without the key.  There should be three positions lock, off and on.If I remember right the key can be taken out in the off position and then you use the nib to turn the ignition on and off.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Tinindian said:

I believe the nib is so you can start and stop the engine without the key.  There should be three positions lock, off and on.If I remember right the key can be taken out in the off position and then you use the nib to turn the ignition on and off.

YES!  I seem to recall this feature on a high school friend's 1949 Chev--over 50 years ago!

Thats it. Many older GM products had a way to leave the ignition unlocked without the key in. I had a 53 BelAir that had a raised area around the key slot for the same purpose.

The Ancient version of today's "valet key" 

• Like 1

In 1981 I was in PNG and went to stay with a friend. Their compound was fenced but the Holden was parked on the street. We had only been home 5 minutes when he car was stolen. The ignition lock had a big pair of wings, sort of like that above, around the key opening. They just forced the big butterfly wings  to brake the lock and start the car.

I read the nib was a big hit on farms where the farm truck was always on the ready to go.

I had a 57 Chevy with an ignition switch like that. While visiting my girlfriends family in college her father hopped in the car and took it for a spin... I had the keys.... and no knowledge of this feature!  This was in the early 2000’s.