hard brake pedal 1955 olds w/power brakes

ken kirkpatrick

I had a 1955 Pontiac Starchief, power booster; rebuilt by ED Strain.  It was perfect after he worked on it. I don't remember what type it was. But here is his ad.

There are several types :  THE AD FROM ED STRAIN , There are four main types of power brake boosters that we rebuild. There’s the Midlandbooster, the Bendix Treadle Vac and the Bendix Hydro Vac boosters, and the Delco Moraine Booster. We rebuild other types of boosters as well, but these are the four primary types of brake units that we work with.

Don't just get a rebuild kit and do it yourself; unless you have done some before. But maybe you are trained on them. I worked on many types of braking systems in my career; but needed help on this one. 

Of course the rest of the braking system must also be in excellent condition to maximize the result.

intimeold

3 hours ago, Bhigdog said:

Biting tongue here........bob

You are doing great Bob.

But I have dentures, so have problems biting my tongue.

I don't read a question in the original OP.  There are no capital letters, no commas, change of tense and no question mark.

We had this issue with our 1958 Olds 98, rebuilt the entire system and had good pedal but the car didn't stop well. We had the modern brake lining replaced with a softer material and it works fine now. It took u$ a long time to nail the problem down. All brake linings are not created equal.

IMG_5339.JPG

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Tinindian said:

You are doing great Bob.

But I have dentures, so have problems biting my tongue.

I don't read a question in the original OP.  There are no capital letters, no commas, change of tense and no question mark.

Comment was towards what he said not how he said it,Tin. Comment on vendor by pm only......bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)

To Ken, the OP.

I would suggest that you take a close look at your wheel cylinders.

If they are stuck it would result in a hard pedal.

You may have one or two that work but your master cylinder is made to work all four wheel cylinders.

Speaking about brakes and shoe compounds. Can you still buy the lining material that is softer?  My brother sent me a package of car tools that belonged to my dad that passed a few years ago and in the box was a brake shoe rivet setting tool.  Looks very old. Probably belonged to his dad. If the lining material is available then I could do my own shoes.