I see a time of remarkable prosperity and optimism . And people who don' really care about sea water corroding their nifty fifty's cars.

Greg in Canada

• Like 1

Looks like the guy on the motorcycle is checking out the brand new 57 Ford.  I can’t see any other 57 models in the photo but it appears the car on the other side of the bike is a 56 Merc. Or maybe the guy on the bike doesn’t notice the new Ford for what’s on the other side of it!

Edited by Modeleh (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I see the beach where Pontiac won it's first DAYTONA Grand National Stock Car race for 1957, and to repeat it in 1958 on the last time Stockers would run on the sand. 

Can you still park on the sand down there?  East Coast Beaches' the sand isn't firm enough.

When I was in the Navy I drove my '68 Javelin out on the sandy beach in Pensacola Fla. and was amazed that I had no problem with traction. 

If you look close, you can still see the groves dug in the sand from 1951-54. Where the Hudson's out cornered everyone. :lol:Image result for hudson race car

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Doug Novak said:

Can you still park on the sand down there?  East Coast Beaches' the sand isn't firm enough.

When I was in the Navy I drove my '68 Javelin out on the sandy beach in Pensacola Fla. and was amazed that I had no problem with traction. 

Not sure but you can on some Oregon beaches. 

2 hours ago, Doug Novak said:

Emerald Isle N.C. the surf fishermen do it all the time but they need to buy a permit...........Bob

6 hours ago, Xander Wildeisen said:

Risque swimsuits. 

NOT!.................Bob

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

WOW, every time I see the photograph, my mind just starts to wander.

Does anybody know how we can magnify the view as to see better details? 

intimeold  

Would that 57 possibly be your family ride?  

You can still drive the beach At New Smyrna south of Daytona I believe. 

Dave S 

4 hours ago, intimeold said:

Does anybody know how we can magnify the view as to see better details? 

With Windows,

1. Click on the image. It should open in a popup, larger.

2. Right click on the image in the popup. Select Copy Image.

3. Switch to your favourite photo viewing software. I use Irfanview, which is excellent and free.

4. Paste the image.

5. Enlarge it on your screen to view.

You may also be able to enlarge it in your browser.

1. I clicked on it. The popup opened.
  2. I clicked on it again. The popup went away.
  3. I clicked on it again. The popup opened.
  4. Now move your cursor into the middle of the popup and you might see a little white dot with a wee black + in the middle.
  5. Left Click on it again. It will open the image in a new tab or browser instance, depending on your settings.
  6. Now you can enlarge it - Ctrl-+ or Ctrl-RollUp the mouse wheel.
Edited by Spinneyhill (see edit history)
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Doug Novak said:

Yes you can, I drove on it a few years ago (with a rented car). The sand is really packed down there, On Long Island the few four wheel drive access beaches you still have to "air down" your tires to get through it, in four wheel drive

4 hours ago, SC38DLS said:

Would that 57 possibly be your family ride?  

You can still drive the beach At New Smyrna south of Daytona I believe. 

Dave S 

Yes, and you can still drive on the beach at Daytona (Beach).  While I have no recent personal experience, I believe that one can still drive on Ormond Beach, which is just north of Daytona Beach.  Beach drives are what rentals are for ... I wouldn't drive one of my own cars on the beach sands because of the corrosion caused by the salt.  When I was a kid (7-8 years  old), I remember people washing their cars in the salt water surf of Daytona Beach.  Of course, many of them forgot about the rising tide and had to have their cars towed from  the surf.  I'll bet that those cars were nothing but trouble after their salt water dunk.

Cheers,

Grog

BeachBuick.thumb.jpg.d83d4c20dab2bb1a9d3f4d2dbc5add41.jpgyes,  you still can drive and park on the beach "down there".  But, it;s no longer free,  Last time I was there, it cost $5.00.

Edited by Paul Dobbin (see edit history)

23 hours ago, victorialynn2 said:

What do you see?

6214FB3A-40BA-434E-AC50-0339B23B9B36.jpeg

What do I see?

This reminds me of a funny incident from several years ago. I was at my cousin's house and her husband was a HUGE Milwaukee baseball fan. On the wall he had an enlarged photo from 1957 of the stadium where the Milwaukee Braves won the '57 World Series. All I could see in the picture, though, were the thousands of old cars in the parking lot. I said, "Wow! Look at all the old cars." I kind of thought that was the intent. He looked at me like I was warped.

There have been several comments on the '57 Ford. Tri-five Chevy owners never like to be reminded that the '57 Ford outsold the (now) iconic '57 Chevy. Why wouldn't it? The '57 Chevy was an impressive visual rehash of the two previous years, but the '57 Ford was all new, and lower and sleeker than the Chevy. And they had the retractable top Skyliner, which sort of enhanced the entire Ford full size line. Retractable tops, as problematic as they were, made the Chevy seem less modern by comparison.

Edited by JamesR (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I see a band shell at upper left where many of the top rock groups performed back in the day. At night, right there on the ocean, it was pure magic. I lived in Daytona from late 1975 until early 1979. Happy daze indeed.

Edited by knee-action
spelling (see edit history)

Notice two of the three babes are checking out the dude on the bike.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Curti said:

Notice two of the three babes are checking out the dude on the bike.  

The one in blue thinks he's a creep.