Daytona 1957

victorialynn2

Looks like the guy on the motorcycle is checking out the brand new 57 Ford.  I can’t see any other 57 models in the photo but it appears the car on the other side of the bike is a 56 Merc. Or maybe the guy on the bike doesn’t notice the new Ford for what’s on the other side of it!

Edited by Modeleh (see edit history)
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Doug Novak said:

Can you still park on the sand down there?  East Coast Beaches' the sand isn't firm enough.

When I was in the Navy I drove my '68 Javelin out on the sandy beach in Pensacola Fla. and was amazed that I had no problem with traction. 

Not sure but you can on some Oregon beaches. 

2 hours ago, Doug Novak said:

Can you still park on the sand down there?  East Coast Beaches' the sand isn't firm enough.

When I was in the Navy I drove my '68 Javelin out on the sandy beach in Pensacola Fla. and was amazed that I had no problem with traction. 

Emerald Isle N.C. the surf fishermen do it all the time but they need to buy a permit...........Bob

4 hours ago, intimeold said:

Does anybody know how we can magnify the view as to see better details? 

With Windows,

1. Click on the image. It should open in a popup, larger.

2. Right click on the image in the popup. Select Copy Image.

3. Switch to your favourite photo viewing software. I use Irfanview, which is excellent and free.

4. Paste the image.

5. Enlarge it on your screen to view.

You may also be able to enlarge it in your browser.

1. I clicked on it. The popup opened.
  2. I clicked on it again. The popup went away.
  3. I clicked on it again. The popup opened.
  4. Now move your cursor into the middle of the popup and you might see a little white dot with a wee black + in the middle.
  5. Left Click on it again. It will open the image in a new tab or browser instance, depending on your settings.
  6. Now you can enlarge it - Ctrl-+ or Ctrl-RollUp the mouse wheel.
Edited by Spinneyhill (see edit history)
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Doug Novak said:

Yes you can, I drove on it a few years ago (with a rented car). The sand is really packed down there, On Long Island the few four wheel drive access beaches you still have to "air down" your tires to get through it, in four wheel drive

4 hours ago, SC38DLS said:

Would that 57 possibly be your family ride?  

You can still drive the beach At New Smyrna south of Daytona I believe. 

Dave S 

Yes, and you can still drive on the beach at Daytona (Beach).  While I have no recent personal experience, I believe that one can still drive on Ormond Beach, which is just north of Daytona Beach.  Beach drives are what rentals are for ... I wouldn't drive one of my own cars on the beach sands because of the corrosion caused by the salt.  When I was a kid (7-8 years  old), I remember people washing their cars in the salt water surf of Daytona Beach.  Of course, many of them forgot about the rising tide and had to have their cars towed from  the surf.  I'll bet that those cars were nothing but trouble after their salt water dunk.

Cheers,

Grog

23 hours ago, victorialynn2 said:

What do you see?

6214FB3A-40BA-434E-AC50-0339B23B9B36.jpeg

What do I see?

This reminds me of a funny incident from several years ago. I was at my cousin's house and her husband was a HUGE Milwaukee baseball fan. On the wall he had an enlarged photo from 1957 of the stadium where the Milwaukee Braves won the '57 World Series. All I could see in the picture, though, were the thousands of old cars in the parking lot. I said, "Wow! Look at all the old cars." I kind of thought that was the intent. He looked at me like I was warped.

There have been several comments on the '57 Ford. Tri-five Chevy owners never like to be reminded that the '57 Ford outsold the (now) iconic '57 Chevy. Why wouldn't it? The '57 Chevy was an impressive visual rehash of the two previous years, but the '57 Ford was all new, and lower and sleeker than the Chevy. And they had the retractable top Skyliner, which sort of enhanced the entire Ford full size line. Retractable tops, as problematic as they were, made the Chevy seem less modern by comparison.

Edited by JamesR (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I just remembered that a late friend of mine told me (about 15 years ago) that he met Phillip Vincent (of Black Shadow fame) at Daytona beach back in the 1950's. Might've been '57, in fact, because I believe it was after Vincent went out of business. My friend had a Rapide at the time, as I recall, so he was excited to see a red Black Shadow at the beach, and went up to talk to the owner. Turned out to be Mr. Vincent, or so he claimed.

On 11/28/2018 at 7:46 AM, JamesR said:

What do I see?

This reminds me of a funny incident from several years ago. I was at my cousin's house and her husband was a HUGE Milwaukee baseball fan. On the wall he had an enlarged photo from 1957 of the stadium where the Milwaukee Braves won the '57 World Series. All I could see in the picture, though, were the thousands of old cars in the parking lot. I said, "Wow! Look at all the old cars." I kind of thought that was the intent. He looked at me like I was warped.

There have been several comments on the '57 Ford. Tri-five Chevy owners never like to be reminded that the '57 Ford outsold the (now) iconic '57 Chevy. Why wouldn't it? The '57 Chevy was an impressive visual rehash of the two previous years, but the '57 Ford was all new, and lower and sleeker than the Chevy. And they had the retractable top Skyliner, which sort of enhanced the entire Ford full size line. Retractable tops, as problematic as they were, made the Chevy seem less modern by comparison.

This is why I noticed the ‘57. This is my father’s car that I still have. Lots of the guys here know about the car. :

1D8D9966-43E1-436C-8851-D7044AF0B590.jpeg

• Like 1

On 12/5/2018 at 9:13 PM, victorialynn2 said:

This is why I noticed the ‘57. This is my father’s car that I still have. Lots of the guys here know about the car. :

1D8D9966-43E1-436C-8851-D7044AF0B590.jpeg

Very nice car! Thanks for posting the picture.

Many people see the old cars owned, preserved and cherished by their Dads and Moms as little more than a financial inheritance to be liquidated. God bless the kids who also cherish and keep their parents' old cars. I happened to mention my old car interest to a lady who works where I volunteer, and she said that she still has her Dad's 1962 Corvette. That car, which looks from the pictures to be in very good shape, could probably fetch a real high price, but she and her brother have elected to keep it. I thought, how awesome!

• Like 2

I was last there in 2008. My brother had just bought a new Honda CR-V that we were driving. He decided to take it out on the sand, and was embarrassed when his brand new car got stuck and needed help getting pulled out. His next CR-V a few years later was an AWD model. 

Normally, any car which becomes stuck in the sand can easily retreat along the path from whence it came by significantly airing the tires down. Have done it many times going in at highway pressures, coming out at around 20 psi. Drive very slowly when back on pavement until reaching an air source.   -   Carl 

On 12/11/2018 at 11:59 AM, JamesR said:

Very nice car! Thanks for posting the picture.

Many people see the old cars owned, preserved and cherished by their Dads and Moms as little more than a financial inheritance to be liquidated. God bless the kids who also cherish and keep their parents' old cars. I happened to mention my old car interest to a lady who works where I volunteer, and she said that she still has her Dad's 1962 Corvette. That car, which looks from the pictures to be in very good shape, could probably fetch a real high price, but she and her brother have elected to keep it. I thought, how awesome!

Although I am not well to do, the value of the car means nothing to me. In fact, I lost more of my money than his cars where worth, to take the time off work and find them good homes. This was his favorite, so I’ve been getting work done on it to keep it in good working order. I feel like it’s my duty to preserve it to his standards. I can’t bear the thought of selling it, and even pay to store it since I had to relocate to go back to work. I am trying to enjoy it, but it mostly comes out just to maintain it. Rarely I take it for a cruise. My father is still alive, and it’s a bittersweet reminder of his condition. 

I adore the car because of his affection for it. I have always shared his enjoyment of classic cars. 

• Like 2

On 12/15/2018 at 4:39 PM, victorialynn2 said:

Although I am not well to do, the value of the car means nothing to me. In fact, I lost more of my money than his cars where worth, to take the time off work and find them good homes. This was his favorite, so I’ve been getting work done on it to keep it in good working order. I feel like it’s my duty to preserve it to his standards. I can’t bear the thought of selling it, and even pay to store it since I had to relocate to go back to work. I am trying to enjoy it, but it mostly comes out just to maintain it. Rarely I take it for a cruise. My father is still alive, and it’s a bittersweet reminder of his condition. 

I adore the car because of his affection for it. I have always shared his enjoyment of classic cars. 

Yes, finding good homes for cars is very important, too. It usually isn't possible to for kids keep and maintain a collection. Finding a keeper in the collection to hang on to is great, though.

• Like 1