just finishing up my 1915 shell gas station

Marathon Man

10 hours ago, Marathon Man said:

just finished up my 1915 pre-fab  gas station  with pre-visable  Gilbert & Barker gas pumps . Also working on a 1913 standard gas station with island  pump cover

Nice Job!  Makes me want to bring my 13 & 15 Buicks for a photo...  Is this in Nashville?

What a great project, I'll bet all your pre 1915 friends want to take pictures of their cars with your station. I just finished a 1925 era National Simplex, hand crank. When I started the restoration, I had no idea that my cylinder was brass, as yours are. Mine is covered by the "tins" so I didn't polish it as yours are. What are you using for your hose and where did you purchase it, if I may ask? I am using a white hose, that's ok, but I would like something that was correct in 1925.

6 hours ago, 46 woodie said:

What a great project, I'll bet all your pre 1915 friends want to take pictures of their cars with your station. I just finished a 1925 era National Simplex, hand crank. When I started the restoration, I had no idea that my cylinder was brass, as yours are. Mine is covered by the "tins" so I didn't polish it as yours are. What are you using for your hose and where did you purchase it, if I may ask? I am using a white hose, that's ok, but I would like something that was correct in 1925.

11 hours ago, Frantz said:

Very cool! Is this at  your personal property or did you do it for a museum or something? I can't quite read the golf cart.

yes , I own a old car factory and did them in the parking lots .also restored over 100 antique machines hooked for 250 ft lineshaft  belted to the machines 28 gas pumps most are all pre-1914  in last two years . (marathon village .com)

Edited by Marathon Man (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Eight Shell-shaped gas stations were originally built in Winston-Salem, North Carolina in the late 1930's by Shell distributor Quality Oil Company.  The one remaining station survived through the 1980's before it fell into disrepair.  It was restored in the late 1990's by a state historic society, Preservation North Carolina.

11 hours ago, Marathon Man said:

yes , I own a old car factory and did them in the parking lots .also restored over 100 antique machines hooked for 250 ft lineshaft  belted to the machines 28 gas pumps most are all pre-1914  in last two years . (marathon village .com)

I love it! We'll try to get down there at some point!

Very cool construction. Hope it inspires others to do the same. As a child in the mid-1960s I spent many hours at my great Uncles' Sinclair Gas Station in Greenville SC. It was one of those 1930s gas stations with the 2-bay garage and a small office. The station had four gas pumps and a green dinosaur. Sadly, that gem was torn down in the 1970s to make room for some bland office building.