Troubleshooting 1977 Chevy Monte Carlo

Joseph old school Taylor

Yes, but the first thing that comes to mind (especially in a car that has been sitting) is dirty cables and connections. 

The metal on the battery post and the metal inside the cable should be bright and shinny. If it has a dull gray color scrape it with a knife/wire brush until both surfaces are clean. 

If it has replacement clamp on type battery terminal ends, these too must be disassembled and brushed until clean and shinny. (or replaced) 

The positive cable goes down to the starter and (if sitting) it too might have corrosion that needs cleaning. 

Start cleaning first. 

Edited by m-mman (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On ‎11‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 6:27 PM, Joseph old school Taylor said:

Question: I have a 1977 Chevy Monte Carlo that has been ssitying for 2 years. I put a new battery and starter on it and it does nothing. No lights or anything. I was told that the wire to the starter had a fusible link on it. Is this true? I need hhel.p..

I would first check to make sure all of the fuse's are good:) Then I would follow the wire's going to or near the altinator. There is a large white connector, make sure there is power on both sides of these connectors. Always test the test light on the battery to make sure it is working. Also check the body ground to make sure the test light lights up at the body ground. The body ground might have to be cleaned.  The connections you checked may have to bee cleaned or repaired at the white connector. Then" Yes" go right to the fusible link. There is a red wire that comes out of black rubber grommet down below the main harness. This wire is routed up to a harness near the master cylinder. The fusible link is right there in sight. Check both sides, if only one side has power, the link is burned up. What I did was cut it out and then install a simple in line fuse the same amperage as the 20 amp fuse in the fuse box. When I took that 20 amp fuse out of the fuse box I found the area partially melted from high amperage. " Bad starter "  So the battery and the starter have been replaced. I think you will be fine. I have been working on my 77 Monte for over 32 years :)