32 90 Buick 344 Timing cam with crank???

CTCV

The crank gear has several marks. M2 is stamped near what may be a small "0". Opposite those marks are what seems to be a " + " sign and a " - " sign with seven teeth between them. The new cam gear has " 0".

Can anyone provide info on what marks are used and how they are aligned. Aligning the two "0"s together seems to put me 180 degrees out.

20181126_124431-1.jpg

20181126_124500-1.jpg

180 degrees out ?

If you rotate the crankshaft one full turn it should look right as the cam will only turn 180 degrees.

Not familiar with this engine but pretty much all the engines I have built use those small o's for the cam to crank alignment.

When I say 180 degrees out I mean the valves are in position for power stroke but the piston is at the bottom of the cylinder. That is with using the two "0"s. 

Turns out the plus sign and minus sign may not be sign at all. I noticed the mark I thought was a minus sign was about 180 opposite the "0" mark. Using the line on the crank and the "0" on the cam gear it seems to be close. I agree Jack M that has been my experience too. I guess I will need to get out dial indicators and a degree wheel.

OK folks, I post this just in the event it may help someone else down the road. Although there appears to be a small "0" on the crank the true timing mark is the straight line that I thought was a minus sign. I guess I was over thinking the plus and minus thing. Turns out Tom H. sent me an image of a new crank gear and all I needed to do was count the teeth from the keyway to the "0" timing mark on the new gear. 9 teeth. And 9 teeth to my line mark. So for some reason my original crank gear did not use a "0" for the timing mark. I did not mention Tom's last name as I did not clear it with him to do so. Thanks to him........problem solved.

• Like 1