Modern fuel gauge for 6 volt system

stvaughn

Here is a reproduction for you. I hope you are sitting down.

http://www.mykmlifestyle.com/King_Seeley_Fuel_Sender.html

The problem you have is not the voltage, it is the resistance. The sender is 240-33, but it sounds like the gauge is expecting a different resistance range from the sender.

Edited by Spinneyhill (see edit history)

FYI - KM Lifestyle, strange name but they do excellent work. They restored the sender on my 29 Cad (old frozen pot metal) and it came back beautiful. 

Certainly not cheap, but they do quality work. Quick turnaround. 

• Like 1

On 11/26/2018 at 2:42 PM, Spinneyhill said:

The problem you have is not the voltage, it is the resistance. The sender is 240-33, but it sounds like the gauge is expecting a different resistance range from the sender.

Spinneyhill, The problem actually is the voltage. The gauge works correctly on 12 volts. I have located a company that is going to custom build me a 6 volt negative ground gauge accurately calibrated to my sending unit. The only 6 volt gauges I have been able to find are positive ground, and/or have the wrong resistance rating, and are cheaply made. 

17 minutes ago, stvaughn said:

Spinneyhill, The problem actually is the voltage. The gauge works correctly on 12 volts. I have located a company that is going to custom build me a 6 volt negative ground gauge accurately calibrated to my sending unit. The only 6 volt gauges I have been able to find are positive ground, and/or have the wrong resistance rating, and are cheaply made. 

The real problem is that you have the wrong gauge AND sender.  Step A, select a 6 volt gauge.  Step B, select a sender that matches the gauge.  There is no other option.

The 48 Jeepster that I am fooling around with right now is 6 volt negative ground.

You can buy a sender and/or a gauge from several Willies and/or Kaiser suppliers.

I needed a sender, its a simple one wire system just like later model stuff.

I suspect that other early Jeep products are the same.

I had a hydrostatic gasoline guage on the 1932 Rolls Royce Phantom I and while people can work with them and  get them going, I have been there  on the 1930 Franklin and just not how I prefer to spend my time.  I believe I bought a 6V matched gauge and sending unit from this tractor supply company - it worked fabulous (installed it in the blove box and ....) !  https://antique-tractor-parts.steinertractor.com/tractor/6v-Fuel-Gauge

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)