Mark Gregory

GM Oshawa Plant in Canada to Close

Recommended Posts

So I guess this statement does not apply anymore ? ?

 

What's good for the country is good for General Motors, and vice versa. A statement made by Charles E. Wilson while president of the General MotorsCorporation, a leading United States automobile manufacturer. Wilson later became secretary of the federal Department of Defense.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pretty much exactly the same we went through here with Mitsubishi, Ford, Holden and Toyota all stopping local manufacturing here in the last 20 years. Shame because the last generation of cars was actually good

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Michigan . I think  I have three car from here.

 

They need to do what ford did.  The redo of the ford gt 40.

 

Chrysler prowler - is another car..

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

it's deja vu all over again for me. here in delaware we lost both GM and Chrysler plants. that was 15 years ago. there are less than 600,000 people in the state of delaware, so yeah, we felt it a little bit. as of today, both plants are still empty. another good point raised was that the chrysler was a main producer of tanks during world war 2. i guess if another conflict breaks out, we can buy them from china or mexico. why is it a nation that loves cars so much is so stupid about where we get them from?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can understand GM and others increasing EV production. All the various gov's involved are pushing the concept. But justifying the shutdown so GM can concentrate on autonomous vehicles seems a bit of a stretch. The technology is still in its early stages and it will most likely be a number of years until it is a practical reality.

Also the excuse that masses of people are forgoing car ownership in favor of Uber etc. seems to be only a half truth. Are Uber cars produced in an Uber only production plant hidden in the depths of the Black forest ? All those newly minted Uber drivers need to get a car somewhere. Is there a rule against using a GM car if you are an Uber driver ?

 

Greg in Canada

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/26/2018 at 4:30 PM, plymouthcranbrook said:

As an example non automotive related i have an older toilet paper holder in my bathroom. When I put a  roll of paper on it the the new roll is about an inch narrower that the ones the holder was made for. The new `1=4 rolls they sell now are about the size we got for regular 30 years ago

 

Yep,and our butts are getting bigger too !

Edited by J.H.Boland (see edit history)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with everyones comments about importing cars and saving jobs . Here is part of an article about Electric cars . If I understand this GM wants a regulation enforcing Electric cars .

 


And even if GM no longer plans to build gas-guzzling automobiles in Oshawa, there's a decent chance that the company's shift towards electric vehicles will eventually receive government support. General Motors is calling for a U.S. rule that would mandate 25 per cent of all new vehicles be green by 2030.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The glaring contradiction in all of this is that GM themselves says the public wants light trucks and SUV's . Regardless of how fuel efficient, gas guzzlers in anyone's books. EV light trucks are probably even further away from being a practical reality. At least ones that are intended for real work, trailer  towing etc. and not just really  tall , heavy replacements for family sedans. Battery's are definitely improving however I don't think we are quite there yet.

  Greg in Canada

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mark Gregory said:

I agree with everyones comments about importing cars and saving jobs . Here is part of an article about Electric cars . If I understand this GM wants a regulation enforcing Electric cars .

 


And even if GM no longer plans to build gas-guzzling automobiles in Oshawa, there's a decent chance that the company's shift towards electric vehicles will eventually receive government support. General Motors is calling for a U.S. rule that would mandate 25 per cent of all new vehicles be green by 2030.

Well, that leaves electric cars out. Electric cars are not Green.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yup, the herd is thundering towards EV and autonomous. Big money being spent lobbying for same. GM says they are interested in folks who can code not those who can design or engineer. Wonder what the Hershey show or flea market field will look like in 25 years. Will anyone care?.........Bob

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

image.jpeg.33b1ecabdbca3d7ffa5f374fa6b62156.jpeg

 

This is the shape of things to come. I've seen a couple of them around town recently. They do not need a long hood because they don't have a V-12 under it. It's a Chevy bolt EV.

 

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's all about fuel efficiency, the EPA cancelled the CAFE standards which had been in place for decades,  Before this decision manufacturers had to produce fuel sipping sedans so they could sell SUVs and trucks and still maintain a Federally mandated fuel efficiency average.  No CAFE, no regulations, here you go, how do you like it now?

 

Honda, Toyota and Volkswagen are open for business and will merrily sell the consumer any hot hatchback, wagon or sedan any citizen could possibly desire.  BMW, Alfa Romeo or Mercedes if you want more punch from your wheels and do not care about the gas.  

 

Regards, Gary

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I cant believe nobody at the American auto makers ever stopped to think about what happens when gas is $5 a gallon again......

 

Oh thats right its America. Dont worry gas will always be nice and cheap. Keep selling the big trucks. Who needs to sell to a global marketplace when your in a global marketplace right?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/26/2018 at 4:30 PM, plymouthcranbrook said:

As an example non automotive related i have an older toilet paper holder in my bathroom. When I put a  roll of paper on it the the new roll is about an inch narrower that the ones the holder was made for. The new `1=4 rolls they sell now are about the size we got for regular 30 years ago

There's a joke in there somewhere, but I'm not about to touch it. :)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't kid yourselves the overseas manufacturers of smaller cars are feeling the pinch too, as Americans show their proclivity towards larger trucks. The difference is that the American buyers have simply askewed some fine US made, or designed sedans in favor of almost anything else. Take a look at the smaller cars parked in any parking lot, anywhere except where the US car manufacturers have a production plant. Ford and now GM are jettisoning some fine automobiles that should have been competitive, but too few Americans found favor with their offerings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, cheezestaak2000 said:

it's deja vu all over again for me. here in delaware we lost both GM and Chrysler plants. that was 15 years ago. there are less than 600,000 people in the state of delaware, so yeah, we felt it a little bit. as of today, both plants are still empty. another good point raised was that the chrysler was a main producer of tanks during world war 2. i guess if another conflict breaks out, we can buy them from china or mexico. why is it a nation that loves cars so much is so stupid about where we get them from?

 

I am not sure we are a Nation that loves cars anymore. Phones yes, cars maybe.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In the not to distant future barn finds will be headed for the recycle yards. The big thing will be drawer finds when someone comes across a rare  highly collectable mint in box cell phone. 

Edited by Joe in Canada (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No one talks about this car any more..

 

Toyota Prius

 

 

I noticed GM is selling car with a 4-Cylinder

 

2019 Silverado Pickup Will Get A 4-Cylinder Turbo .

 

The 2016 Chevrolet Camaro RS features a turbocharged four-cylinder engine.

I think the car sell for only 24k.  why spend 35K a plug in car..

 

The car looks just like the V-8 car..

 

 

 

 

Edited by nick8086 (see edit history)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

image.png.d2ba239464b10623cb99ffa86755ef5f.png   The versa from the mid 2000s.............................................!

 

got 33 mpg and they lasted to at least 225k

 

what more could you ask for  13k??????????????

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No one talks about this car any more..

 

Toyota Prius

 

at 35k, see my above thread................................

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mercer09 said:

image.png.d2ba239464b10623cb99ffa86755ef5f.png   The versa from the mid 2000s.............................................!

 

got 33 mpg and they lasted to at least 225k

 

what more could you ask for  13k??????????????

 

Isn't that a Korean-sourced Sonic or a Spark?   Versa is a Renault-based product from Nissan.

 

Craig

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...