Bench testing a 90-91 cluster?

kriswinner

I have 2 untested 90/91 clusters.  Is there a way for me to bench test these clusters (short of installing them)?

I have a cluster plug, and I can supply 12V and ground to the appropriate pins.

Just curious if this is something that can be done on a bench or if communication to the BCM would be required.

Also...is total mileage stored on the cluster itself or is it sent to the cluster for display?

Thanks!

Thanks, @harry yarnell.  I'll pull my existing cluster out and test them.

One last follow up (...and I think I know the answer):  If one of the clusters is faulty for whatever reason (error code, no display, etc.), they are still worth keeping, correct?

With my history owning Fieros, there's a certain amount of hording that is associated with the hobby, so I imagine this is no different.

As the IPCs for Reattas and Rivs are no longer made you should keep them. I used to send my non working electrical items to kdirk [who has disappeared of late] so just keep them. There are places that rebuild them but I haven't pursued that as yet as I can still find used ones at the local You Pick on occasion.

• Like 1

Years ago I made a test setup for testing '90 and up IPC. I wired in a BCM, central power supply and everything else the shop manual schematics called for. ( I also have an electronics background ) I must have missed something as I could never get it to work.

It was really a waste of time anyway. These IPCs very often are intermittent and needed to be tested for at least a month in your regular car to make sure they are not going to go out even for a few minutes.

I used to take exchanges and have about 25 non working '90 IPCs on the shelf so If anyone needs one to be sent in for repair while keeping their original I can provide one for $ 15.

At this time I do not have any extra good working IPCs.

Jim