1949 Buick Road Master model 70 starter issue?

Brooklyn Beer

20 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Say again.

Had a computer hiccup when posting  I meant to say

Yep, 6 volt coil in BIG letters and numbers.  Some oil seepage you would not see unless it was out of the car or you ran your hands around it as well .  Don't see a bypass around the ballast resistor going to the coil for the voltage drop during cranking. Wonder how much voltage was leaving that 6 volt coil. What does 12 volts going into it cause it to do?

Maybe your coil is the problem if it's leaking. Since  your car has been changed to 12 volts I thought you might could have a 12 volt coil that needed a bypass circuit for the ballast resistor when you were starting the car. I don't really know since your car seems to be a mixture of 6 and 12 volt parts.

1 minute ago, Ronnie said:

Maybe your coil is the problem if it's leaking. Since  your car has been changed to 12 volts I thought you might could have a 12 volt coil that needed a bypass circuit for the ballast resistor when you were starting the car. I don't really know since your car seems to be a mixture of 6 and 12 volt parts.

I don't know what happens when you run 12 volts into a 6 volt coil but would suspect problems for sure. From what I read the bypass is just a simple lead off the starter S switch to the leaving side of the ballast resistor or directly to the coil correct?  Just a limited shot of full voltage during start up that isn't needed once running and is done away with when starter is no longer engaged. So will get a new coil tomorrow and go from there.

The bypass circuit actually increases the voltage to 12 volts going to the coil when the engine is cranking and then the voltage drops to 6 volts through the ballast resistor when the engine is running. Read paragraph (2) in '57 Buick Ignition Description I posted earlier carefully. It explains in detail how the ballast bypass circuit works. I doubt your car had a bypass circuit with the 6 volt system.

9 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

The bypass circuit actually increases the voltage to 12 volts going to the coil when the engine is cranking and then the voltage drops to 6 volts through the ballast resistor when the engine is running. Read paragraph (2) in '57 Buick Ignition Description I posted earlier carefully. It explains in detail how the ballast bypass circuit works. I doubt your car had a bypass circuit with the 6 volt system.

Yes, I don't see it ever had one but should I add one now?  I don't have a separate contact as described to go off to make a bypass. Would not a lead from the S switch work in the same manner?  The bypass would only get power if the starter were to be engaged.

buick coil.jpg

Edited by Brooklyn Beer (see edit history)

7 minutes ago, Brooklyn Beer said:

Would not a lead from the S switch work in the same manner?  The bypass would only get power if the starter were to be engaged. 

I assume you mean after you have installed the push button for the starter? If so I think that would work as a bypass but I'm not sure if you should feed the 6 volt coil like came on  your car with 12 volts for starting or not since it says "No resistor required." If you are going to use a bypass circuit maybe a coil for a '57 Buick would be more appropriate?? I just don't know. Maybe someone who has converted from 6 to 12 volts will know.

9 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

I assume you mean after you have installed the push button for the starter? If so I think that would work as a bypass but I'm not sure if you should feed the 6 volt coil like came on  your car with 12 volts for starting or not since it says "No resistor required." If you are going to use a bypass circuit maybe a coil for a '57 Buick would be more appropriate?? I just don't know. Maybe someone who has converted from 6 to 12 volts will know.

I am going to install a 12 volt coil unless this will fry the internals of the distributor.  But I did come across this in my research and maybe someone can tell me if correct   "

NEXT some coils are labeled "12 volts for use with an external ballast resistor" and if so they are in reality a 6 volts coil in which case an external voltage dropping (12 to 6) ballast resistor is required or else the coil overheats and the points burn up quickly. A true full 12 volt rated coil (some call internally ballasted) is labeled 12 volts or else 12 volts NO ballast required,,,"

9 hours ago, Brooklyn Beer said:

So if I understanding this correctly. Getting a "no resistor needed" coil (internally resisted) means no bypass would be needed to get 12 volts to the coil ?  I am game for this. 

If your starter has a terminal for a bypass, why not use one? It is a technically superior system because it can maintain a hot spark while cranking, even if the battery is a little low. The possibility of a bypass is really the only practical advantage of a 12v system over 6v. Generally speaking you cant have a bypass on 6V because there are no suitable coils available.

Hookup is simple. Assuming a negative ground car,

1) ignition switch >> ballast resistor >> (+) terminal on coil

2) starter bypass terminal on starter or solenoid >> (+) terminal on coil

3) (-) terminal on coil >> distributor (points and condenser)

If you have no starter bypass terminal, or just choose to run without, the Bosch "Blue Coil" works very well in 12v systems that do not have a bypass.  Ask at a parts store that caters to Volkswagens.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)

Looks like a pertronix knock off. Can't comment on the quality but it should do the same as a pertronix. If your system isn't 100% bulletproof (aka stable, constant correct voltage), the module may fry. It's best to iron out a points based ignition system first then try the electronic ignition. 

• Like 2

Brooklyn, where are you located?

Beemon is correct, lets get this sorted before changing things.  Assuming YOU are doing the work.   Just checked and all parts stores have the 12 volt internal resisted coils in stock. Probably farm implement stores as well. Prices from $20 to $40.   On line stores a little cheaper.

Bloo did a pretty good description, but I want you to do it this way, TAKING OUT OF SERVICE ANY "old" WIRING!  

Unhook both wires at the carburetor switch at the carburetor.

With a test light in hand, turn the ignition switch on. Check the wires. One should light up the test light, one should not.  Tape off the end of the one that does not. TURN THE IGNITION SWITCH OFF until the rest of the wiring is complete.

Go to a parts store and ask for a coil that is internal resisted, 12 volt.  Ask for a push button switch. 

Connect the hot wire, the one that lit the test light, to one terminal of the push button. From the same terminal, connect a wire to the + terminal of the new coil.  Tape of the current wire going to the + terminal. Connect the distributor wire that was connected to the - terminal of the old coil to the - on the new coil.

Connect a wire from the other terminal of the push button to the s terminal on  the starter.

Go ahead and remove both connections at the present ballast resistor and tape them.

All of this can be done temporally beneath the hood, being careful to keep any wire away from the hot manifold and the cooling fan.

Now start the car!

Let us know.

Ben

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

Brooklyn, where are you located?

Beemon is correct, lets get this sorted before changing things.  Assuming YOU are doing the work.   Just checked and all parts stores have the 12 volt internal resisted coils in stock. Probably farm implement stores as well. Prices from $20 to $40.   On line stores a little cheaper.

Bloo did a pretty good description, but I want you to do it this way, TAKING OUT OF SERVICE ANY "old" WIRING!  

Unhook both wires at the carburetor switch at the carburetor.

With a test light in hand, turn the ignition switch on. Check the wires. One should light up the test light, one should not.  Tape off the end of the one that does not. TURN THE IGNITION SWITCH OFF until the rest of the wiring is complete.

Go to a parts store and ask for a coil that is internal resisted, 12 volt.  Ask for a push button switch. 

Connect the hot wire, the one that lit the test light, to one terminal of the push button. From the same terminal, connect a wire to the + terminal of the new coil.  Tape of the current wire going to the + terminal. Connect the distributor wire that was connected to the - terminal of the old coil to the - on the new coil.

Connect a wire from the other terminal of the push button to the s terminal on  the starter.

Go ahead and remove both connections at the present ballast resistor and tape them.

All of this can be done temporally beneath the hood, being careful to keep any wire away from the hot manifold and the cooling fan.

Now start the car!

Let us know.

Ben

Got it.  Won't be able to get back to it until maybe friday evening with the holiday rush schedule at work.  I live about 25 miles NW of Fort Worth in the middle of nothing.

2 minutes ago, Brooklyn Beer said:

Got it.  Won't be able to get back to it until maybe friday evening with the holiday rush schedule at work.  I live about 25 miles NW of Fort Worth in the middle of nothing.

Middle of nothing? never heard of that town!:D.  I am about 100 north of you, then.

Ben

OK. Ran test lead from hot side of carb switch, through test switch, and down to test lead onto S switch and starter. After a few tries it coughed, sputtered and fired up (if hesitantly   Waited a minute and did same and it fired up on 2nd turn. It "idled" for about 10 seconds and quit. Rough and stumbling.  Waited a minute and cranked again,.. and again fired on second turn and "idled" for over a minute before I shut it off as it was not clearing up. We are at the spot of where it was before the starter died. Exactly the same rough idle and it will not take any fuel in any way above this very rough idle. You give it a little throttle it wants to stall. But it does start nicely again.  Going to go out and pull a plug to see if it is fouled again from getting it started.  Plugs are new.  Coil is new. Cap and rotor look clean and good and relatively new. Wires look new and clean. I had checked points and they are clean. Condenser looks fresh like everything else under the cap. Removed the ballast resistor when I installed 12 volt internally resisted coil.   So really stumbling idle and won't take any throttle without wanting to stall. It was running rich at start up when I got the car and at idle from cold start would produce soot like nobodies business to the point the floor is stained black from the tail pipe. After warm up it would stop.

nope.  Starter functions fine.  The car is is at the point where it was before the starter issue arose. Rough idle, stumbling and barely idles, fouling plugs, won't take any throttle as it wants to stall and miss.  I do have a spare condenser but the other one looks almost new.  I was driving along, it started to miss and stumble, getting worse as I nursed it home the last 1/2 mile and now am at this point.

Keep looking at the the ignition.  Sudden performance issue are almost always ignition related, while slowly developing issues might be fuel system related.  About the only carb problem that might be sudden is the float or float valve which might either be starvation from no fuel or flooding which in this case would be lots of fuel spilling inside and outside the carb.

4 hours ago, old-tank said:

Keep looking at the the ignition.  Sudden performance issue are almost always ignition related, while slowly developing issues might be fuel system related.  About the only carb problem that might be sudden is the float or float valve which might either be starvation from no fuel or flooding which in this case would be lots of fuel spilling inside and outside the carb.

Before I pull the carb off tomorrow for rebuild I am going to change the condenser and check the points one last time. It will start nicely now but won't idle except in a rough manner and wants to stall with added throttle. Just crack it off idle and it bogs down. (If you can call it an idle) Throwing brownish black soot and very rich at start up, fouling plugs. If the condenser doesn't sort it out I don't know where to look besides the carb. It is firing and starting very easy now like it did. Just running terrible and the carb looks to have seen better days honestly. I tightened every screw and such I could find.  Can see where there was some seepage at some time.   And while i thinking about it, best way to remove throttle linkage without screwing it up?

Edited by Brooklyn Beer
added info (see edit history)

20 minutes ago, Brooklyn Beer said:

If the condenser doesn't sort it out I don't know where to look

Here are a few things to check in the distributor. Look closely at how the condenser is connected. I don't know about your distributor but some of the older ones had insulating washers where the condenser connects to keep it from going to ground. When properly connected the condenser body should be grounded but the wire should to the points. if the condenser wire gets connected in a way that the wire goes to ground the condenser is rendered useless.  Also the advance plate the points and condenser are mounted on must be have a good ground. Many old distributors have a ground strap (wire) installed between the  advance plate and the body of the distributor to insure the advance plate has a good ground.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, maok said:

While it maybe a carb issue, listen to old-tank's advice, systematically go through the ignition system. Only 80% of tune issues are electrical.

What is the timing set to?

I have absolutely no idea what the timing is but it has not been changed since it was running fine.  I am 3-4 weeks new now to working on this car.

16 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Many old distributors have a ground strap (wire) installed between the  advance plate and the body of the distributor to insure the advance plate has a good ground.

And that is, more often than not, a special wire made to take the constant bending that happens when the vacuum advance moves the breaker plate. Make sure it is intact. If it is broken, theres gonna be trouble.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bloo said:

And that is, more often than not, a special wire made to take the constant bending that happens when the vacuum advance moves the breaker plate. Make sure it is intact. If it is broken, theres gonna be trouble.

Anyone have a picture of what I am looking for ?  This missing issue wasn't instantly BAD but it came on quickly and started building worse and worse (15 minutes of driving) till now it won't function above an terrible idle