New 65 Riviera owner with a question

crowvet

I just bought a 65 Riviera and in the trunk below the right hinge there is a air fitting and a tag saying the vehicle is equipped with air suspension. Was this optional, I see no reference to it anywhere I have looked. Here  is a  picture of the car. 

P1070377.JPG

• Like 1

8 hours ago, crowvet said:

I just bought a 65 Riviera and in the trunk below the right hinge there is a air fitting and a tag saying the vehicle is equipped with air suspension. Was this optional, I see no reference to it anywhere I have looked. Here  is a  picture of the car. 

P1070377.JPG

Welcome. Great looking Riviera! Have you joined the ROA? (www.rivowners.org)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 1965rivgs said:

Hi crowvet,

Yes, this is a dealer installed rear air shock kit. I have seen enough of these installations to say the original kit instructions have been followed by whoever installed your kit. Can you post a couple of pics for confirmation?

Thanks,

Tom

Yes I will grab a couple later

20 minutes ago, RockinRiviDad said:

Welcome. My car started its life with the same color as yours. Nice ride brother

Thank you, The car is all original including the paint... Needs some sprucing up and probably a respray, but everything works and runs and drives amazing.

Cool!

How about adding your first name and some rough location to your forum profile?  You may have Forum Members that live near you.  That can be very helpful.

I travel all over the SE United States. I have been known to go out of my way to go meet up with someone and see a car.  What else have I got to do? 8-)

• Like 2

16 hours ago, RivNut said:

My 63 has a valve in the same place with the same instructions.  However it is not listed on my window sticker so I have always assumed that was a dealer installed option. 

Hi Ed, I’m in the process of installing these now and was going to put the fitting near the bumper. Any chance of a photo showing the location of the fitting? I gather only the valve part goes into the boot. Wonder what the reasoning was for that location?

thanks RODNEY. 😀😀😀😀

50 minutes ago, rodneybeauchamp said:

Hi Ed, I’m in the process of installing these now and was going to put the fitting near the bumper. Any chance of a photo showing the location of the fitting? I gather only the valve part goes into the boot. Wonder what the reasoning was for that location?

thanks RODNEY. 😀😀😀😀

Rodney,  

I'd be more than happy to but - 1)  I'm immobilized with a cast on my foot until the first of the year, and 2) The car is in storage about 60 miles south of me.  

The valve is on top of the wheel arch on the passenger's side in the trunk.  I'm betting that one of these other guys can take a picture of their valve that would show not only the valve but a wide angle picture that would show it's location.

Ed

2 hours ago, rodneybeauchamp said:

Any chance of a photo showing the location of the fitting?

Here's a picture of the fitting in my '67 Riviera.  It's mounted to the right rear inner fender.  The air shocks still work and I'm leaving them in!

IMG_0727.thumb.JPG.09cdca03f7d1e4564df4f

10 hours ago, 1965rivgs said:

Hi crowvet,

Yes, this is a dealer installed rear air shock kit. I have seen enough of these installations to say the original kit instructions have been followed by whoever installed your kit. Can you post a couple of pics for confirmation?

Thanks,

Tom

Here is a picture of where mine is located.... It is in the right trunk hinge pocket.

P1070389.JPG

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Jim Cannon said:

Cool!

How about adding your first name and some rough location to your forum profile?  You may have Forum Members that live near you.  That can be very helpful.

I travel all over the SE United States. I have been known to go out of my way to go meet up with someone and see a car.  What else have I got to do? 8-)

Updated my profile, however I see no place for my first name?

16 minutes ago, crowvet said:

Another question on my car... It has a courtesy light right above the glove box. What controls it? The door? The H/L switch? It is not lighting up

Courtesy lights are located on either side of the  center console and above the glove box.  They turn on when either door is opened, or by using the LIGHT switch  under the dash pad, center of the instrument panel.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RivNut said:

Rodney,  

I'd be more than happy to but - 1)  I'm immobilized with a cast on my foot until the first of the year, and 2) The car is in storage about 60 miles south of me.  

The valve is on top of the wheel arch on the passenger's side in the trunk.  I'm betting that one of these other guys can take a picture of their valve that would show not only the valve but a wide angle picture that would show it's location.

Ed

Heres where mine is.

P1070389.JPG

1 minute ago, psychostang said:

Courtesy lights are located on either side of the  center console and above the glove box.  They turn on when either door is opened, or by using the LIGHT switch  under the dash pad, center of the instrument panel.

Ok cool, must have a bulb out.

1 hour ago, psychostang said:

There are three separate courtesy light circuits.  There are lights in the sail panels, on the sides of the console, above the glove box, and in the back of the console.  One circuit is controlled by the light switch which when turned fully counter clockwise will activate the sail panels.  The light above the glove and console side lights have the switch under the dash.  The light in the back of the console has a built in switch.  All three circuits are tied into the door jamb switches.  All of the switches are on the ground wire side of the switch.  

There are a number of different threads that deal with trouble shooting these light systems.

As I am becoming acquainted with this car I am finding out that I have more than just one question..............  On the clam shell headlights, when turned on they wont open until a minute or so after turning on the headlights. Then they open up fast and smooth. They close immediately when shutting off the lights. I have lubed all the linkage... just the long delay, are they on a timer??

If the internal breaker in the motor has opened due to overheating, when it resets, the motor runs. There are limit switches which open both the opening and closing circuits. If one of the limit switches is not adjusted properly the internal breaker in the motor will open because the motor is running in a "stall" position. Make sure the motor is not drawing current when the headlight covers are in the open or closed position. If it is drawing current disconnect the motor until you become more familiar with the circuit operation or you may burn out your motor.

Tom

Edited by 1965rivgs (see edit history)
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, crowvet said:

As I am becoming acquainted with this car I am finding out that I have more than just one question..............  On the clam shell headlights, when turned on they wont open until a minute or so after turning on the headlights. Then they open up fast and smooth. They close immediately when shutting off the lights. I have lubed all the linkage... just the long delay, are they on a timer??

This is a good place to start a new thread, with a subject line matches the new question.  You may get more replies (but it's going to be hard to get better replies than those from Tom M.)

Buick published a troubleshooting guide for the '65 headlights in the Dealer Service Bulletins.  I know they made a mid-model year change to the wiring, and there are instructions on how to make that change to an earlier car.

I sell the '65 Buick Dealer Service Bulletins on 2 CDs for $12 + $6.50 postage, if you want them.  Lots of good stuff in there.  E-mail me at 63Rivvy (at) gmail (dot) com if you want a set.

1 hour ago, 1965rivgs said:

If the internal breaker in the motor has opened due to overheating, when it resets, the motor runs. There are limit switches which open both the opening and closing circuits. If one of the limit switches is not adjusted properly the internal breaker in the motor will open because the motor is running in a "stall" position. Make sure the motor is not drawing current when the headlight covers are in the open or closed position. If it is drawing current disconnect the motor until you become more familiar with the circuit operation or you may burn out your motor.

Tom

Thanks tom, makes sense. My Corvette uses open and close limit switches as well. Could the open limit switch be gummy? the car sat for 5 years

15 hours ago, crowvet said:

No, they are supposed to open instantly when the switch is pulled. Check for power at the brown wire going to the headlamp motor. It should have 

power as soon as the headlamp switch knob is pulled. If it does and the there is a delay on the doors opening, you have a bad headlight visor motor. If

the delay is being caused by the brown wire staying dead for 1 minute, you most likely have a bad main relay on the left inner fender (the one with 4 prongs)  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Seafoam65 said:

No, they are supposed to open instantly when the switch is pulled. Check for power at the brown wire going to the headlamp motor. It should have 

power as soon as the headlamp switch knob is pulled. If it does and the there is a delay on the doors opening, you have a bad headlight visor motor. If

the delay is being caused by the brown wire staying dead for 1 minute, you most likely have a bad main relay on the left inner fender (the one with 4 prongs)  

Thank you, sounds easy enough to check. I will start here.

When you are checking the brown wire with a test light when you turn on the lights, after the clamshells open, check the black wire

going to the motor while they are open and the headlamps are on. If the black wire lights your light under these conditions, the limiter switches

on the motor are bad or out of adjustment and the motor is still trying to run after the visors are open. This must be fixed or the motor will burn out

in short order. Likewise, when you turn off the lights, the black wire will energize, closing the visors. After they are closed, probe the brown wire for power.

If it lights your light the motor is still trying to run after the visors are closed, and in either of these scenarios, you will need to unplug the motor until

you get the limiter switches working. I can walk you through any diagnosing you need to do to pin your problems down on the headlamp visors. Do

the checks I have outlined so far and get back to me with your findings.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, 1965rivgs said:

Hi Daryle,

Same headlight motor...Usually the adjustment if that is your problem.

Tom

Hi Tom,

Interesting to hear the '65 headlight motor is the same motor used for the '63-'67 Corvette hideaway headlamps.

I heard the Riviera headlamp visor motor was created by modifying a vent window motor.  Same motor, except the transmission gear for the visor setup is different from the vent motor setup.

I also heard that one can make a visor motor from a power vent window motor by transplanting the transmission parts from the top, after drilling and tapping some holes for mounting the motor.

Is this true?

• Like 1

On 11/22/2018 at 8:12 PM, crowvet said:

P1070377.JPG

Hi Daryle,

Congratulations on your new '65 Riviera, and on your excellent taste in cars.  I see you also own a '67 Corvette.  

That's a coincidence, as so do I!   Here's my '67 coupe next to my '65 Riv:

image.thumb.png.5f4e96bb8ac4b8eb2b5c61b60d32b107.png

I'm a few hundred miles north of you, in Vancouver, BC.  

How long have you owned your Sting Ray?

Welcome to the group!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, 65VerdeGS said:

Hi Daryle,

Congratulations on your new '65 Riviera, and on your excellent taste in cars.  I see you also own a '67 Corvette.  

That's a coincidence, as so do I!   Here's my '67 coupe next to my '65 Riv:

image.thumb.png.5f4e96bb8ac4b8eb2b5c61b60d32b107.png

I'm a few hundred miles north of you, in Vancouver, BC.  

How long have you owned your Sting Ray?

Welcome to the group!

Thank you Alex, I bought the 67 in 2005. I did a frame off in 05/06. They are even pretty close in color. Here is a picture of my 67

P1070277.JPG

• Like 1

On 11/26/2018 at 7:49 PM, crowvet said:

Thank you Alex, I bought the 67 in 2005. I did a frame off in 05/06. They are even pretty close in color. Here is a picture of my 67

P1070277.JPG

Hi Daryle,

Nice '67!  Is it Lynwood or Elkhart Blue?  What color is the interior?  Which motor does it have?  

My '67 coupe has the standard 300hp 327 engine. I bought my Corvette four years ago, from a local seller who''d had had it for over 35 years.  I sent away to the NCRS to get the Production Data Report, which says my car was built on April 11, 1967 and sold new in Manhattan Beach, California. Too bad such records do not exist for the early Rivieras!  The previous owner of my Corvette told me that he imported it into Canada in the early 80's.  It's fairly well optioned, with factory A/C, PS, PB, tinted glass, leather seats, speed minder, etc.  It started life as Lynwood Blue which was changed to Marina Blue a long time ago.  Not sure why, but that's how it now is.

I'd be interested to hear the story behind your Corvette.  Have you been able to trace its history back to the original owner?   Do you participate in any of the Corvette clubs, either NCRS, or locally?

Back to Rivieras (after all this is a RIviera list!) could you relay the story behind how you came to own your '65?  Were you looking for one of these for a long time?  Or did your gold Riv pop up and you couldn't resist?

Cheers,

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 65VerdeGS said:

Hi Daryle,

Nice '67!  Is it Lynwood or Elkhart Blue?  What color is the interior?  Which motor does it have?  

My '67 coupe has the standard 300hp 327 engine. I bought my Corvette four years ago, from a local seller who''d had had it for over 35 years.  I sent away to the NCRS to get the Production Data Report, which says my car was built on April 11, 1967 and sold new in Manhattan Beach, California. Too bad such records do not exist for the early Rivieras!  The previous owner of my Corvette told me that he imported it into Canada in the early 80's.  It's fairly well optioned, with factory A/C, PS, PB, tinted glass, leather seats, speed minder, etc.  It started life as Lynwood Blue which was changed to Marina Blue a long time ago.  Not sure why, but that's how it now is.

I'd be interested to hear the story behind your Corvette.  Have you been able to trace its history back to the original owner?   Do you participate in any of the Corvette clubs, either NCRS, or locally?

Back to Rivieras (after all this is a RIviera list!) could you relay the story behind how you came to own your '65?  Were you looking for one of these for a long time?  Or did your gold Riv pop up and you couldn't resist?

Cheers,

I bought my Corvette in 2005 from an elderly woman in Oregon. The car had been sitting in a barn for 27 years. She bought the car in 1970 in San Diego California . She told me that her and her husband to be had put new tires, exhaust, and battery on the car and made the move to Oregon. The car sat in the barn ever since. After getting the car home I decided to start a frame off restoration on the car. My goal was to make one improvement to the car daily.Although I new the car was highly optioned I had no idea what I was about to discover about this car. Options include, A/C, P/S, PW, Auto Transmission, Telescopic steering wheel, Headrests, Tinted glass all windows, AM/FM radio, Leather interior. My paint code did not match any paint codes used on 1967 Corvettes. After removing the body I found the build sheet still in tact and discovered why. This car was a COPO (central office purchase order) These cars were special ordered cars used for brass hat GM officials or show car purposes. My paint code is 0001AA, The build sheet specify s that this was the only 67 Corvette made with Elkhart Blue exterior and Bright Blue interior. Standard interior colors with Elkhart blue were black or teal. Another interesting thing about the car is its VIN code. It was the last car built in February of 1967.I also have paperwork found in the glove box indicating the car was picked up at the factory by the original owner. This sheet lists the equipment and condition of all components, it has been signed by David Cole, Rex Graves, and the original owner. This is a pretty rare document. I bought the car in August of 2005 and licensed it at DMV in August of 2006. The restoration took me 10 months. The car is matching #,s and retains about 75% of its original components. Items such as carpet, door panels and minor trim pieces needed to be replaced and account for the other 25%. I truly enjoyed restoring this car and enjoy taking it out to local show and shines in the summer time. I hope you enjoyed my story. Now for the Riv..I had a customer at my shop who was in the motion picture industry, he has lots of cars including a 1958 Rolls silver shadow and some kind of Ferrari, I am not much into the foreign cars, so couldn't really tell you what it is. he bought the Riviera from tho original owner 7 years ago. I told him to let me know if he ever wanted to sell. He called me the day before thanksgiving and said he realized he was never going to get to the car. He has been without work for a year and they are selling their house and moving. I went and looked expecting to find a piece of crap like I usually go look at LOL, but instead here is this very straight original car. The paint is original as is everything else on the car. Most everything works. Unfortunately he let it sit for 5 years in not the most ideal storage situation. It would not start when I looked at it. I discovered it needed points, he had a set and i put them in and bang, first crank, No smoke, no clatter, purred like a kitten. I drove it and we agreed on a price and now here I am again with a car I planned on turning, but can't... It is the best driving old car I have ever driven. needs paint, lots of detailing and some interior sprucing up. The dash is PERFECT...I now love the car so much that I will probably be keeping it Sorry bought the book, but you asked LOL    

The 67 Vette is one of my all time favorite cars. Absolute pinnacle of design, IMO. 

I didn't know Riv's came with air shocks. I have them on mine, but i'm certain they're aftermarket. Where i'm from originally, air shocks were white trash, you put them on your camaro to raise it up enough to get the super wide tires to stop rubbing the fenders.

• Like 1

On 11/23/2018 at 6:56 PM, RivNut said:

There are three separate courtesy light circuits.  There are lights in the sail panels, on the sides of the console, above the glove box, and in the back of the console.  One circuit is controlled by the light switch which when turned fully counter clockwise will activate the sail panels.  The light above the glove and console side lights have the switch under the dash.  The light in the back of the console has a built in switch.  All three circuits are tied into the door jamb switches.  All of the switches are on the ground wire side of the switch.  

There are a number of different threads that deal with trouble shooting these light systems.

Can you provide a link to these threads? I am not finding them. Someone has cobbled it up. 3 wire jamb switch on the right and two wire in the left with the purple wire scotch locked into the white wire.