Sign in to follow this  
Dave Henderson

Hydraulic brake tubing

Back in the day when I was in the service dept. at the local Buick dealer we ran into this a lot here in the state of Vermont.  What would bring the car in was either a brake or fuel leak.  Many times, the area that was leaking was at or near the pipe clamps.  It was quickly discovered that other soft areas were present at nearly every other pipe clamp.  So, we'd end up replacing the pipe from one end to the other.  We'd also replace the fuel pipes because they were in similar condition.  There were other instances where we'd see a car come in with a fuel leak and we'd  see brand new brake pipes.  The customer had just been somewhere else to get the brake pipes fixed and the other garage failed to do their customer the favor of replacing the fuel pipes at the same time so the customer was forced to pay twice.

So, my recommendation is to replace all of the pipes and be done with it.

Wes in VT 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tripwire said:

The customer had just been somewhere else to get the brake pipes fixed and the other garage failed to do their customer the favor of replacing the fuel pipes at the same time so the customer was forced to pay twice.

That one made me smile. Somehow the customer never sees that as a favor. "Yeah, they get you in the shop and the look for all kinds of problems." Favors and charitable acts are kind of like touching a hot stove if you do enough.

When I was in High School I never had to go to the auto parts for brake lines. Just go over the the rear end pile that had been cut out of junked cars. I could always find a length of shiny new line, lots of them. Kind of an indication that the mechanic could have suggested a cheaper, but greater favor.