Carolina Chevrolet

1931 Buick pieces and parts

Today while way up in the mountains I came across a partial 31 Buick that had been converted to a saw mill power unit. The straight 8 engine ,transmission,  front half of the frame are still there.  The firewall tags are how I figured out what it was.  It's free for the taking , I can get a track hoe to it and load it on a trailer. Do you think this is a waste of time, or do you think I could sell a few pieces off it ?  It has no hood and has been exposed to the elements for several decades. The oil pan looks ok, clutch + brake levers could be salvaged as well as a few interior knobs , manifold appeared ok, etc.  I can't really get a few of the pieces, it's an all or none type situation. I can get some pictures of it next week, but I'm thinking that if I can help supply someone with a needed part or two I'll haul it on in. 

A Chevy guy saving a Buick … very good of you.

If it was a Ford I would say leave it 😉

• Like 1

It may have some internal parts I need. I am not sure if 31 and 32 have the same lifter carrier assemblies but that's what I can use. They are not too difficult to get out. If someone  can speak to the compatibility issue that would be great. Ultimately I'm am looking for these tin retainers but will buy the entire carrier assemblies with lifters if compatible. 

20181107_065933.jpg

If by chance it is a 60 series car that still has the horizontal oil filter mount I'm still looking for the oil filter bracket which should be bolted right behind the water pump and 4 bracket mounting bolts.  I have the clamp bands that hold the filter to the bracket.  Could be that stuff is all dissolved by ma nature but had to ask...

Dave

Pictures would be great. I would think that there must be something of value and might be useful to someone.

• Like 2

So did you ever go get this car?  Is it a 60 series, 80 series or 90 series (this info would be on the firewall tag where it says model number, I.E. 8-64, 8-65, 8-66, 8-66S, 8-67 are the 60 series, 8-86, 8-67 are 80 series and 8-90, 8-90L, 8-91, 8-94, 8-95, 8-96 and 8-96S are the 90 series possibilities.  I really trying hard to come up with an oil filter bracket and bolts for my model 8-66S project.  Any help you can give there highly appreciated.  The filter mounts horizontally, held to the bracket by 2 straps and is located right behind the water pump on the right side of the engine.  I have a good set of straps, need the bracket and 4 mounting bolts.

Thanks.

Dave 

Inked31-Buick-66-S_Sport-DV-10-GG_e01-800[1]_LI.jpg

I may be interested in the distributor, depending on condition. 

Thank you for your preservation efforts!

I didn't make it back up there this week, but am scheduled to be there next week.  I'll get some pictures then.  You guys get first dibbs  on any useable parts. 

• Like 1

Some of you folks have plenty of pictures of your restorations. I am trying to figure out what goes on the oil pump of my 32 344 90. Here is a picture of what I have. Hope someone can provide a picture of what I don't have.

20181204_152549.jpg

I don't have any pictures of the oil pump on my car because the engine restoration was done by someone else before I got the car.  Looking at your picture what is obviously missing is a big round stamped steel pickup housing that is gasketed to the gear cover of the pump in at least 5 of the 6 screws there and also gasketed on the left side of your picture to the pressure relief valve housing with one attaching screw.  Then there is a screen that covers the whole pickup housing attached to a stud welded to the housing by a nut, lock and flat washers.  Here are 3 illustrations from the 31 specs and adjustments with cutaways of the engine, the oiling system and oil temp regulator and temp regulator operating chart that show the pickup housing at least, you may have to use your imagination on the screen.

80_90 eng cutaway.jpg

Oil temp reg chart.jpg

Oil_temp reg.jpg

Edited by Str8-8-Dave (see edit history)

Thanks 8 Dave

Not only the images helpful but the information in the text will be very beneficial at start time.

Thanks for coming through. 

Tony

Hey Tony- the 2 holes on the relief valve housing should NOT be blocked off as they are the dump holes when the relief valve opens.  If you block them off you will deadhead the relief valve defeating it's purpose.

Dave

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Str8-8-Dave said:

Hey Tony- the 2 holes on the relief valve housing should NOT be blocked off as they are the dump holes when the relief valve opens.  If you block them off you will deadhead the relief valve defeating it's purpose.

Dave

Roger that Dave. 

Made my own screen. After reading this thing takes a dozen quarts I'm surprised it needs a pump at all. Seems like two more quarts and the oil will flow out the rocker cover vent. I plan on plumbing in a secondary pressure gauge near the oil filter.

Bummer on the oil filter bracket, it definitely would have been correct for my car.  Thanks a ton for trying and your response...

Dave