gasket compound on manifold gaskets

Hubert_25-25

Do you put anything like copper coat on the copper manifold gaskets that do combination intake and exhaust duty, or do you just install these as is?  I sprayed my head gasket with copper coat, but that is a slightly different service.      Hugh

DSCF7048.thumb.JPG.458eca2bf609363ffe988da542fd7515.JPG

Edited by Hubert_25-25 (see edit history)

Hay .....where did you get that photo? It sure looks like my kitchen table. FYI. I did do a light coat of copper spray on my manifold gaskets. The upper ones are new from Olsen's. They are twice as thick as the original Victors shown below. I did prep the NOS gaskets with a Scotch-brite and lacquer thinner before installation.

DSCF7049.thumb.JPG.5d2f57d8f0250493623448b0298cd6c4.JPG

I used new studs (Fastenal) and stainless nuts.

DSCF7053.thumb.JPG.28fa5c4e0025d683fa92191fc9ca1ce7.JPG

• Like 5

For the crack prone exhaust manifold on the 1941 dual carb motors I make a slurry of powdered graphite and a little oil and apply to both sides of the exhaust manifold copper gasket. This allows for some expansion and contraction without drag and subsequent manifold cracking. Also important to use conical spring washers again for allowing movement without losing the seal and vacuum. I find jeep Wrangler washers to be the perfect size for my 41. I also use torque to a lower then specified 18lbs. Have had no cracks and great vacuum with very good wiper blade action.

• Like 3