Hello, first time submitting a question on this forum. Just purchased a 1963 Riviera ( pictures coming later ). Loved the body lines for

many years. Finally purchased one, but can anyone tell me what this is and what is it's use?

Hope the item is visible.

Thanks in advance,

Dennis.

engine shot with arrow.jpg

• Confused 1

So am I. Never saw a green cylinder with a hose that went into the air cleaner and had electrical on top on any car.

I have researched this and can't find anything on it.

Looks like it MIGHT be some kind of an old water injection set-up.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

19 minutes ago, telriv said:

Looks like it MIGHT be some kind of an old water injection set-up.

I am sure there is a complete science behind "water injection" but it just sounds counter productive in relation to internal combustion and a cast iron engine block (water + CI = RUST) :huh:

One thing for sure. It ain't stock.

This is a water injection system. They were popular to install in the 80's when you could no longer buy premium leaded fuel,

in order to stop spark knock and pinging on high compression engines. Believe it or not, they actually worked, and some 60's

high compression engines were not driveable without water injection on the crap gas they sold back then.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Its a pseudoscience apparatus with successes based on anecdotal experiences. - You can use those terms next time you talk to a politician who is saving the Earth.

A rotten egg on the gas pedal will work as well. You are real gentle when you don't want to break the eggshell and, wow, the engine doesn't ping.

I know another one about how the cowboy kept from getting chapped lips, but I'm not going to risk it.

Bernie

I wouldn't use it, I don't know that I would get rid of it either..interesting conversation piece and automobilia artifact, certainly isn't bothering anybody.

Kind of like buying a house with a Virgin Mary out front... Steve

Dennis can you take off the air cleaner cover  and take a pictureso we can see what's under the hood?

Edited by gungeey (see edit history)
  • Haha 1

Yes, I have seen these before on cars with large engines that got poor gas mileage. When the price of gas went up, people got very inventive on things that would give you power and better fuel economy, and use much less gas.  We are talking about roughly 1980s and 1990s.

This is actually referred to as a hydrogen generator, or sometimes as a fuel cell.  Most guys did not buy them, you bought plans from someone to build your own.  It is true snake oil pseudo-science.  Imagine the allure of running your car just on tap water.

Typical:

http://fuel-efficient-vehicles.org/energy-news/?page_id=927

Background:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanley_Meyer's_water_fuel_cell

Lots more here:

https://www.google.com/search?q=hydrogen+generator+plans+1990+automotive&oq=hydrogen+generator+plans+1990+automotive&aqs=chrome..69i57.20179j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Water injection (which does actually work quite well -- was used in large radial aircraft engines for take-off power for years) connects to a large vacuum line, like the PCV hose, to dump the water or alcohol right into the air/fuel stream.  I can explain how it works to anyone that is interested.

Edited by Jim Cannon (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

first "fuel cell" i'd seen actually installed. If that stuff worked, OEM's would be all over it.

What's that weird shaped box between the AC compressor, and the heaterbox? Add on cruise control?

6 hours ago, jsgun said:

first "fuel cell" i'd seen actually installed. If that stuff worked, OEM's would be all over it.

What's that weird shaped box between the AC compressor, and the heaterbox? Add on cruise control?

On 1963 models, that is the Heater-A/C control box.  All of the electrical switches and vacuum control valves are packaged up in there.  They are operated by cables that run out from the control knobs under the dash.

• Like 1

gungeey - Here are two pictures under the air cleaner. Sorry, I just had the car delivered Sunday. First real chance I had to go over the whole car.

There was no special equipment under the air cleaner top. The hose laying  on  the valve cover was just screwed into the top.

IMG_0446.jpg

IMG_0447.jpg

• Like 1

Jim Cannon - It looks like you are correct..One side of the quart cylinder has a tag on it stating H2O OUT,  the other says SOR (Sensor).

It looks like it is a HHO generator.

Many dual quad cars were converted back to single carb at this time too. I remember home built kits for electronic ignition and other "improvements" for better gas mileage, but do not remember water injection as an option.