Help identify this carb?

aussiecowboy

Stromberg-Zenith 1930’s and 1940’s units were sold and distributed out of France. Yours is marked Brittish which I have not seen before. Looks like an EX-32 or EX-22 of some type. It’s unusual and may be military. S-Z units were used on many cars and trucks, and they are “good” carbs to use as the perform and tune easily. What ever it’s application, they tend to only be in demand if the vehicle is missing its carb, or a heavy handed mechanic breaks off the bowl from leaning on it too hard. After looking it over again it may be early post war.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)

A few Commer trucks came to North America but they sold in very small numbers. There were plenty of domestic trucks on the market at reasonable prices and few Business owners  were interested in an import truck. Dealer back up could be quite spotty where as almost any small town could keep a domestic truck earning its keep.

Humber's-, Snipes, Super Snipes and even the occasional smaller model {Scepter ?} were  not   uncommon here in Canada as British cars were decent sellers in the later 1950's and in to the 1960's.

Greg in Canada

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

Two pictures of Commer trucks (a 1911 and a 1919)that my Grandfather drove in Winnipeg.  Also a drawing of the Commer TS3 engine built in the late forties and fifties.  Winnipeg had a fleet of Commer trucks outfitted for garbage collection powered by this engine.

Commer TS3

Configuration three-cylinder, six-piston opposed piston engine with rocker drive to a single crankshaft.

Displacement 3.261 litres (200 cu in)

Cylinder bore 3 ¼ inch (83 mm)

Piston stroke 4 inch (102 mm)

Combustion

Fuel type Diesel

Oil system Wet sump

Cooling system Water-cooled

Power output 105 brake horsepower (78 kW) at 2,400 rpm

Torque output 270 lb.ft at 1,200 rpm

1911Commer.jpg

1919Commer.jpg

commer-compression-cycle.png

images.jpg

That's interesting . I lived in Winnipeg when I was young . The family moved to the Vancouver area in 1966 when I had just finished grade 2.  I was attracted to cars from quite a young age however trucks and buses did not at that time have much interest to me. Possibly those garbage trucks are something I saw and took no special interest in. The green cab over looks like a truck that many would have assumed was domestically produced . About the only trucks that impressed me in my Winnipeg youth were the Mack ready mix cement trucks . There was a concrete plant reasonably close to where I lived and I regularly saw "B' series Mack's on their way to and from job sites.

Greg

The Rootes diesel of these Commers was virtually a derivative from the Krupp Junkers diesel engines,  but possibly a bit better.   One of our friends moved to Adelaide , South  Austral;ia in the late 1950s; and established  a  "milk-run" type business with refrigerated semi-trailer vans.     They would load an tie down the truck and load of fresh fruit and vegetables on north-bound railway flat goods trucks.   From Alice Springs to Darwin they would drive.   After the first one had done 80,000 miles, which was considered to be about the useful life of a side valve Ford V8,  Vic Wilson decided to se if the Commer needed new piston rings,  ( because it was a dusty un-sealed road then .)   Nothing was worn, so they re-assembled it and never looked again.  The Commer had chrome plated cylinder bores, and if I remember correctly, the Humber Super Snipe may also have had that.  I looked at the old Commer petrol engine of Les Christian's welder.  They used it for decades   rebuilding worn track rails for their logging     bulldozers  with a 4-500 amp DC welder.    The carb is different to that shown.  It is an English Solex  diecast of muck-metal 'which is probably beyond usefulness after countless years in "the big shed.