Yet another 57 Roadmaster

Are you glad we didn't just "fix the bad spots?" ūüėĀ

Black Betty is really coming together!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Smartin said:

Are you glad we didn't just "fix the bad spots?" ūüėĀ

Black Betty is really coming together!

Yes!  I've also surpassed my prior intentions with some of the chrome I've installed, but dang I like it!

Posted (edited)

I found out the front seat is ready so hope to pick it up and install it Saturday.  Can't wait for that!

I am really getting attached to this car, which is bad since I can't keep it.  Either that, or I need to sell another one (convertible or coupe).  I am officially out of space, besides the money I have wrapped up.  I would really like to keep one of each body style.  That BLACK though!

Somebody will get a great car...

Edited by lancemb (see edit history)

Posted (edited)

So, the day started off well, but I ran into some trouble.

First thing in the morning I went to pick up my front seat, with new foam and center upholstery.  It looks great!

When I got home, while the car was up on the lift I decided I'd take care of the starter.  It's been acting up since I got the car and needed to be taken care of, so I figured I'd replace it so that when I put the seat in I wouldn't have to worry about it and could just hop in for a short test drive.

After I installed it I was shocked at how quickly the engine turned over and fired up!  And no more solenoid backing off after 2 seconds!

I went to shut the engine down so I could install the seat, but the engine wouldn't shut off!  I killed the engine and pondered it while I had some lunch.  I thought the ignition switch may have given out and shorted, since I had a similar problem shortly after getting the blue 57 back on the road after a long hibernation.  Since I already had a new one, I installed it.  Again, the car fired right up and sounded great, but again wouldn't shut off! 

I decided to get the seat in the car as it was still sitting in my truck, and I still had grass to mow before dinner.  I completed that and thought I'd fire up the car again and try disconnecting the battery feed from the switch in case it was faulty.  The car cranked fine, but wouldn't start!  

At this point I am thinking the old relay must have fried, but I didn't have one handy. 

So, I ordered a relay and will install that next week, and pray that solves the problem.  If it does, I can move on to cleaning up the interior, and take it for a long-awaited test drive!  If that doesn't work I'm kind of stumped.  Here's the seat though.  When I get the rest cleaned up I'll take some more pics.

20190810_161546.thumb.jpg.53ead7f0cb408a893d47be9596aef47f.jpg

• Like 4

@Lance sounds like the small wires on the solenoid are touching the battery cable post? Thats a classic symptom. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, JohnD1956 said:

@Lance sounds like the small wires on the solenoid are touching the battery cable post? Thats a classic symptom. 

You mean on the starter solenoid?  They looked to be insulated well but lighting wasn't the best so I'll certainly check!  Thanks for the tip.

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, lancemb said:

You mean on the starter solenoid?  They looked to be insulated well but lighting wasn't the best so I'll certainly check!  Thanks for the tip.

Probably would be the yellow wire.  If not touching the big lug, check for voltage there...the only time it is "hot" is during cranking to bypass the ballast resistor for hotter spark.  As a test you can disconnect that wire.

• Like 1

She lives!  Old-tank was spot-on (thank you!).  The terminals on the replacement starter solenoid were just a bit different such that the well-aged bend in the battery wire needed to be modified so as to not touch the adjacent terminal.  It was making contact just below the edge of the insulation and causing my issues.  After I corrected that, it fired right up and shut down with the key in off position!

After that was corrected, I proceeded to do a quick clean up on the interior.  It's not fully cleaned yet, but looks worlds better!

20190819_180444.thumb.jpg.4cd9cedf7e6850d2b100395491795d21.jpg20190819_180534.thumb.jpg.848da36f2ca042f48e36134bad6a99ae.jpg

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Finally, it was time for a test drive!  I took it to the hardware store to get some fasteners for the license plate, then to the gas station for a few extra gallons.  It got lots of looks and comments on that short drive!

It ran pretty dang well for being off the road for so long.  Speedo cable sounds just a little noisy, brakes need to be adjusted a bit, turn signals checked and a few other nagging items, but overall it was a great run!  It has tons of power and accelerates well!

20190819_181826.thumb.jpg.88eebeb409f8b11d42791fbb52fcaaa8.jpg20190819_181847.thumb.jpg.9f363c16904d7f419fd0b6798ce75426.jpg

• Like 5

The interior looks like a different car!  It was pretty gross in there.  What are you using to clean the vinyl - like the door panels and dash pad?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Smartin said:

The interior looks like a different car!  It was pretty gross in there.  What are you using to clean the vinyl - like the door panels and dash pad?

Yeah there are still some aged spots (like Big Blue) and carpet still discolored in a similar fashion, but most of the vinyl cleaned up pretty well.  It still needs a second round though.  I used Simple Green with a small brush and toothbrush for hard to reach spots, followed by a wipe with glass cleaner.

• Like 1

Curious Lance,

How is the foam on the seats?

My Limited seat foam is hard and afraid it will crumble when I start using the car which will allow the material to shift and pull stitching out or worse tear the material.

Obviously getting them reupholstered/foam replaced at a minimum is the answer but need to look into a place that might be able to save the upholstery and get a price.

Recent events have me motivated to get at the car this winter. (as does the progress on your '57's)

9 minutes ago, dei said:

Curious Lance,

How is the foam on the seats?

My Limited seat foam is hard and afraid it will crumble when I start using the car which will allow the material to shift and pull stitching out or worse tear the material.

The foam in front was crunchy...it has all been replaced.  Back is a bit stiff but not totally so.  You are right though... if stiff you'll definitely want to replace it.

14 minutes ago, lancemb said:

The foam in front was crunchy...it has all been replaced.  Back is a bit stiff but not totally so.  You are right though... if stiff you'll definitely want to replace it.

So from what I see in your pictures the foam was able to be replaced and you used the original seat material which you cleaned up using your magic solutions?

The '58 and '57s share the same seat designs so trusting the foam replacement would be the same type construction. 

I didn't take many good pictures of the parts car seats to recall the type of foam construction but finding a reasonable place to do the work (short of something like RM) will be my challenge.

Your work on the cars are an inspiration and look forward to your posts!

Keep up the good work. 

2 hours ago, dei said:

So from what I see in your pictures the foam was able to be replaced and you used the original seat material which you cleaned up using your magic solutions?

The '58 and '57s share the same seat designs so trusting the foam replacement would be the same type construction. 

I didn't take many good pictures of the parts car seats to recall the type of foam construction but finding a reasonable place to do the work (short of something like RM) will be my challenge.

Your work on the cars are an inspiration and look forward to your posts!

Keep up the good work. 

Thanks Doug.  I rely on many others' expertise though!

I did replace the inside fabric on the front seat as it was torn up; the leather surround and the rest is original.  I did not replace anything in the back or elsewhere.  It's a bit stiff in back seat, but not as bad as the front was.  Upholstery guy said it would be no problem to replace just the foam on the rear though and keep original material, if I wanted to.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

My battery was kaputt, and was way too small anyway, so last weekend I ventured to a couple different parts stores with my hold down bracket in hand to attempt to find one that fit well without having to order a reproduction style.  I was happy to come across one that fit nearly perfectly, except for 3 things.

1) I had to cut some plastic sprues off the top on one side and about 1/4" of the handle to make the bracket fit correctly

2) It was about 1/2" too tall for the bolts

3) The posts were threaded studs.

Issue 1 only took about 3 minutes to correct with a utility knife.

Issue 2 required ordering new bolts (had to order 25 of them, so if anyone else wants to do this I have bolts).

Issue 3 required ordering post adapters (about $10 delivered).

The end result is quite nice.  For a total investment of about $170 I have a nice-fitting, super-powerful battery that fits well!  Even the very short (original length) positive cable reaches perfectly!  Plus I've got 23 spare bolts!

20190829_174846.jpg

• Like 3

Nice work!

On your battery hold down bracket there are those rubber corner pads, I know I have seen them offered somewhere but cannot remember where. Yours look to be new, mind sharing where you got them?

1 hour ago, dei said:

On your battery hold down bracket there are those rubber corner pads, I know I have seen them offered somewhere but cannot remember where. Yours look to be new, mind sharing where you got them?

CARS has them.   2 are new and 2 are original.

Apparently this is a farm fleet battery size.  I remember with the 58 the only place I could find one of those batteries was at a farm and fleet store.

• Thanks 1

I use that truck/bus group 31 battery in my 55's, but did not have to trim anything.  Not as cosmetically pleasing but I just cut the bolt and spliced and brazed a section of tubing to stretch to fit.

I have listed the car for sale on Ebay.  If it doesn't sell, I'll either hold onto it for awhile and work out a few bugs maybe, or explore other options to sell it.  I really need the space though, so something has to go before long.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/293207799776

Good luck on the sale Lance.

She sure looks good! 

• Like 1