lancemb

Yet another 57 Roadmaster

6 hours ago, old-tank said:

Clean up a small representative area and match to some acrylic enamel rattle can paint.  Use your blast cabinet (glass beads, low pressure) and strip it right.

The original finish has a "textured" look to it that I don't think I can replicate.  If I can save it and 90% of it looks good and I can touch up a couple spots, I'll leave it.  If not, or if I'm not satisfied with it, I'll go ahead and redo it...

I may try a combination of the Simple Green (or something similar) first, then rubbing compound.  My thought is that since this thing probably had some dirt on it when it was blasted with black, I can penetrate under much of the paint and lift it.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, old-tank said:

Now that we know that you have time on your hands:  clay bar it.

Very funny...time is definitely not a surplus.  However, I think I'll figure out if it's salvageable within an hour.  I just like to save original parts that are not too far gone.

• Like 2

On 11/24/2018 at 12:13 PM, old-tank said:

Clean up a small representative area and match to some acrylic enamel rattle can paint.  Use your blast cabinet (glass beads, low pressure) and strip it right.

I agree with Willie. I have done many of those by low pressure blasting on the metal top, tape off the plastic parts though..and follow Fr. Buick's approach to nylon stiff bristle brush and either Simple Green or Citrus Based Cleaner. It will take a bit, but will clean up nicely.

As loose as that black paint looks you might try pressure washing it off. 

Be careful with leaving Simple Green or Greased Lightening on too long as it can etch/dull the original paint. 

• Like 1

Progress continues.  Thank God for the parts car. 

57324755075__2CA58D72-DF80-4876-86E2-3C61979F8514.JPG

IMG_1791.jpg

• Like 3

Looking good. Looking forward to a video of a running nailhead!  Keep us posted!  

• Like 1

Thanks John...I can't wait to get it cut and buffed!  That will be weeks away, though.  I have to get it running now.

1 hour ago, Smartin said:

Thanks John...I can't wait to get it cut and buffed!  That will be weeks away, though.  I have to get it running now.

With that mirror finish on the trunk you plan to cut and buff it?  Why?  

There is quite a bit of orange peel on the majority of the car.  The horizontal panels flowed out really nice but the vertical surfaces are lumpy

Oh man, just wait until that chrome goes on!  The Garnet 75 will hate to see it go!  I am getting giddy...

• Like 2

The wind was crazy yesterday, and whipped up a massive amount of pollen.  You can see the fenders in the video are highly pollenated LOL

Once the exhaust is fixed, it will sound a ton better.  At idle, it's a bit "Christine" ...

• Haha 1

I checked a small test area on the passenger side door to see if the paint was cured enough to cut and buff.  The paint loaded up on the paper just a tad, so that is telling me it needs more time to harden.  But I was able to get a small area relatively flat...so I took the buffer to it.  There are still a few bits of orange peel in that area, but I didn’t want to get too crazy until I know it’s 100% ready to sand.  This should look really sleek once completely cut down.

F842E735-8E6B-481C-90B8-F6C62B9259AD.jpeg

• Like 5

38 minutes ago, SBRMD said:

Dang Adam!  I wish you lived near me.

With those results it would be work the trip!!

Thanks guys.  It’s hard work, but satisfying.

• Like 2