Yet another 57 Roadmaster

lancemb

I checked a small test area on the passenger side door to see if the paint was cured enough to cut and buff.  The paint loaded up on the paper just a tad, so that is telling me it needs more time to harden.  But I was able to get a small area relatively flat...so I took the buffer to it.  There are still a few bits of orange peel in that area, but I didn’t want to get too crazy until I know it’s 100% ready to sand.  This should look really sleek once completely cut down.

F842E735-8E6B-481C-90B8-F6C62B9259AD.jpeg

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The black 75 was delivered Saturday with much fanfare!  After unloading there wasn't really time to do more except enjoy some Mexican lunch with Mr. And Mrs. Smartin.  Sunday was family day so nothing until today, which I took off work to begin to reacquaint myself with the car.  I started the day removing the front seat and loading it to bring to the upholstery shop to get the fabric in the center replaced, and some new foam.

20190715_123401.thumb.jpg.17e4e434df5dfa5d53a60f86028df3cd.jpg

I then began to clean up and install the trunk and side scripts.  After dropping the seat off and doing some parts swapping with Gary (G-G-Go) who will be having one of his 57's finished up in the same shop (which I can't wait to see in person), I headed off to get some paint mixed for the sweepspear trim, using an NOS piece for a sample.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, JohnD1956 said:

@lancemb  @Smartin  Another gorgeous job!  Absolutely GREAT color combo!  and a killer paint job!  That car will be the envy of many, starting with this author! 

Thanks sir!  It is not a perfect show car, but has definitely been given a new lease on life.  This is what it looked like April 2018 before rescue.

Also, I agree on color!  The black with silver/blue interior was a big draw for me.

H2796-L141435741.jpg.cb5e40b63ecbf225b34d19e3f17afd61.jpgH2796-L141435740.jpg.7ad5e6d37d3eddeae9881fb91205798e.jpg

• Like 3

Spent a good part of the day doing more assembly.  Got the front bumpers and grille stuff all on.  I was working up ti the dinner bell so I didn't have time to pull it out to get a good picture but here's a teaser in garage up on the lift.  The front is gonna look really nice!20190727_201728.thumb.jpg.a4afed8722c4ba99b2ee806815e90e23.jpg

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Smartin said:

Looks like you found the marker lights?  Man those tires look like they cleaned up well.

I did find the marker lights but I used another set and replaced a stud on each.  I think I am going to perform harness surgery on those snd use them on the coupe.

The tires look pretty darned nice!  I only wish I had one for the spare...

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, WhipperSnapper said:

Wowee! Beautiful car!

Your chrome work looks fantastic. I love the look of that script on the trunk!

Thank you!  The chrome is not perfect; it has a few warts visible close up, but it's all 1957 chrome...nothing rechromed.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WhipperSnapper said:

I'll be doing the chrome on my 51' Super soon. How did you get it looking so good? 

Well, most of it is not the chrome that came on the car (a few pieces are).  I plucked and collected nice original examples from all of over the place to assemble a collection of nice original chrome.  Unfortunately, no magic cure!

• Like 1

Got the rest of the items on the outside installed today except for the parking light lenses and bulbs (since I didn't have new gaskets yet), and a few things buttoned up under the hood.

I pulled it out to wipe a few smudges off and take pictures, and MAN I wanted to drive it, but still sitting on a step stool for a seat.  Hopefully next weekend I can clean up the interior and the seat will be ready soon.

20190803_170724.thumb.jpg.70219966556f6d67d0ad325847589369.jpg

4 hours ago, Smartin said:

Are you glad we didn't just "fix the bad spots?" 😁

Black Betty is really coming together!

Yes!  I've also surpassed my prior intentions with some of the chrome I've installed, but dang I like it!

I found out the front seat is ready so hope to pick it up and install it Saturday.  Can't wait for that!

I am really getting attached to this car, which is bad since I can't keep it.  Either that, or I need to sell another one (convertible or coupe).  I am officially out of space, besides the money I have wrapped up.  I would really like to keep one of each body style.  That BLACK though!

Somebody will get a great car...

Edited by lancemb (see edit history)

So, the day started off well, but I ran into some trouble.

First thing in the morning I went to pick up my front seat, with new foam and center upholstery.  It looks great!

When I got home, while the car was up on the lift I decided I'd take care of the starter.  It's been acting up since I got the car and needed to be taken care of, so I figured I'd replace it so that when I put the seat in I wouldn't have to worry about it and could just hop in for a short test drive.

After I installed it I was shocked at how quickly the engine turned over and fired up!  And no more solenoid backing off after 2 seconds!

I went to shut the engine down so I could install the seat, but the engine wouldn't shut off!  I killed the engine and pondered it while I had some lunch.  I thought the ignition switch may have given out and shorted, since I had a similar problem shortly after getting the blue 57 back on the road after a long hibernation.  Since I already had a new one, I installed it.  Again, the car fired right up and sounded great, but again wouldn't shut off! 

I decided to get the seat in the car as it was still sitting in my truck, and I still had grass to mow before dinner.  I completed that and thought I'd fire up the car again and try disconnecting the battery feed from the switch in case it was faulty.  The car cranked fine, but wouldn't start!  

At this point I am thinking the old relay must have fried, but I didn't have one handy. 

So, I ordered a relay and will install that next week, and pray that solves the problem.  If it does, I can move on to cleaning up the interior, and take it for a long-awaited test drive!  If that doesn't work I'm kind of stumped.  Here's the seat though.  When I get the rest cleaned up I'll take some more pics.

20190810_161546.thumb.jpg.53ead7f0cb408a893d47be9596aef47f.jpg

Edited by lancemb (see edit history)
  • Like 4